1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt and Backe on trading block?!?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bag0b0y, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I just finished reading the rumor mill in sports illustrated (so i hope it's nothing more than a rumor) and this is what it stated: (sorry I don't know how to do links, just cut and paste.)

As much as he would love to make a trade, White Sox' GM Ken Williams is doing his best to keep his finger off the trigger. ''Believe me, if there is something out there that is really special, don't you think for one minute that if I felt it gets us to the World Series, yeah, we would aggressively pursue that,'' Williams said. The rumor mill is stuffed with big-name players supposedly available -- pitchers such as Eric Milton, Roy Oswalt, Brandon Backe and Kip Wells and offensive threats such as Preston Wilson, Mike Cameron, Eric Chavez, Aubrey Huff and Matt Lawton. Certainly, one of those names could give a talented Sox team an extra bounce in October.
    -- Chicago Sun-Times

The only way for the Astros to have even a remote chance at nabbing a solid bat is to include pitcher Brandon Backe in the deal.
    -- Galveston Daily News

If this is true does that mean we're giving up the season?

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

how the hell did oswalt get on the trading block rumor mill list?

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

That says it all. Not gonna happen

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Galveston County Daily News is barely acceptable as bird cage lining, let alone a sports information source...

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Here are some other scoops by the Chicago Sun-Times:

The Cardinals are looking for some bullpen help, and are dangling So Taguchi, Al Reyes, Albert Pujols and Einar Diaz in the pursuit. Also, checking in to the Anorexia Institute today were Mary-Kate Olsen, Calista Flockhart, Fat Albert and Kate Moss.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I would look at trading Backe while his stock is high.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ditto.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'll agree too. He walks too many batters for a guy without electrifying stuff. That said, the only negative is that it would essentially end this season... having two guys like Wandy and Astacio in the rotation would be sad. But, if they can sign a couple of mediocre to slightly above average starters in the offseason, I think they'd be better off if they can land a solid corner OF bat for Backe.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Corner bats or Backe? Give be BB. he can pitch every 5th day (and play corner bat two of the others).

Do not even consider jettisoning Backe for anything less than a Class A stud.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Absolutely no chance in hell that Oswalt is on the block. He was just signed long term and is going to be one of the faces of this team for a very long time.

I'd hesitate on moving Backe. His upside is great. Remember that he has only been pitching for a few years. He can only improve with time and is learning from the best. Clemens and Pettitte won't be here forever. Might as well make sure that we have at least one other starter with experience to go along with Oswalt once Clemens and Pettitte hang it up.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree with this. when clemens "retires" again this season, we're going to wish we had Backe in there to start. it's easier to go get bats than it is to get starting pitchers.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Astros have a lot of pitching this season, how's that worked out?

Backe is a fourth starter, when Roger retires his being on or off this team has no bearing on replacing him.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Backe's era is now 5.06. This guy's legend is greater than his reality. Move him while the gettings good. He's replaceable.

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Oswalt, Lidge, and Clemens should be the only untouchables on the team.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd take out the middle one. Look at the injuries to closers over the last few years. I say, if you can get something good in return, you have to look at moving Lidge this year. Who knows if he'll be like Gagne, Wagner or Dotel next season.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

That's a little odd to say. I mean, you're basically saying the only value in having a closer is that he can net you something in a trade.. sure, closers can get hurt. Dotel had a history (and horrible motion), Wagner had been worked for a number of years, and Gagne saved every game for 2 consecutive seasons. There were circumstances.

No doubt there's a risk. But to say we should look at moving Lidge for "something good" is a little too far I think. Maybe if you're meaning one of those incredible offers...sure, I guess you can take it and hope. But we only moved Wagner with Dotel behind him, and we only moved Dotel with Lidge back there. I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of one of those teams who closes by committee for a few seasons, trying to find someone to help.

It sucked when we had 5.00 ERA Mike Williams closing for us for a while, though he did a decent job..

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Where's Hun when u need him?

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just think that for a team in our position, having a stud closer is a luxury. If you could get a bat or some almost-ready top of the line prospects for Lidge, I say you have to do it.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You obviously think that he will be a career 5+ era guy. I don't. I think that he has only been pitching since 2000 and still has a lot to learn. He's got the mental makeup for it. He just needs to get the consistency of his pitches. He has to be able to hit the corners. Yesterday, he couldn't hit the side of a barn. I honestly believe that in a couple of years, he will be a 12-15 game winner consistently with an era in the high 3's to low 4's. That is 3rd starter material in today's MLB. I agree with MadMax. It's much easier to get bats than it is to get good pitching.

If only we could have put Backe's head in Tim Redding's body. That would have been a hell of a pitcher.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not much more than a 4.50 guy for his career. That isn't bad by today's standards, but if you can get something for him, do it. I like Backe's heart also, but his production is replaceable.

There's no point of hanging onto a third or fourth starter quality pitcher.