1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pakistan Mob Kills Woman, Girls, Over 'Blasphemous' Facebook Post

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 28, 2014.

1. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Pretty sure were no longer in the Middle Ages, so what does that have to do with religious violence in the modern age? Seems a lot like a false equivalency.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why is it in majority of cases where a secular dictator is overthrown in a Muslim majority nation, the overwhelming majority of the Muslim population of that nation calls for Sharia Law to be implaced?

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction.
    -John F. Kennedy

4. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

If "the people" you are talking about is Islam, you could start by getting your Clerics to tell the people that blowing yourself up to kill "infidels" is not just BS but actually causes you to go to hell. Maybe having them tell the people that killing anyone who is not Muslim is bad. How about getting them to let non Arabs into the Muslim holy places? Why don't they have a Temple event and invite the local Jewish population over for food and fun?

If you are a Muslim in America how many times have you gone to the temple to hear that killing non Muslims is evil. Have you heard that firing rockets in to Israel is evil?

Condemning the acts of evil men would be a good start.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Based on your stated life experiences, you should know that implementation of Sharia Law is not uniform. There are less than a handful that rely purely on Sharia, and their laws vary. Most adopt a mixed Sharia/Civil system which varies greatly. Finally, there are also examples of Sharia-inspired legal systems which are not bound by any specific type of Sharia.

Educate yourself please.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_sharia_law_by_country

Sharia, depending on interpretation, may ban polygamy, may insist on secular policies, reject death sentences, disregard the idea of needing 4 witnesses or double the female witnesses, etc. Absolutely nothing is set in stone when the only requirement for approval is finding some random islamic "scholar" to say: it's cool.

Asking for Sharia law to be implemented does not mean you want to turn your country into Saudi Arabia. It's simply asking for a system which those people feel is more likely to be adjusted and develop into a fair legal system according to their community than the current civil/common law structures.

For example, when a sizeable number of Americans wish that American laws are based on Christian values, I don't assume they are talking about invading and murdering non believers. I assume they are talking about the good/tested principles of governance prevalent in the era when Christian ideals dominated social behavior.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

His point being that maybe like Christianity in the past, the current Islam is under going its dark ages(so it may not be the religion itself). In the past at one point, the Islam religion was the more enlightened and tolerant when compared to Christianity. Instead of progressing, the whole religion regressed, I wonder what caused that.

#66 pirc1, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's a popular myth.

The truth is that a good amount of scientific and medical progress came from the Arab world at some point (which has stopped almost completely, Israel alone has contributed more progress to the world than all Arab countries combined in the last 50 years).

That doesn't mean that Islam was more enlightened and tolerant.

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Those saying that the Islamic faith is inherently "evil" sicken me. How dare you judge people based on their extremists? Forget the dark ages, Christians today commit heinous acts all the time in the name of their faith. I'm no fan of organized religion but I still realize that I have no right to discriminate against an entire faith based on the outliers. Shame on you guys who do this!

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Shame on you for not understanding that it must be allowed to criticize a religious ideology for its violent excesses. You sicken me.

10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I'm sticking up for the people who follow the faith in a peaceful manner. Believe me, I think any religion is equally as disgusting as the next..but I don't follow blanket-prejudice

1 person likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No need to do that, as they are not being criticized - the only thing they might be criticized for is for not speaking up loudly enough (from where it is safe) against the extremists within their own religion.

No, they are not equally disgusting. You will not nearly find as much violence from followers of other religions as you find from extremist followers of Islam.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Poverty and the fact that the religious text is inconsistent and easily manipulated.

DD

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Well, I worship my fellow humans. As long as people worship a magician in the sky, people will always interpret various holy books however they believe because there is no one to speak for their god's intent. People interpret the Bible a thousand different ways..just like the Q'uran.

14. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

It's the people that suck...not religions.

15. trustme

trustme Member

The anti Muslims in here need to get a grip. There are many religious heads who speak out against these atrocities and other injustices Muslims commit across the world. But you refuse to look for them so you can further your propaganda of Muslim hate.

Ps ATW has now created about 4 threads related to Muslims or Islam in the past week. If that isn't obsessed psycho then idk what is.

16. pirc1

I believe this teaching that religion is above all else is the down fall of the current Islam religion. If they want to get out this phase, this philosophy has to change.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Or course 'Merica caused it

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That is a common misconception. Islam itself was not "more enlightened". The people practicing were more secular.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sorry if that makes you angry. Really, really angry. Don't you wish you could silence any criticism? 4 threads! The horror!

I bet it would make this guy really angry as well.

[​IMG]

20. pirc1

Right. Today too many Muslims hold the religious teaching above things such as modern education, better feed the people, treat the diseases etc. It is most important to be a pious Muslim for these people, which does not help to advance the countries they live in.