1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt 4th in Cy Young voting

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by white lightning, Nov 14, 2006.

1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9802689

NEW YORK -- Brandon Webb of the Arizona Diamondbacks won a wide-open race for the NL Cy Young Award, beating out San Diego closer Trevor Hoffman on Tuesday.

One of six pitchers who tied for the league lead with a pedestrian total of 16 wins, Webb received 15 of 32 first-place votes and 103 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Hoffman, who broke the career saves record last season, got 12 first-place votes and 77 points.

St. Louis Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter, the 2005 Cy Young Award winner, finished third with two first-place votes and 63 points.

Houston's Roy Oswalt, who led the NL with a 2.98 ERA, got the other three first-place selections and came in fourth.

Webb, who went 16-8 with a 3.10 ERA, was listed second on seven ballots and third on seven others. No pitcher was included on every entry.

2. msn

msn Member

OK, so I guess year-after-year-after-freaking-damned-YEAR dominance doesn't wash with Cy Young voters, it's only this year. Not that that should trump a clear better performance, but when it's "wide open", and everyone's that close, shouldn't it count for something?

FOURTH??? You've got to be freaking kidding me.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. The only two that should have appeared on the ballots were Hoffman and Oswalt. Webb had a fluke year and Carpenter was up-and-down all year.

4. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

If Oswalt played in NY. He'd have atleast two Cy Youngs already.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

webb had a great year but oswalt was the most dominant down the stretch in a pennant race, lowering his era to be the best in the league. it should have been his award.

6. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Webb was 8-0 in April and May and 8-8 from June on. That doesn't sound very Cy-like.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I had already decided post season baseball awards are worthless after AE didn't win the gold glove.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, you can tell there's an East Coast bias in the Cy Young voting...

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

not to be picky but isnt houston closer to the east coast then arizona....

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Ok, of course I was Rooting for O and he should have won, but Webb...Are you f'n kidding me...I would have rather seen Hoff than him...

11. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I'm surprised that Webb won as convincingly as he did. I thought that Webb, Carpenter, & Oswalt would split the votes pretty evenly, allowing Hoffman to sneak ahead of all three. Every time I convinced myself that one was more deserving, I'd see something that changed my mind.

- Roy O. led the NL in ERA & BB/K and finished #2 in BB/9, but gave up way more H/9 than the other 2.
    - Carpenter led the NL in WHIP and was the only one among the Big 3 to finish Top 10 in H/9, BB/9, & K/B. New Busch played as the most pitcher-friendly of the three stadiums involved.
    - Webb tied for the league lead in W (only 1 more than both Carpenter & Oswalt), and had the best park-adjusted ERA in the NL. He also finished second in WHIP, behind Carpenter and ahead of Roy O. Webb pitched in the most hitter-friendly park of the three.

Overall, I probably would have given it to Carpenter, but wouldn't have argued if any of the three would have won.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

how the hell did carpenter not win?

13. msn

msn Member

By not pitching as well as Roy *or* Webb.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I thought Webb was a slight front runner until the last week. I thought it should have been up for graps with him, Carpenter and Oswalt--basically who ever finished stronger with 1 week to go. But Webb sucked at the end and Oswalt caught him in ERA, I thought Oswalt earned it.

15. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

There is a head scratcher for you.

Roy O. had lower ERA, what gives?

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Hoffman should not have been on that list, he barely pitched. He was such an in vogue pick this season because he broke the record for saves.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Roy Was ROBBED! :mad:

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

They should have just given both awards to Johan Santana.

19. msn

msn Member

Can't argue with that.

I was surprised that Liriano was as low in the ROY voting as he was.

20. robgue

robgue Member
    Supporting Member

i'm not sure what roy has to do and or prove now. At this rate he will be one of the best ever. yet still no cy young. hurts more as AE got robbed out of a gold glove.