1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt's "Dead Arm..Legs!"

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bobblehead, Jul 31, 2005.

1. msn

msn Member

Yeah, I didn't count 2001 as he spent the stretch run on the DL and that start, thanks in large part to Dierk's ridiculous "Mike Jackson" decision, never materialized.

2. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Has Oswalt ever had a major sore elbrow problems in his career?
    I know his groin was an issue the last two seasons at times.
    But I can't recall any arm issues with him.
    Just wondering....

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I love how Vandertard had no idea about this when a caller wanted to discuss it this afternoon.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No elbow/arm/shoulder problems so far (don't worry... I'm furiously knocking on wood while I type this).

He did have a strained rib-cage that he pitched with all last year.

Also, one thing I've noticed with Roy... in seasons which he's pitched the entire year (2002, 2004), he's tired significantly as the team played on into September (and last year in October).

In 2002, he had three shots at winning 20 games, and he pitched pretty badly in all of them (and that was the only reason his ERA ended up being above 3 that year... he was awesome the entire year, except for those last 3 starts).

Last year, while he was money down the stretch... he definitely seemed like a different pitcher in the playoffs. He wasn't able to pitch thru the 7th inning in game 2 vs. Atlanta (with Garner bringing in Lidge too early!), and then he was pretty bad in his one start against St. Louis in game 4 of the NLCS (and gave up a run in his releif stint in game 7). He also admitted that since he'd never thrown this many innings before, and coupled with the rib-cage, he was definitely extremly tired.

Hopefully, his bout this year can be cured by some off-days, and some easy games (where he doesn't have to throw 110+ pitches).