1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Outside the Box] Post Bosh Plan A - Get Josh Smith, Then Match Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 11, 2014.

1. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

I would go so far to say he should be our #1'target right now.

Over Anderson, boozer, ilyasova, ect.

If you're concerned about offensive flow with smith, he's way better than dmo on O.

2. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

I could be convinced that it would be worth it to expand the Asik trade for an elite point guard too. (I said in another thread I'd try to get Rondo this way or even Dragic).

Without signing another superstar, I think we need an upgrade at either the 1 or the 4. Last year, Bev did a nice job for us. Ideally, he'd come off the bench, but we can't have everything.

The fact is we were torched last year at the 4 spot defensively and if that doesn't change, we aren't going anywhere, unless we just totally dominate everywhere else on the court.

Again, I have no problem with an upgrade at the 1, but Harden already handles the ball a lot, which means yes, I think we can get away with Bev- Canaan - Johnson at the 1 if we do upgrade the 4 spot with someone like Smith.

3. traveler

traveler Member

yes

I agree. Everyone is just blinded by Dragic and Rondo being the key missing pieces. Harden handles the ball handling usually anyway. It is the 4 spot where we have a serious hole to fill. We don't upgrade that position then we could be a 1st round exit again.

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Good points. The main problem is see with Harden handling the ball alot is it "sticks" with him and you don't get that proper ball movement. Also using Harden as your primary ball handler during an 82 game season isn't going to assure the team he will be fresh come playoff time, cuz IMO he looked semi wore out in the Blazers series. A good QB PG will help take the pressure off of Harden and help make guys like Jones and DMO better IMO. I know the rockets can't be stacked at every position but I dont see them winning a championship with the current inexperienced PGs they have at the moment and I fully expect Morey will address that very soon.

5. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Smith would be the best defender at the 4 position that he Rockets have had in a while. He might just be the missing ingredient for stopping La Marcus Aldridge or a guy like Griffen to get into he next round. From there it's all about matchups and we match up well with the Spus.

Offensively, Smith plays really well around the basket and in transition, and he's a good rebounder. That's all the Rockets need from him to get over the hump. We don't need him to shoot 3's but he CAN step out on the perimeter and knock down some shots now and again. Actually, if you look at his stats he's actually no worse of a 3 point shooter than Bosh, a guy who shot 24%, 24%, 28%, and 33% respectively in the last 4 years from 3-point land.

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Let me be fair though. While I do think he's probably the best option for where we're weakest right now, I do think his liability isn't necessarily his ability on the offensive end but his decision making and willingness to stay in the flow of the offense. As long as his touches and shots attempted are 3rd or 4th I think that risk can be minimized.

7. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why don't you stick with posting about the Texans? You seem to have no idea about who is available, what our cap situation is like, and what our potential options are. This thread was started before we signed Trevor Ariza, so this may or may not be even possible.

Now, why don't you read what was posted originally and also what other posters have agreed or disagreed with before making such an ignorant statement. It is fine if you disagree, but you provide no substance with your statements, and I don't want to turn this into what you did with Remii on the Texans threads.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Josh Smith is one of the worst players in the NBA, this thread was started 2 days ago, there's no excuse for it.

9. Rox>Mavs

So do nothing with the cap space and wait until when? No matter what we're going to be capped out or if we do have space it won't be enough for a major piece. So your alternative is to waste the option just to not have a player when adding him loses you nothing?

10. Rox>Mavs

Define "worse"... What measures are you going by?