1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

*Our picks - Is BKN a buyer or seller at the deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 5, 2024.

?

Is BKN a buyer or seller at the deadline?

1. Buyer

2. Seller

3. Neither - try to tread water

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20-29 - Bridges,a glorified role player himself, and a bunch of "consummate professional" role players...no assets besides late firsts. Cam, I guess. The weight of BS & his contract. Not enough to ever go anywhere beyond mediocrity.
    Their ownership might very well take the shortsighted view, but they really need to rebuild. (my unbiased opinion) ;)

#1 Plowman, Feb 5, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    roslolian and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Doubt they trade Bridges but to me it's hard to trade Green but rockets need to look at Bridges all around game, if your comparing apples and oranges. They probably won't make playoffs with Green, he heck of scorer but you can't win with his overall game. This is regular season and yes he's inconsistent. If he doesn't change then your over paying for Lavine Lite or whatever he becomes... You can afford to lose him because of Whitmore potential..

But No probably Nets will build around Bridges...

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope we resolve this soon......talking about Brooklyn is not really a treat.

justinh likes this.
  4. Plowman

Supporting Member

This IS the Harden trade. C'mon man. :cool: Shorting the Nets has a fiendish delight that goes along with it. Our treasure is being revealed daily and I, for one love it. We're getting a chance to see a ton of high end talent develop, while starting to win. All this under a damn good coach. We have the ammo for major trades down the road. Life is good, Bro.

theDude, topfive, Dacamel and 2 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How many swaps we got.......lol development is good, we cannot even sort out the young players right now....

But yup cool we live another day to pick another pick.

My life is independent of any picks, thanks, breh....for caring.

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

Whatever, Dude.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I see Royce O'Neale going out.....

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If they truly rejected all their picks back for Bridges, then they are committed to that guy and tanking is not their first option.

As I've been saying, they are going to pursue an FA strategy. We get a good pick this year because they wanted to give it a shot and see if they can win, but they are going to start using the late firsts to create cap space and patiently try to acquire FA's. If I'm not mistaken, if they use their 2-3 late firsts to dump Ben and another big contract, they can have cap space next summer. They can also acquire more picks and space for DFS, Claxton and Sharpe. They are going to use that cap space to sign or acquire a big player. I think they will only want to keep Bridges, Cam Johnson, Cam Thomas and one of the bigs (Sharpe/Claxton). That's a great cheap collection of talent to put around a big FA.

If you were the GM of the Brooklyn Nets, right or wrong you would be confident that you have good chances of signing FA's. I think after the KD/Irving/Harden fiasco, they are looking for a high character #1 scorer and wait till someone becomes available. Players like that are available every 6-12 months, looking to escape some franchise for whatever reason.

In my mind they're a #1 scorer away from being a contender. They just have to dump some great role players but you have to do it while Bridges/Johnson/Thomas/Sharpe are on such reasonable contracts otherwise the cap won't allow you to maneuver much.

joshuaao, Bo6, Jags and 2 others like this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

My read on the situation is all these reports are smokescreens being put out there by Brooklyn trying to drive up the price and see how much they can get for Bridges. Marks doesn't want to trade him back to us because it makes him look bad to just go get back picks he already traded away, so he's trying to trade Bridges to someone else for a price he can claim is a better return (probably including a young player with high potential).

Dude is probably trying to save his job. I doubt he finds what he's looking for, so they probably stand pat.

I expect them to keep Bridges and muddle along at the edge of the play-in and the pick this year likely ends up in the back end of the top 10, unless we get extremely lucky and they win the lottery.

TEXNIFICENT and Plowman like this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I’d hold steady wouldn’t just make a trade to make a trade. These kids are still so young and Bridges isn’t a franchise guy. He wasn’t in Phoenix and isn’t dragging Brooklyn to the top of the East either.

The Rockets need to be patient, hold your talent and picks for the right deal

cbass, Patience, J.R. and 2 others like this.
  11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

They've been mediocre for a decade and seem happy to be that way. The were able to build that KD centered "contender" without ever tanking so they'll probably just try to do that again. I know it's championship or bust for us here but some franchises just don't operate that way.

Mathloom and Plowman like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think they should be sellers.

The picks they owe the Rockets are a sunk cost. Forget about them and make other moves to improve your situation.

Trade guys like Dinwiddie, Dorian Finney-Smith & Royce O'Neale for picks and clear the salary.

Find a taker for Simmons contract in the offseason and you have reset your roster and kept your three best players in Bridges, Cam Johnson & Cam Thomas and retain bird rights to Claxton.
    That's a good place to start and you can be a player in FA as well as the trade market and several more draft picks to add to the 8 you have to start with.

They aren't in a bad place cap wise .... unless they want to be.

theDude and Plowman like this.
  13. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

For someone to take Simmons at least one of those guys is going out. He's got absolutely no value.

14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

To Me the bkn picks are worth so much more than bridges if they are going back to bkn. I would trade them to another team for a Bridges type player bc to another team they are not worth as much

I say this bc if bkn doesn't have their picks they will continue being mediocre/sign players to get better so for another team, those picks will prob not net great picks (unless injuries etc happen)

Nets on the other hand can take back their picks and then tank so that pick for them can be top 3.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm of a similar opinion to @Mathloom.

If they ONLY move on Finney Smith then can have $35M to $40M in cap space in the offseason (but that might require them to renounce Claxton).

What would be brave is to tear it down for assets, and see what Clowney and Whitehead can offer down the back end of the season, and perhaps flip them as well.
    Getting back their 2024 pick will be hard - but perhaps the asset accumulation and player development opportunity post ASB is worth giving the Rockets a great pick?

From Houston's perspective, we should sit tight on Green (filler) and the '24 pick back as our only offer...

theDude likes this.
  16. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

I think Vanvleet being injured would mean to sit back on these trades and see how Jalen Green handles this team now. More pick n rolls for Sengun and Green together

roslolian and Believe It! like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If they get that, then they just going to be Philly Number 2......Top 4 team but not a favorite to win it all still.

But better option than helming a total rebuild....

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

If they do not get a better offer, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a last second deal for Bridges at the deadline, possibly including JG (if reports are true).

They'd be stupid not to take the majority of their own picks back with Jalen included. They could always flip him for more.

Saying that.. I think it'd be stupid for the Rox to do.

joshuaao and roslolian like this.
  19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

They will not do much at this deadline but keep their core together. 100% they make a HUGE effort at Donovan Mitchell in the off-season. Donovan has made it no secret that he wants to play in his hometown of NYC. Unless the Cavs make an ECF run then I really can't see him returning. Beyond basketball reasons, imagine 10 years of your life spent as a millionaire athlete in the Salt Lake City & Cleveland.... lol

Simmons / Mitchell / Bridges / Johnson / Claxton

is a pretty nice starting 5. Thomas/O'Neal/Sharpe off the bench is quality as well. Easily good enough to battle for a top 4 seed in the East.

Contenders? maybe not but that's not the true goal for the Nets FO. They want to put out a lineup that can make the playoffs every year to sell tickets at Barclays. This would definitely suck for our picks and swaps.

#19 Bo6, Feb 6, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why do we need to resolve it? Just get the damn pick it could be a top 3 pick due to how the odds work now.