1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parents name their daughter Hashtag

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cannonball, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/he...aby-girl-twitter-inspired-name-220500698.html

[rquoter]Crazy baby names are nothing new. In fact, in recent years they've become endemic in our culture, with entire websites devoted to bad baby names, deliberate misspellings masquerading as parental "creativity," and celebrities who go way way past "unusual" and into "Wait. What?" territory (like actor Jason Lee, who named his child Pilot Inspektor in 2003).

But Hashtag? As in, well, #hashtag? Really? Really.

"Hashtag Jameson was born at 10 o'clock last nite," the proud parent announced on Facebook Saturday night. "She weys 8pounds and i luv her so much!!!!!!"

Spelling-challenged friends started leaving equally creative congratulations in the comments.

"Aww babes you finally had youre Tweetybird xxx," one wrote.

Some internet commenters have questioned whether the announcement is just a poorly executed viral marketing campaign for a certain brand of whiskey -- #Jameson? (Though we tried, Yahoo! Shine couldn't confirm the photo's legitimacy, but it's well within the realm of possibility -- if the musician Prince could use a symbol as his name, why not a non-celebrity?) Others tweeted slightly crueler hashtags of their own: #Foolishparents, #YourParentsHateYou, #StupidestNameEver. Many, many commenters all over the internet wondered about the parents' mental stability.

"These are the things that convince me the world is ending in a month," lamented John Toronto at Buzzfeed. "Not the unstable sociopolitical nature of many nations of the world. Not the increasingly erratic weather patterns we've been seeing. Nope. Someone named their child Hashtag. We are all f****d and I think we might deserve it."

Despite the outrage over this most recent naming debacle, parents have always named their kids after things that are important to them, whether it's a beloved relative, "The Hunger Games," a hot celebrity, glittery vampires -- or, today, social media.

In February 2011, a man in Egypt named his firstborn daughter Facebook -- a nod to the role that the website played at the start of the Arab Spring. In Israel, Lior Adler and his wife, Vardit, named their little girl "Like" when she was born in May 2011 (the couple also named one of their older daughters Pie because they enjoy cooking, they said). Now that little Hashtag has arrived, all we need is a tiny Tumblr, an adorable "@," and sweet little "YouTube" and the social media baby name trend will be properly established.

We're sure that little Hashtag will find a way to avoid problems on the playground (she can always say her real name is Taggart, as in Romney, or get even more conventional and call herself Ash, short for Ashley). Still, she's likely to face a few issues down the road that her social-media loving parents probably hadn't thought about.

"I'm betting she'll go by 'Ash' but her classmates will know her real name," wagered Carlo Sta. Romana in the comments at Mashable. "Wonder what it'll be like in 20 years when she'll have to explain what a hashtag is?" [/rquoter]

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I am pretty sure twitter will be dead by the time little hashtag is old enough to understand why he is called #.

LCA

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

#wordapp

4. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

So, im naming my son Clutchfansbbs.#YOBO, you're only born once

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

One of the worse names I have ever seen was "L-A"it was pronounced LaDasha but it was written as L "hyphen" A. It was ridiculous.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

At least they didn't name her "Pound Sign" instead, girls hate anything having to do with weight.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

we call her Hashy for short.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i still dont' understand twitter's hashtag.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You being #uninformed on #hashtags makes me #anxious. #hashtagsrule #twitterarmy #anxietytroopers #wordapp #transparency

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

odd that a bunch of people in the world have went to school or know of someone with the name L-A.

Must be a popular name if nearly everyone says they know it.

11. Prince

Prince Member

a lot better than "Thadeus".

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

really? :confused:

twitter still sucks!!!

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How is this any worse than APPLE, Dweezel, Moon, etc?
    *shrug*
    Names will eventually incorporate more than just letters
    why not start now?? Does it really change anything

Rocket River
    #Iwant7of9
    LOL

14. uchlha

uchlha Member

dont you mean Ladasha? or am i being trolled?

15. Nook

Nook Member

Still pissed your mom and sister have "Thadeus" tramp stamps?

16. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Is this some new trend or something

17. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

If the parents send her to public school, she's going to get picked on a lot by the other kids.

18. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I don't either . My guess is that it makes that tweet searchable using whatever word you used with the hashtag ... Is this even close ? I just recently started using twitter to follow some Rocket's news

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Apple and Moon are objects for which there could be a symbolic or philosophical meaning. Hashtag is a component of a current trend and telegraphs either a narrow set of values or interests or an underlying desperation for attention or approval. X and Y, not as hypocritical, bigoted or self-indulgent as boomers but two generations worth of needy, auditioning, attention-starved children.