1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Outside the Box] Post Bosh Plan A - Get Josh Smith, Then Match Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Why not if there's not a better option?

2. Badrose

Badrose Member

Screw Parsons! Get Smith & Ryan Anderson and this team will be way better than with Bosh!

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

I have no problem with him and understand Detroit might give him away I just want to make sure we actually get him for free, minor token assets going to them because of his big contract and once here he actually realizes he is the 4th option and he doesn't have a green light to shoot at will.

Also since this would use the trade exceptions we could do this after the Parsons match, right?

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The suns love Eric Gordon, offered Gordon him contract, have a great health staff when it comes to contently injured players. He's only 25, plays SG and would fit perfectly in the back court next to Bledsoe.

Pelicans want Asik, they'd like to move Davis to his true position at PF, they also are looking pay somebody to take Gordon's contract off there hands.

The suns just payed I.Thomas for the next 4 years, and will soon pay Bledsoe for the next 4 years, Bledsoe/Thomas is there PG position of the future with them being 24/25. Bledsoe will get a max deal, Thomas got 7 mill a year, thats 22+ guaranteed money at the PG spot.

Dragic is 28, and will be expiring next offseason, and will likely demand a max 4/5 year contract. The suns paying 28 year point guard old Dragic max for 4+ years when they already have a young and expensive PG rotation in unlikely.

So the Suns love Gordon, will need to trade Dragic sometime soon , and the Pelicans want Asik, and really want to get rid of Gordon. The Rockets missed out on Bosh and need to improve there team this offseason badly, they also traded away PG Jeremy Lin, and have a agreement to send Asik to the Pelicans.

Tell me it wouldn't be the perfect trade for all teams involved

Asik to Pelicans
    Gordon to Suns
    Dragic to Houston

We could throw a couple of the following - Jones, Motiejunas, Johnson, Capela and our 2017 first, multiple second picks and euro player, if either the Suns or Pelicans wanted sweeteners in the deal.

Seriously this trade needs to happen.

5. Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame Member

6. Fantasma Negro

PG: Bev/Johnson
    SG: Harden/Turner
    SF: Parsons/Pierce/ Beasley
    PF: Smith/Jones/ Blatche
    C: Dwight/O'Neal/ Blatche

7. basketballholic

Would you rather have Josh Smith or Larry Sanders and Ersan Ilyasova?

8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well Smith makes $14 million per year. I believe Sanders makes $11 million and Ilyasova makes $8 million, so I'd rather Smith if it's just one person. However, if we can get Sanders + Ilyasova for almost free, then that would be a good option as well.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sure if they'd give us an almost unprotected first rounder.

He won't improve. He won't change. He won't become efficient. He won't have less of an attitude problem. Coaches have come and gone, and Smith is Smith. Organizations changed. He has been a primary option and a secondary option. He's played with friends, and foes. He has been told to stick to his strengths. Fans have hoped for the exact same things being hoped for in this thread, and they have been let down..

FOR TEN YEARS. TEN YEARS JOSH SMITH HAS LISTENED TO FANS, COACHES, EXECUTIVES, TEAMMATES BEGGING HIM TO JUST TWEAK ONE OR TWO THINGS. AN ENTIRE DECADE.

Nothing has changed. Smith is Smith. He is a great defender, and his entire game offensively and defensively relies on athleticism. Now he's 28 and has 10 years full of minutes as mileage. Even his defense will diminish, but his ego will grow, and so will his salary.

If that's the only option, fine. But it's not the only option. We can acquire any number of players for exactly half the price and WAY more than half the overall production. So if Detroit wants to dump him on us, they need to compensate us. That's how the NBA goes. You compensate teams for taking ****ty contracts.

I would much rather keep Dmo and Jones as our PF tandem and, given their age, they are way more likely to exceed expectations than Josh Smith, who has shat on people's expectations for 10 years.

10 years of failure to live up to expectations, salary of $14m, for three more years, with a coach who has not been able to convince Harden or Parsons to play defense or Howard to accept more pick n roll.

Is he better than our PF's? Sure. Is he worth more $10m more than both our PF's combined? Hell no. Is he the only option? Hell no. Is not getting a PF an option if we can improve other positions? Hell yes.

For Detroit's draft pick though, I'll do it. Because if we're going to lock ourselves up for 2-3 years, then we need a high potential asset like the Pistons pick. But as of last week, SVG claims that he doesn't necessarily see Smith as a negative asset so I doubt he coughs up a pick.

What would make me happy to take Smith? If he promises Les, Morey, McHale and Howard than he will STFU and do exactly what the coach wants for three years even if he doesn't like it. Then, it might be worth it. Chances of that happening?

Ten years. Think about that. Think about who YOU were ten years ago when Smith first began flipping off people who gave him good advice on how to become a better player. That's how long it's been.

10. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't need to "change". When you go from 1st or 2nd option to 4th option, your shots will go down. That's plain and simple. With that, his efficiency will be better. Zach Randolph was seen as the same when he was with New York and Portland. Smith needs to fit a system.

11. MFG16

MFG16 Member

From a defensive standpoint (which this team needs) I'm all for Josh Smith. Offensively, he might help Dwight by stretching the floor but it would be a gamble to bank on him developing a consistent 3 point shot. IIRC, him and Dwight have been good friends since they were kids. I'm with everyone saying let's get this guy. We desperately need defense and if we can get him for cheap (like the op stated) then its a gamble we have to take. These next few years CAN NOT be wasted.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Smith will not be acquired because the numbers on the court are overwhelmingly inefficient.

I remember Grantland doing a breakdown of his offense last year and it was terrible.

There are much more viable options (ie Ilyasova, Marion)

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dude the guys aren't hearing it, Morey will do whats best for the team, let everybody have there opinion.

14. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

No, no, no! Neither of the guys remotely worth their contracts, and won't be able to change the outcome of many games. The Rockets should use the money wisely to get role players who makes $3-$5mil/yr, can fill in immediate with Howard & Harden, and at the same time to develop young players, e.g., Jones & DMO.

15. newAge_Rockets

I think the thing that people don't understand in other threads is that we have options. Did I want Bosh? NO doubt. Am I pissed that he lead us on? Most definitely.

But we aren't gonna let Parsons walk, and we are definitely not gonna cap ourselves out with just the Parsons contract. We will sign a big time player (Josh Smith), we could divulge more into the trade that ThatBoyNick proposed (even though I think Phoenix would want more than just an oft injured Gordon), or we could sign multiple players on smaller, short term deals to try and build depth.

Let's see what Morey's next move is.

16. micah1j

micah1j Member

How would the trade work? We take Smith + #1 pick into our cap space for a second rounder? Then match Parsons? We wouldn't have the MLE then?

17. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Broh, where is my music video you promised?

18. Sanity2disChaos

This sucks either way.

19. newAge_Rockets

A team that has 2 superstars locked up for the next couple years, cap space, and several options to sign player(s) this offseason that will help improve the team.

I can think of worse situations around the league.

20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I'll take josh Smith as our conciliation prize all day.