1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt, Astros near deal - 2 year/$17 million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3032789

Feb. 10, 2005, 12:00AM

By BRIAN MCTAGGART
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The Astros are closing in on a two-year contract agreement with righthander Roy Oswalt and a deal could be announced as early as today, according to sources close to the situation.

Oswalt, the only 20-game winner in the NL last season, has a salary arbitration hearing scheduled for next Tuesday, but negotiations picked up so significantly Tuesday and Wednesday that both sides are hopeful a deal can be reached soon.

Oswalt has asked for $7.8 million in arbitration and has been offered $6 million by the club. Astros general manager Tim Purpura was cautiously optimistic a deal could be worked out with Oswalt before next week's hearing.

"Both sides have really worked at it," he said. "It's been real good dialogue. I think there's certainly a willingness on both parties to get something done, certainly before the hearing."

Sources say Oswalt is trying to work with the Astros to leave them some payroll flexibility if they decide to obtain another player this year. It appears Oswalt won't get the $7.8 million he filed for this year, but he stands to make anywhere from $17 million to $17.5 million over the course of the deal, which would equate to at least $8.5 million a year.

"We're trying to work the Astros on some structure issues," Oswalt's agent Bob Garber said.

Meanwhile, Purpura has been in contact with a number of general managers in recent days, but he said it's unlikely the Astros will make be able to make a trade to add a center fielder before the start of spring training.

"Things would have to heat up," he said. "Everybody's just trying to take the temperature of each other and see how things go when we get into spring training. You can make a deal, but it's not going to help you. You might be spending money that later you could use better."

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see them lock him up for a little longer than 2 years, but at least they are committed to not going to arbitration.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Me too RL - I would have prefered a 4 year deal but I will take this nonetheless.

But why must every deal seam like the players are trying to do the team a favor? You hear phrases like "...trying to give the team payroll flexibiliy" and "...home town discount". Is that the only way we can keep our best players or land key FA? I know that this issue has been thrashed out many times in this forum but it just worries me to see that we are a team that "prays and hopes for miracles and breaks" all the time.

4. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

"Sources say Oswalt is trying to work with the Astros to leave them some payroll flexibility if they decide to obtain another player this year."

If NJRocket were Oswalt's agent with the knowledge that there is no plan B, Oswalt would be getting top dollar this year.

;)

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

no question about it!

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Great price for a key player. Avoiding arbitration is key. I was hoping for a longer deal, but at least this ensures we won't have to worry about arbitration next year, too.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

2 freakin' years...Damn, we need to lock this guy up L-T...Maybe it has something to do with Bags contract...once the money frees up, then you sign L-T...

This is still a great deal, but still puzzled about the term...

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I hope there's an option or extra year kicker.

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

there are many reasons that 2 years makes sense for both sides.

Roy O doesn't know what the franchise will look like beyond 2 years. Clemens, Pettitte (I think), Baggy, Biggio, Berkman . . . could all be gone or still be here (except clemens). In 2 years, we'll know if Lane, Burke and to a lesser degree Tavarez has the ability to play at this level. This deal gives Roy the chance to see what the team will look like before committing to it long term. In the mean time, the 2 year deal lets Roy get market value for a guy of his status (elite pitcher that's not eligible for FA yet).

For the stros, they get to see if Roy will hold up physically for 2 more years before giving him that humongo contract. That's 2 more years of data on this guy. Pitcher health is the hardest to predict. Also, by giving only 2 years, the team has more flexibility to decide the direction of the team. As noted above, Lane, Burke and Tavarez suck, the Stros may get most bang for their buck by spending Roy O money over several positions and players. Or, they can trade Roy to a contender for prospects (ala RentaRandyJohnson) without Roy being shackled to a horrible contract.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the deal goes through, he will be under contract for 2005 and 2006. He still cannot be a free agent until after 2007. This gives both sides flexibility for the future.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Great move. No-brainer.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow that is insanely cheap. i see you guys being mad we aren't gonna get him locked up for longer but man that is an insanely cheap price for oswalt.

13. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

It should be noted that he'll still be under club control for the next 3 years regardless of how long of a deal he signs.

Getting a guy like Oswalt this cheap is a testament to how important developing your own pitching is. (Unless you're the Yanks)

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Glad they got it done. :cool:

15. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

It's official

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3034674

Astros sign Oswalt to 2-year, $16.9-million deal

The Astros signed right-handed pitcher Roy Oswalt to a two-year, $16.9-million contract.

Oswalt, 27, finished the 2004 season with a 20-10 record and a 3.49 ERA in 36 games (35 starts), becoming the eighth Astros pitcher to win 20 games in a season. The 20 wins marked a career-high for Oswalt, and he won 12 of his last 14 decisions last year.

“Roy established himself as one of the best pitchers in the game in 2004,” said Purpura. “He has been a vital part of our success on the mound for the last four years, and we look forward to his continued success in an Astros uniform.”

Oswalt made his Major League debut with Houston on May 6, 2001 and appeared in 28 games (20 starts) that season. He finished the season 14-3 with a 2.73 ERA and was named the Astros Rookie of the Year, finishing second to Albert Pujols in the NL Rookie of the Year balloting. Oswalt was originally selected by the Astros in the 23rd round of the June 1996 draft.

16. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

glad they got him signed. I'd have liked to see a little longer contract, but based on how little he signed for.. it looks like he wants to be an astro and that is always a good thing...

2 yrs 16.9. seriously.. I'd have guessed his value was more around 2 yrs 22-25 mil or so at least.. glad we got him for such a reasonable price!

17. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Wow, I'am a casual baseball fan....but I would think Oswalt is worth more than that? That being said, I wish the 'Stros would of kept him for a little longer but they got a bargain on this one.

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Explain further. I thought 2 year deal meant he is signed for 2005 and 2006. Or it just an extention to an already existing one that was already in place for the 2005 season? Doesn't that mean he will be a free agent after the 2nd year, 2006?

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The way baseball works, Oswalt is not eligible to file for free agency until after the 2007 season. If he is not signed to a contract after 2006, they will go through the arbitration process again. In short, he is bound to the Astros through 2007, although he is not yet signed to a 2007 contract.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

and if he continues to stay healthy and put up the numbers he has been, he will get a long term deal after the 2006 season. Roy Oswalt will not see an arbitration hearing in 2007.