1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Owen Daniels - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by BasketballReasons, Jan 1, 2014.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

With O'Brien's arrival, and the possible TE's coach of New England, do you guys think we'll retain Daniels?

....link

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

3.5m in cap space. Hmm. Decisions decisions

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Save "only 3.5 million in cap space."

That's actually a lot of savings for cutting him. It's almost his entire contract. Still, I'd love them to be able to keep him if they can afford it. Best thing for a young QB is veteran players on the OLine and skill positions. Whoever our QB is, he'll benefit from Andre and Owen as receivers who consistently run the right routes and have reliable hands.

4. makman

makman Member

Too much for an old injury prone TE. Never been a great blocker, injured almost every year, high cap number, and has young talent behind him. Better to release now and draft one to grow with a new qb.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I like OD, but I don't think I could keep him. However, he could be good for a new young quarterback as a safety valve.

6. conquistador#11

can he take a paycut? the guy is more than a safety blanket. he is like a fire hazard proof blanket for any qb let alone a rookie if we go that route. I like that graham is evolving, but he is still no O.D. **

**when healthy. that's huge part of it too.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

OD is one of my favorite Texans' player but I'd understand if they let him go. Graham and possibly Griffin aren't bad.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The move tight end has evolved past what Owen Daniels was for the team. The team failed with Casey but O'Brien did great things with Gronk and Hernandez. Maybe there's another one of those joker type TEs in this draft.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would a tight end whose nickname was "Freight Train".

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Isn't BOB heavy on using TE in his sets? Maybe he could revive OD.

But I'll be ok with Graham/Griffin going forward

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I love O.D. I think he would be a great fit with O'Brien, unfortunately he is easily replaceable and cost a good chink of change... I'm really on the fence.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Keep him. Restructure contract. Add on 2 years. A lower rate this year then he can earn it back in years 2 or 3. Maybe retain around 2 to 2.5 mil in savings this season.

13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Unless I missed something graham didn't really show much. Keep Daniels, continue to develop Griffin and draft another TE in the middle rounds if there is one worth taking.

14. Pete the Cheat

Restructuring contracts is how the Texans got in their current cap purgatory. OD is a good player but an injury liability. Time to cut him and move on. Same applies to Manning on D.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

McClain:

FB: Expect the Texans to have a new fullback next season, possibly two on the roster depending on how the new staff values this position. Jones was the fourth starter in four years. Now there will be a fifth in five years. Look for them to sign a veteran who’s a powerful lead blocker.

TE: Daniels was coming off a Pro Bowl season and got off to a good start before suffering a fractured fibula. He’ll turn 32 during his ninth season and could become a salary cap casualty. Getting Graham to re-sign is a priority. He improved each season and was headed toward 55 to 60 catches before he was sidelined with a hamstring injury. Griffin replaced Graham in the lineup and showed he can play. His 12.8-yard average was right behind Andre Johnson’s 12.9.

DB: The four starters – cornerbacks Joseph and Jackson and safeties Swearinger and Keo -- could return intact, but the new staff might want changes. There should be some new faces on the back end, especially when it comes to depth. Manning could be a cap casualty.

K/P/LS: There’s no need to make changes in this threesome. Even though he’ll be 38 next season, Lechler will be coming off a tremendous season. Bullock finished the season with 12 consecutive field goals. Weeks is an outstanding snapper.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yeah, looks like you missed a lot.

17. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

reports have it that BOB is trying to bring the TE coach for the NE Pats with him here to Houston.

Guess we shall see if OD is part of the house cleaning or not. Love OD, but that 3.5 helps a lot with our cap mess we are in.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

19. Remii

Remii Member

I say cut O.D. and draft a 6-7 tight end that played basketball...Lol. Our tight ends don't fit the prototype of the tight ends that New England has had (since O'Brien was there). Evan Benjamin Watson was an athletic fast tight end coming out of college when the Patriots drafted him. They like play making tight ends and they have drafted tight ends early and often. They can spend that money that they're paying O.D. on the O-Line...

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Is will obviously get cut, he isn't worth what he is making

But they could definitely resign him on the cheap. I'm sure he would like to stay here and he isn't gonna make huge money anywhere.