1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OUTRAGE] Hertz falsely accused hundreds customers of stealing cars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Dec 6, 2022.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/06/1140998674/hertz-false-accusation-stealing-cars-settlement

Next time @tinman makes a thread about some one stealing $100 worth of items from a San Francisco Walgreen's, remember that it's nothing compared to the harm that rich corporations do to society.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I wonder how @StupidMoniker feels about this free expression of business unfettered by government intervention and regulation.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

One Hertz customer was driving her rental car in Chicago when she got a flat tire, and she called Hertz to have the car towed, court records state. Months later, she was pulled over for wearing a seatbelt incorrectly when police informed her she had a warrant for her arrest; she was jailed for more than 30 days, she said in a lawsuit.

Another customer in Florida extended her Hertz rental four times — but the car was reported stolen before the end of the extension period in spite of text message communications with a Hertz employee confirming her plans to return it, court records show. She was jailed for 37 days, separated from her two children and missing her nursing school graduation, the suit said.

And a Mississippi man spent more than 6 months in jail after Hertz reported his rental car stolen; he had returned it and paid in full, but the company had failed to inform prosecutors, he said in his suit. He missed a hearing date and was incarcerated for months, the suit states.

just wow

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Random useless information -

Hertz was founded by Chicago rich guy and race horse enthusiast John D Hertz, who also founded the Yellow Cab company which is why both have the same bright yellow color scheme.

The car rental place started as a subsidiary of the cab company.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tinman likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is gross mismanagement and negligence from Hertz. And there is 30+ days jail time by “corporate” police and prosecutors. What happen to innocent until proven guilty?

RedRedemption likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ll post on your thread since you acknowledged that time is real
    @Os Trigonum

you need to tell people what Hertz is
    Especially the non contributors
    They don’t drive cars much less rent them

where would go anyway? Don’t need a car to leave the basement
    @J.R.

J.R. likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'll avoid Hertz and it's affiliates as my rental company from now on. Jesus.

Xerobull and RedRedemption like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Avis is cheaper but hertz gives you better cars

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He would say that you need to let Hertz have less regulations and oversight and let the market figure this out. Ruining a few hundred lives is good if it cuts down on red tape thereby saving customers .45 cents on their next rental and increasing shareholder value.

@tinman would blame this on the wokesters though.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This is incredibly ****ed up. Shouldn’t Hertz also face criminal charges here for fraudulently reporting stuff to the authorities?

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Exactly my thought.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would say that Hertz is hardly unregulated and that in any operation with millions of transactions, a few errors are bound to creep in. I have also personally prosecuted cases of car rentals reported as stolen. Typically, the person admits that they kept the car beyond the agreed upon date, were told to return it and refused, and were offered a dismissal if they agreed to pay the back rental fees. They were also generally not held in custody while their case was pending.
    I don't know what regulations and oversight you think would have prevented these issues. Mistakes happen. Certainly less red tape and saving customers money is a good thing. Those who were improperly accused have legal recourse.