1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Packers Safety Darren Sharper sounds off on new pass interference rules

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by dharocks, Aug 23, 2004.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This is from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4942215.html

Now I completely agree with what Sharper says; the Refs will never call receivers for pushing off from the DB in order to catch a pass, so why penalize a corner for trying to bumb a WR from his route? I don't see why a rule change was even necessary in the first place.

What do you guys think?

2. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I think they need to call the game better NOT change the rules.

I understand the "no touch" rule and I think it is good if the refs learn to be more subjective about it.

What if the receiver runs into a stationary defender? Is that illegal contact? I know watching the Texans game sat night they called 2 or 3 penalties on the Texans when the receiver ran right into the defender.

The refs need to call the game like they see it and use their better judgement and stop running around like a bunch of scared chickens waiting for the instant replay god to overrule them.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I agree with him for the most part. I remember reading shortly after the Broncos-Redskins game a quote from Bill Parcells. I can't remember it exactly, but he was worried about how they would call it. He was ok with the rule, but only if they called it on contact that really affects a play. He was worried that they would get flag-happy and I think that game had a lot of penalties, so he had good reason to be.

I haven't seen too much of it, but mostly because I only have really watched 1 game and I also wasn't paying much attention to this rule. I seem to remember a few 5yd penalties but I can't remember if they were legit or not. It look like the Dallas DBs were either just getting in good position to avoid contact yet deflect passes or they would just get burned for long receptions. Plus, I was watching a Raider broadcast, where they all thought a challenge should have gone one way when my dad, the referee, and I all thought otherwise.

Hopefully, the refs work it out and only call it when it matters. If a WR just runs into a defender, not putting much of an effort into actually catching the ball. BTW, they also are calling illegal formation or something like that more, right? I've seen a lot of those.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The new PI calls are total chickensh*t. Football is a contact sport. It's one thing to knock a receiver off a route, and another thing to make some incidental contact, which is what happens on most routes.

This new rule basically penalizes aggressive DBs and almost completely does away with bump and run coverage.

5. Summer Song Giver

Hey Paul Tagliubeeineji, I wasn't aware it was broke :p

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Some of the calls have been horrible to this point. I think they are trying to make their case by calling ones that might not otherwise be called in the regular season. There was one on Demarcus Faggins on Sat that was simply pathetic. He barely grazed the wr's jersey as he ran by unavaded. It was a 3rd down that the Texans stopped and would have gotten the ball back if it werent' for that call. Make it in the regular season like that and that ref doesn't make it out of the stadium alive.

We simply have to wait until then to see what the real call will be like. I agree with Baqui99, it's a contact sport. Don't penalize people for contact that has no bearing on the play.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

They didn't change any rules; there's always been the "chuck zone" rule, the refs just didn't really enforce it. The reason they are enforcing it is because the secondary is getting carried away with it. They are completely knocking the recievers off their routes; recievers have to have rights as well. Eventually, the rule, if enforced will put emphasis on the defensive backs to rely more on technique than they do currently.

I'm not opposed to the enforcing of the rule, because it works both ways. What I'd be more worried about is the pace of the game if the penalties persist.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agreed...i think we're going to see penalties literally changing the game this season. have a quick, breakaway receiver on your team??? he's freaking unstoppable now. and by the way...if he can push off, look out. they won't be calling that.

if i were a receivers coach i would be begging my receivers to initiate contact.

9. kevwun

kevwun Member

You can blame Bill Belichik for this.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Horse**** rule, I guarantee it will be gone by next season at the latest.