1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daniel Jeremiah: Not a track record of success of anyone coming out of that system. Huge arm. Can see how teams fall in love with the kid. If you could sit for 2-3 years, he'd have a real shot. Throw him out there too early, it'll be a rough go for him.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

First of all you have to ask yourselves, "can the Texans win the Superbowl without JJ Watt?" Once you answer the question correctly then you'll see where I'm coming from.
    I was right about Ben Tate 2 seasons before he walked for nothing and Andre Johnson 2 seasons before he got hurt again, then left.
    I know it hurts to hear. It hurts to say it but trading him now would not be as terrible as you all are making it out to be.

3. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Ben Tate was never anything close to an elite RB and Andre was over 30 years old and a couple seasons removed from truly elite status. JJ is still 28 and (as long as he remains relatively healthy and comes back anywhere 90% or higher of his former self) still has some very good years ahead of him. Both Tate's and Johnson's situations are entirely different. Neither of them were the best player on the team when they were let go. Trading JJ for the #12 pick literally makes no sense.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I get it . I too am a big fan of JJ's, but like I always say, I'm a bigger fan of the team. To me it makes a little bit of sense for the team when you think that Mahomes will be like Carr when he gets his mechanics down. According to reports, he has already impressed BoB enough to blab it out to someone. Maybe he saw something that he can work with. I say roll the dice and go all in.

texans1095 likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There's a huge difference between going all in by trading an extra third round pick or two to move up and get a guy that may be good and trading the second best defensive player of all time to get a guy that may be good.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

If the Texans draft him I hope he proves me wrong but I just think he will flame out like all other air raid QBs before him.

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Trading Watt now is selling low on a 3-time DPOY, that makes no sense, especially for Mahomes who is coming out of a TTU system that has not been known for producing NFL QBs. I get the hype and would be supportive if he slips to 25 or we trade up several picks if BOB thinks this is his guy, but trading JJ now is not a winning move.

texans1095 and whag00 like this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you're trading JJ, you trade him for a 1st round pick next year plus more. I know we say it every year but next year's QB class looks so much better than this year.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So you wouldn't do it if the Browns offered up their 2 first rounders?

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Coach,
    I don't see how that's realistic either. CLE is rebuilding, why would they offer #1 and #12 for a Watt who was out almost all of last year and is 28 years old?

Yaosthirdleg and texans1095 like this.
  11. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I think I would seriously consider it if I were Rick Smith. But I don't know that CLE would ever make that offer. Then again, they are the Browns so you never know.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Also,the fact that they are about to draft a DE pass rusher in Garret

14. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Ross is not falling out of the teens so Matt Miller can shut his ass up

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Mahomes must be doing something right. By this time Thursday they'll be questioning whether or not if he should be the 1st QB taken.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I know one thing for sure, if we were to get Mahomes, all eyes would be on Houston every time we play. Especially on our nationally televised games. Mahomes will be a ratings magnet.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In 2 or 3 years when he's ready to play you mean.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No I mean while he's sitting on the bench year one. If they're struggling to stay above .500 come mid season, look out.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That would be disastrous for him, he needs to sit at least one year because he's nowhere near ready to be a starting QB in the NFL. If he's forced into the starting role prematurely it'll put a cap on his potential.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.