1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Robertson's at it again...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by plcmts17, Jan 5, 2006.

1. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

What religion is he representing again? Even though I'm a catholic, I didn't support or agree with everything the late pope said, but at least he didn't make himself look like a freaking moron.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1475540

By SONJA BARISIC Associated Press Writer

In Robertson's broadcast from his Christian Broadcasting Network in Virginia Beach, the evangelist said he had personally prayed about a year ago with Sharon, whom he called "a very tender-hearted man and a good friend." He said he was sad to see Sharon in this condition.
    He also said, however, that in the Bible, the prophet Joel "makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who 'divide my land.'"
    Sharon "was dividing God's land and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU (European Union), the United Nations, or the United States of America," Robertson said.
    In discussing what he said was God's insistence that Israel not be divided, Robertson also referred to the 1995 assassination of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, who had sought to achieve peace by giving land to the Palestinians. "It was a terrible thing that happened, but nevertheless he was dead," he said.
    The Anti-Defamation League issued a statement urging Christian leaders to distance themselves from the remarks. Robertson made similar comments as the Gaza withdrawal occurred, it said.
    "It is outrageous and shocking, but not surprising, that Pat Robertson once again has suggested that God will punish Israel's leaders for any decision to give up land to the Palestinians," said Abraham H. Foxman, national director of the group, which fights anti-Semitism. "His remarks are un-Christian and a perversion of religion. Unlike Robertson, we don't see God as cruel and vengeful."

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

how old is he?

i'd like to put him in my death pool.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

God hates peace

4. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Lock her up!! And I swear to you mc mark,on Pat Robertson's soul, that I didn't plagerize you. It was synchronicity........by about 10 hours. In the spirit of the goodwill, I will nominate you for the most plagerized poster of the new year.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Pat Robertson is Satan.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

No worries mate!

If you posting this thread would in any way shame Robertson into finding the true meaning of Christianity, I say boot away! :)

7. anas

anas Contributing Member

pat says a lot of stupid stuff and does a lot of stupid stuff I mean what do you expect he vote for bush.

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Finally he gets bit in the wallet for spouting off...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/12/i...200&en=eae2747c8413ef73&ei=5065&partner=MYWAY

Israelis' Anger at Evangelist May Delay Christian Center

By GREG MYRE
    Published: January 12, 2006
    JERUSALEM, Jan. 11 - Israel said Wednesday that it was breaking off negotiations on a tourism project with the evangelical leader Pat Robertson in response to his remarks suggesting that Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution.

"We cannot accept these statements, and we will not sign any contracts with Mr. Robertson," said Ido Hartuv, a spokesman for the Tourism Ministry.

Israel has been in advanced negotiations with American evangelicals over a proposal for a large pilgrimage and tourism center in the hills near the Sea of Galilee, where Jesus lived and preached. Mr. Robertson has been the leading figure in the negotiations. Mr. Hartuv said Israel would be willing to continue the talks without him.

A spokeswoman for Mr. Robertson, Angell Watts, said in a statement from Virginia Beach: "We have not talked to the Israelis on this topic. We continue to maintain our longstanding commitment to the Jewish people and the State of Israel."

Under the proposal, Israel planned to provide at least 35 acres for the project, the Christian Heritage Center, and the evangelicals intended to raise $50 million for construction. Reports have said it would include a theme park, an auditorium and an outdoor theater.

Israel hopes the project would draw large numbers of Christian tourists from around the world and generate thousands of jobs in a thinly populated region that the government has long struggled to develop.

But Mr. Robertson upset many Israelis by suggesting Mr. Sharon's devastating stroke last Wednesday was divine punishment for pulling Israel out of Gaza last summer.

"God considers this land to be his," Mr. Robertson said Thursday on his television program, "The 700 Club." "For any prime minister of Israel who decides he will carve it up and give it away, God said, 'No, this is mine.' "

"I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course," Mr. Robertson added.

He went on to say Mr. Sharon was a "very likable person and I am sad to see him in this condition."

Evangelicals are strong supporters of Israel, and have formed alliances with various groups, particularly those opposed to any territorial concessions to the Palestinians. Israel has generally welcomed the political and financial support.

"Evangelicals are the best friends of Israel and they are very, very welcome here," Mr. Hartuv said.

Mr. Sharon's condition improved slightly on Wednesday, his doctors said. "We are pleased that there are small phases of development in the prime minister's condition," Dr. Yair Birenboim, a senior official at Hadassah-Ein Kerem Hospital in Jerusalem, said on Army Radio.

The doctors had said Tuesday that Mr. Sharon, 77, was out of immediate danger, but one of his neurosurgeons offered a more restrained prognosis on Wednesday.

"Until we have passed a few more stages, we are still very cautious," Dr. José Cohen told Israeli television. "We know that every day, although we are getting further out of danger, we are still in danger."

Doctors have been reducing the level of anesthetic since Monday, with the intention of gradually bringing Mr. Sharon out of his medically induced coma. The hospital statement said he remained lightly sedated on Wednesday.

The campaign for March 28 national elections have been on hold since Mr. Sharon's stroke but the politicking has begun to pick up again.

In a poll on Wednesday in the newspaper Haaretz, Mr. Sharon's recently established Kadima Party had gained support in the past week despite the almost universal assumption that Mr. Sharon will not return to political life.

Several polls before and just after Mr. Sharon's stroke indicated that Kadima would win about 40 of the 120 seats in Parliament. But Wednesday's survey found that the centrist Kadima would take 44 seats. Its closest rival, the left-leaning Labor Party, would get 16 seats, and the rightist Likud would take 13. The poll questioned 640 voters, but did not provide a margin of error.

In the West Bank, Israeli security forces scuffled in the rain and mud with 300 Jewish settlers who tried to prevent the dismantling of an unauthorized settlement outpost south of Jerusalem.

The security forces eventually used tear gas to force out protesters who had barricaded themselves inside a new home near the formal settlement of Neve Daniel. Six protesters were arrested, the police said.

Israel has pledged to remove the West Bank outposts and has taken down some, but dozens remain, according to monitoring groups.

9. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Y'know, he probably doesn't even care. While surfin' with the clicker the other day I heard him brag about how he's made a windfall in his oil and gas investments.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

And conflict diamonds.

11. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

In the words of Professor Harry Phineas Block, "Great googa-mooga!" :eek:

12. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

It's very difficult for me to grasp how the Israelis are OK with receiving support from a group of people who believe they're merely a mean to an end. Do they know what some evangelical Christians believe their purpose is and what will happen to them in the end days? Apparently not, as long as that group provides strong political and financial backing it doesn't matter what their views are; I guess they're more interested in getting the support wherever it comes from, even if it radically conflicts with their views.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

All Things Considered did an interesting story on him today. Interesting to read criticisms from his allies:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5151840

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Wait, they wanted to build a themepark in the land where Jesus walked? Were there going to be rides like spinning wooden cups?

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Ned Flanders would run that place

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Robertson: God Says Tsunami Possible For U.S.
    POSTED: 9:19 pm EDT May 17, 2006
    UPDATED: 5:14 am EDT May 18, 2006

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Rev. Pat Robertson says God has told him that storms and possibly a tsunami will hit America's coastline this year.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network has told viewers of "The 700 Club" that the revelations came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8.

He added specifics in Wednesday's show.

"There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest," he said.

Robertson has come under intense criticism in recent months for suggesting that U.S. agents should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution for Israel's pullout from the Gaza Strip.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Interesting this comes out the day after the National Hurricane Center announced that the number of storms this season will be above average and there is an 81% chance of a Cat 3-5 hurricane hitting the US coast.

18. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Any chance God would do us all a favor and send the hurricane to take out Robertson?

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

pat should just go start his own religion since he is speaking with god now.

what a douche bag.

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Didn't he say that the vision came to him during his shamanistic peyote cleansing ritual in January?