1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley sighting... sort of

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketfan21, Mar 8, 2014.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Not so much of a sighting and more of I just talked to one of my absolute favorite Rockets on the phone.

So I work in Denver, Colorado at a call center for technical repair at Comcast (in before "Comcast sucks!!"). Customer calls in and the last name on the account is Beverley. Being a diehard Rockets fan, things like that catch my attention right away, although the account was under a different first name (wife probably?). After him telling me what the problem was (in before "of course he has problems Comcast sucks!!") who I was speaking with. When he answered with "Patrick Beverley" I started physically shaking like a nervous high school kid approaching the girl he likes. Forcing myself to try to stay calm I continue to help for a moment before chiming in, "So I guess I should throw it out there, I am based out of Denver, but I'm a huge Rockets fan... is this the Mr. Beverley that I'm thinking it is?" Yes sir, he told me. I contained myself the best that I could, congratulated him on the excellent game played last night, and tried my best to remain professional and focus on the problem at hand. During some down time in the conversation, I asked him if the mask is a distraction, to which he said, "It was buggin the heck outta me in practice, so they got me a new one that I like way better and now it's no problem at all." I muted the phone and told anyone who would listen that I was currently on the phone with one of my favorite basketball players in the whole world (unfortunately no one else knew who he was). In the end I was a buffoon and disappointment because I could not fix his TV ("Comcast sucks!!!"). I told him that him video bombing Dwight cracked me up and that in the interview Dwight said, "That was PatMan, the Masked Marvel." That got him laughing pretty hard. I then apologized about 5 times more than I typically would and told him to kick some Blazer butt tomorrow.

Anyways, I know this is really a "Cool story, bro" story, but as someone who spent his whole life as a Rockets fan living in Montana, obviously I have had very little contact with the team that I've loved the last twenty years. It completely made my day, and it was an incredible break from being a verbal punching bag for angry customers, to try to help someone that is such an important piece to a team that I've loved my whole life.

Anyways, cool story bro, Comcast sucks! I talked to one of my idols today! :grin:

14 people like this.
  2. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Cool story bro, and I do mean it

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nice occurrence, sir. And I mean it.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Bro, we need at least a screen shot of his account or something...

5. Dei

Dei Member

How could you not fix his problem?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ran into him at the Pearland Walmart. Cool dude.

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

How awesome... thx for sharing!

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

an actual cool story without pics? itshappening.gif

9. haydenfisher342

Being a Rockets fan from Idaho, I completely understand you. 20 year Rocket fan myself. Cool story bro, I hope to make it to a Rockets game myself someday. Sucks because I have saved my money for tickets and want to make it a special event and go to a Rockets game. Called Htown for tickets and if the Rockets do anything with the fans. Ticket department told me they have no access to the Rockets players. I would pay 1000 bucks for a game, and to meet a couple Rockets players and get some Signatures.

10. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Repped. Comcast sucks! Cool story brah...from the bottom of my heart.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Your best bet is going to a road game and waiting for the players to come out and sign stuff. You'll stick out like a sore thumb wearing red at say, a Jazz game.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Rocket fan from a distance (1500 miles), ha cool.

Ticket office gave you a generic answer.. happens all the time. You should call back and try harder to make them feel you. Tell them your situation (coming from Idaho, 20 year fan), willing to pay money. Go over the rep's head and talk to a superior. Tell a joke, lol. If that fails try and tweet Dwight. Seems he'd gladly give up 2 minutes to meet you before or after the game coming from Idaho, 20 year fan.

You have nothing to lose.

13. NotChandlerParsons

More of a Patrick Beverley hearing, really.

14. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Did you ask him if he had a Dynex TV?

15. jocar

jocar Member

[​IMG]

He's a total badass. I wish DM had signed him on a longer contract

16. pakattak

pakattak Member

Good to know that big time NBA players have trouble with Comcast, too.

COMCAST SUXXXX

17. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I once talked to Ludacris back when I worked tech support for Sprint. He needed help setting up his Blackberry email (this was back in 2008, Disturbing Tha Peace was the actual business name on the account, lol). He was extremely cool, but I would have traded in that experience a billion times out of a billion for yours. Pat Bev is too awesome.

18. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

So comcast being awful actually got you in contact with the Patman? nice!

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Cool. Nice story.

Take care bro.

Seriously that is cool.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Lies.

You were actually in India, or the Philippines.