1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pakistan Mob Kills Woman, Girls, Over 'Blasphemous' Facebook Post

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem I have with the Islam is inherently violent argument is that how come no one says that about Christianity during the middle ages when you would get hanged for blasphemy.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think what this Pakistani mob did is horrible. There can't be any denial of that. It doesn't matter that ATW started the thread. It doesn't matter whether he has the motive of simply trying to slam Islam as a whole or not.

Even if that were true none of that excuses what this mob did.

3. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

And no one made excuses for the mob, nor did anyone justify the mobs actions.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think we all agree there. To all of these horrible murders and crimes.

The question is, how do you stop this kind of stuff from happening. I just think the whole blame Islam isn't very productive.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Both are inherently violent. One religion is followed more literally today than the other.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure everyone says that about Christianity during the middle ages.

Is anyone denying it?

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I like their Fashion Week around the world.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Jewwwwwws!

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So how come people don't say Christianity is inherently violent like Islam is. If Christianity outgrew it's violent nature, why Islam not going to either?

10. Mr. Clutch

Islam isn't going to if we keep making excuses for it.

Christianity outgrew it because it had reformers. Where are the Islamic reformers?

11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Either way, I think we can agree that religion is perhaps one of the most destructive inventions of mankind.

12. Mr. Clutch

Not really. It has been used for both good and bad.

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Fair. I do think it's usefulness will dissolve over the next few generations though. I know it's an oxymoron but I would love for there to be 'secular' churches. Basically somewhere where people could gather once a week to emphasize humanitarian stories and pursuits that promote acceptance instead of shaming people into guilt. They could hold fundraisers, good drives, etc. and essentially have all of the positive aspects of church but they could leave the ancient mythology out of it.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hey I learned something! Will subscribe to Vice documentaries, and is open to any other shocking pieces.

Very similar to Uganda's notorious anti-gay enforcement policies heavily influenced by fundie Christians from the ****waters of 'Murca.

I doubt it. It's usefulness will remain, and regardless, it will survive. Quick relatively rational reasons off the top of my head:

-People's openness to religion, cult worship, or spirituality (they are NOT always related) is ingrained our DNA. We're a social species and that trait passed along as civilization grew.

-The idealism you espouse has generally been mentioned in various religions. Stories about getting people to do the "right" or "ethical" thing through divine punishment or proof of divinity is generally forgotten after a relatively small amount of time. There are studies that very well off people are more prone to unethical behavior because they feel more entitled to their status and standing. It may very well be that it's easier to be a dick (your poor situation and upbringing...or in this case, your entitled birth and noble upbringing) than to be a rational saint.

You can even look at stories outside the Bible and into the Roman-Greek myths. Abstract the Gods and the supernatural and you're confronted with allegorical examples of human nature. It's those stories, sometimes sugar coated for children to consume, by virtue of lasting and spreading that reflect the culture it came from and act as beacons of caution and introspection.

-The digital age is removing the sense of community and tradition away from what you see and into the abstract. I think urban life started a western trend of more people being treated for depression and related illnesses and with the internet, it's yet another catalyst to hide it away. We're social creatures, where studies have shown that small acts of altruistic behavior can display increased self measured happiness. In the post modern world where meaning and thought has been relegated into a prize derived from a Western form of critical thinking, that's probably not the final solution or even the most truthful one.

There's more points, but it's late, so I digress...

#54 Invisible Fan, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I think one of the issues with Islam is that there is a window (or loophole if you will) in it that seems to justify violence. Even their prophet Muhammad was violent, in fact.

It's just enough of a window to have crazies latch onto it and be violent in the name of their religion.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wahabbi gon Wahabbi. Let the record state that they are main problem. Funded by places like Saudi and Qatar, that oil money is ruining the East.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Anyone who thinks that Islam is not all about violence, deplorable acts, causing harm to others, terrorism etc is completely delusional.

In fact, they encourage it repeatedly but then come back with the standard defense line that "oh Islam is not that way, don't let a few idiots give you the wrong impression on an entire religion"

It's crap and needs to be abolished

18. sammy

A few of 1 billion plus still equates to a lot. Math is obvisouly not your strong suit. As crazy as it may sound, I don't know one Muslim person that is about any of those things that you listed in your well thought out post.

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Any time there are extremist the rest of the group only matters if they are doing something to stop the extremists. In the case of Islam today the peaceful majority is irrelevant because they do nothing to stop the extremists. This has been the case throughout history. I'm sure the majority of Nazis were peaceful.

Until Islam will no longer tolerate the actions of these extremists the religion will be know as the religion of hate and war. Islam will change or the world will crush Islam eventually. This can't go on forever, sooner or later something so horrific will happen that humanity can't let it go on.

20. sammy

This has been talked about many times before. People protest against the things that are happening in Syria, Iraq, Pakistan. Actually, my newsfeed is filled with people speaking out esp right now since Israel-Gaza is getting all of the attention.

People have lives, man. They have to work, put food on the table. What do you expect the people do to exactly?