1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why? What makes him a "ratings magnet"? He hasn't done anything of significance in his college career and isn't an outspoken guy it would seem. What makes someone outside of Houston care if he plays or not?

donkeypunch and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

If Mahomes goes early or later in RD1 it should be to a team that has some stability and a starting QB. Places like LAC, BUF, NO, ARZ, NYG, HOU, KC, and PIT. The dilemma is do you take a project QB or one of the very good prospects that this draft has to offer. It all comes down to how the team evaluates these kids and how they think they can develop them.

The LAC are the sleeper in top 10 for me, because they're in a new market and competing with a team who drafted their franchise QB last year. Getting a Pat M or Mitchell T might be the kind of spark to get fans excited about their franchise and maybe open them up to also trading Rivers (which I think would be a mistake if they're developing Mahomes).

BUF, NO and ARZ can compete now if they add some play-makers. Depending on what talent is there, it might not be worth the investment in a first for this level of QB talent.

NYG and KC (moving up) could be biggest threats to grabbing Mahomes (again, if their scouts and coaches think he's the guy).

I think this draft is going to be really fun to watch because there is certainly an air of unpredictability. Also, as football starts to rely on more advanced stats to try and increase their hit rate on draft choices, that may move some players around like we haven't seem before.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...g-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks/100736988/

1. PATRICK MAHOMES, Texas Tech (6-2, 225, 4.81, 1): Third-year junior with a 13-16 record. “I may be crazy but when I watch his tape, just as a scout, I get excited,” one personnel man said. “He’s a guilty pleasure. We all have biases. Going in, Texas Tech, dink, dunk, dink, dunk, this guy cannot translate. I left saying, ‘Love this guy. He’s so much fun.’ He pulls plays out of his (expletive) like you wouldn’t believe. It’s not dink and dunk. He believes in his arm so much that it’s a problem sometimes. He’s not ready right now. I’m not comparing him to Aaron (Rodgers), but that natural sense of making plays when they break down is unusual. Now can he make plays from structure? That’s why he’s not a top-10 pick.” Finished with 63.5% completion rate and NFL passer rating of 103.8. Also ran for 820 yards and 22 touchdowns. “He is a great kid and willing to do everything,” said another scout. “But he’s playing in this gunslinger spread offense (expletive) that no quarterback has ever succeeded from, really.” Father, Pat, compiled a 42-39 record as an MLB pitcher from 1992-'03. Scored 24 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. “He has the best arm of the group but he plays crazy,” a third scout said. “I don’t even think ‘gunslinger’ is the right word. He’s reckless. … I remember seeing (Brett) Favre in his bowl game his senior year. In that game he had three or four plays you thought were a little off the wall. Mahomes might have 20 plays in a game where you go, ‘What are you doing?’” Drafted as a pitcher by the Tigers. From Whitehouse, Texas.​

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He's been the talk of the draft since the whole process started. He is the most intriguing of the QBs coming out and he continues to climb the charts the more people get to see and talk to him.
    As far as his college career goes, didn't he just finish with the most passing yards in college?

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Uh...he's not even in the top 30 for career passing yards. He's not even the top at Tech (Harrell and Kingsbury are ahead).

Yeah, there's been some buzz about him since he's moved up the boards from a 2nd to 3rd round to a likely 1st rounder. That doesn't make him national tv ratings gold. Outside of people that follow Tech and the draft, very few people know who he is.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

In my mind, you have to look at where that player would be drafted in this draft. If I'm trading JJ Watt, I want the number 1 pick overall. If you went back to 2011 that is where he would have been picked. Hell I might say 1 and 12 for Watt and 25.

EDIT: I would also have to lock up Clowney before I did this.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So basically in a draft where all of the prospects are too raw to expect anything from for at least one season, none of them are very smart either.

9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

To be fair, Derek Carr scored a 20 and we all know that he's turned into a nearly elite QB. And Jared Goff just last year scored either a 34 or a 36 (my memory is escaping me) and we know how cruddy he looked last season. I do find the Wunderlic scores to be interesting if they are really really high or really really low (Vince Young) but I don't think any of this year's QB crop scored low enough to concern me.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true, and we all know who has the all time highest Wonderlic score ever (Fitz) so a high score doesn't mean you are great and a low score doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be bad. I was just saying that since all of these guys have so much to learn before they are ready to be NFL players it would be nice to have a few of them be really smart so that the learning process might be quicker.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So you want us to sacrifice two years of what should be JJ Watt's prime for a QB who *might* be our answer in three years? That's your plan? I sure hope the coach in your username is being used ironically....

First of all, the Texans are NEVER trading JJ Watt. They are going to ride his gravy train into the dirt. He is a Bob Mcnair wet dream come to life and he's not going anywhere. Further, while there's undoubtedly a pocket of hardcore Texan fans who might understand a sensible football trade involving Watt - you'd be alienating millions and millions of casual fans whose only connection to the Texans is JJ Watt. They are not going to do that, short of.... I don't even know. I guess if the Packers offered Rodgers, you'd listen. I'm not sure that list has any other names on it.

Also, why would you trade JJ Watt *now* when he'd be at his lowest value? Trading him when we don't yet know if he'll be his old self is not only ill-advised but it'd tip every other team off that you're not sold on his comeback. Why else bail on the best defensive player in football? You'd get $.50 on the $1.00 for a guy that may go down as one of the 10-best defensive players of all-time.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

There's either little to no correlation to success rate with wonderlic scores for qbs

texans1095 likes this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lol at few people know who he is. Only the ones who have been asleep for the past few months. That move up the boards that you just brushed off was the same type of move up that Wentz had last season and his name comes up a lot in football circles all over. Win, lose or sit, Mahomes will be watched where ever he goes. Count on it. Especially if he gets a chance to play.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Like I said, I want him on the team. I love what Watt has done for our team and our city. But the truth is we don't need him as much as you all think. He can be used (pardon the term)to make the team and city even better.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if he gets a chance to play his first season then it'll for sure be must watch football if you like defense. They'll eat him alive.

texans1095 likes this.
  16. 713

713 Member

Vince Young got a 6? Wtf you probably got a 5 by just writing your name.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm mystified there's a human being who believes trading away the best defensive player in football makes a team better. Especially when the team would have to wait at least two years to see any results from the deal.

I think one of the silliest developing stories this past year is that the Texans would be just fine without JJ Watt; that everything that happened last year is totally sustainable so let's deal the best defensive player in football because everyone knows $.50 is better than $1.

Let me make this simple; here's the list of *assets* (players, picks, money) the Texans would consider trading JJ Watt for:
    1. Aaron Rodgers
    And... that's it. That's your list.

Yeah, they'd listen on Carr, Wilson, Luck... maybe Ryan. Cleveland's #1 and #12 would probably spark a conversation (depending on how much they like Garrett). But I don't think they'd do straight-up for any of those players/picks without the other teams including a lot more.

IOW, they sure as **** wouldn't listen for Pat f-wording Mahomes. I mean, I get that you, and apparently every generation of your family, went to Texas Tech so you've got your guns up for "Lubbock" and all - but that is just remarkably insane. I'm good if he falls to 25, or the Texans can maneuver a few spaces up to get him without spending too much - whatever (I don't really care who they draft, frankly). But I do know it won't involve JJ Watt, unless he's been selected to read the pick.

texans1095 likes this.
  18. Mr. Motiejunas

Mahomes or don't draft a QB until the later rounds.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Doesn't matter Brian, got a new shiny rookie QB Brian."

texans1095 likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Makes sense now knowing he spent entire paychecks at Cheesecake Factory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.