1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oscar Winning Actor William Hurt Dies at Age 71

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deckard, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sunday, actor William Hurt passed away at age 71 from natural causes. I always liked him. He was one of those special actors who could gave a great performance while making it look effortless. His first film was Altered States in 1980, and by 1985 he'd won an Oscar for his role in Kiss of the Spider Woman. Between those two, he had starring roles in Eye Witness, Body Heat, The Big Chill, and Gorky Park, and was excellent in all of them. Other significant films include Broadcast News, The Accidental Tourist, Lost in Space, A History of Violence, and Syriana.

He'll definitely be remembered. Rest in peace.

2. droxford

droxford Member

You young-uns would know him from the Avengers movies as General Ross (or Secretary Ross).

Deckard, Jontro and mikol13 like this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The Accidental Tourist is one of my favorite films of all time. And, who can forget Altered States and The Big Chill?

We will miss your talent on screen, William Hurt! And, we thank you!

This is sad, shocking news. RIP

Deckard likes this.
  4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Always a favorite of mine, I was really sad to see this through my feed yesterday. RIP good sir.....

Deckard likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

Deckard, Slyonebluejay and droxford like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A great actor and sad to see him go at only 71..

Rocket River likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel bad speaking ill of the recently deceased but I didn't know this about William Hurt.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...iam-Hurt-13-years-accused-physical-abuse.html
    'He taught me a great deal...' Awkward moment Marlee Matlin is asked about death of ex-partner William Hurt in red carpet interview - 13 years after she accused him of brutally raping and beating her in the 80s
    • The CODA star, 56, was asked about Hurt's passing as she walked the red carpet at the Critics Choice Awards on Sunday
    • At first, the actress, who is deaf, appeared lost for words; she shrugged her shoulders and signed, 'You're the first person to ask me about him'
    • Matlin then composed herself and described Hurt as a 'great actor' who 'taught her a lot', adding that he was 'one-of-a-kind'
    • In her 2009 book, I'll Scream Later, Matlin accused Hurt of abusing her during their two-year relationship, which began when she was 19 and he was 35
    • She recalled one alleged incident when he 'came home around 4:30 A.M. drunk', 'pulled her out of bed... ripped off her clothes... and rammed himself inside her'
    • Hurt died at the age of 71 on Sunday 'of natural causes,' his son said
    • The actor announced in 2018 that he was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer that had spread to his bones
    Actress Marlee Matlin paid tribute to late actor and ex-partner William Hurt as a 'great actor' and 'one-of-a-kind' man during an uncomfortable red carpet interview on Sunday night - 13 years after she accused him of brutally raping and beating her during their two-year relationship in the mid-80s.

The 56-year-old CODA star, who is deaf, visibly struggled to respond after being asked about Hurt's passing by an ET reporter at the Critics Choice Awards, shrugging her shoulders and raising up her hands, before signing: 'You're the first person to ask me about him.'

After a pause, she then continued: 'We've lost a really great actor and working with him on set in Children of a Lesser God will always be something I remember very fondly,' Matlin said of Hurt, who she dated for two years. 'He taught me a great deal as an actor and he was one-of-a-kind.'

Her positive words about the actor starkly contrast the recollections about their relationship that she included in her 2009 book, I'll Scream Later, in which she accused the actor of persistently abusing her throughout their two-year romance.

Matlin and Hurt, who met on the set of the movie Children of a Lesser God - for which she won an Oscar - began dating in the mid-80s, when she was 19 and he was 35.

However, decades after they split, Matlin claimed in her memoir that she faced repeated physical, emotional, and sexual abuse at the hands of Hurt, alleging in one particularly disturbing passage that he brutally raped her after he 'came home around 4:30AM drunk'.

'The next thing I knew he’d pulled me out of the bed, screaming at me, shaking me,' Matlin wrote, according to The Daily Beast.

'I was scared, I was sobbing. Then he threw me on the bed, started ripping off his clothes and mine. I was crying. "No, no, no. Please Bill, no." The next thing I remember is Bill ramming himself inside me as I sobbed.'

In a statement issued by Hurt in 2009, the actor did not deny the allegations made by his former girlfriend, but insisted that both he and Matlin had 'apologized' to one another and 'done a great deal to heal their lives'.

'My own recollection is that we both apologized and both did a great deal to heal our lives,' he said.

'Of course, I did and do apologize for any pain I caused. And I know we both have grown. I wish Marlee and her family nothing but good.'

After Matlin's accusations against Hurt were made public, she opened up in further detail about their relationship in an interview with Access Hollywood, claiming that she was 'always afraid' of the actor during their romance.

'But I loved him. I did. Or maybe I thought I did. But look, I was 19, he was 35,' she said, adding that they 'were together for two years.'

When asked about physical abuse, Matlin said she 'always had fresh bruises everyday... and if I had a split lip, or if… I mean, there were a lot of things that happened that were not pleasant.'

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

RIP, old bean

Deckard likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Was amazing and sickly as the main bad guy in first season of Goliath (a guilty pleasure watch).

EDIT: having trouble finding clips of him, strangely, from that show. Character was Donald Cooperman, I think. But here's a seriously strange interview he gave when that show was new, circa five years ago.

https://decider.com/2016/10/14/william-hurt-goliath-interview/

#9 B-Bob, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Rocket River, Entropy and FrontRunner like this.
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

RIP........loved him in the Big Chill

Deckard likes this.
  11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I need to rewatch Mr. Brooks.

He was the rare actor that elevated everything he was a part of.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was coming to talk about this movie as well
    By Far one of my most Underrated Favorite Movies

He was great in Altered States I beleive as well

He had many good movies and moments.

RIP Mr. Hurt

Rocket River

Deckard and FrontRunner like this.
  14. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I only saw it the one time, right around when it was released, but it stuck with me.

I honestly can't imagine any other actor playing that part. It made me very uncomfortable, but it was fascinating at the same time.

I tried to find highlights even to post, but it seems there aren't many of us that want to remember it. I can understand.

I need to see Altered States. Sounds good.

Deckard likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was something so . . .. .pleasant and dark about that movie
    Cosner and Hurt together in scenes were hilariously wicked
    It was a solid story from beginning to end and the Actors stayed in their lanes

Altered States kind of freaked me out when I first saw it.
    The last scenes were crazy

Rocket River
    -- Though unrelated - If you want another underrated gem : Untraceable <-- Diane Lane movie

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I agree. I wouldn't have pictured either of them making that flick, but they were both perfectly cast.

I can remember seeing Colin Hanks and Diane Lane together before, but I'm not sure I saw that one. I'll look for it when I log out though. Her movies have been consistently decent or better, from what I recall...

17. adoo

adoo Member

RIP

what range of characters that William Hurt has portrayed !

from a national news broadcaster, good-looking but lacing in substance in [​IMG],

to 2-bit second-rate sleazy lawyer in [​IMG],

to a homosexual imprisoned in a Brazil jail for raping a young boy [​IMG],

to an Irish mob boss in Philly in [​IMG],

to Secretary of Treasury Hank Paulson in [​IMG], etc.

Deckard likes this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Altered States
    Eyewitness
    Body Heat
    The Big Chill
    Gorky Park
    Kiss of the Spider Woman
    Children of A Lesser God
    Broadcast News
    The Accidental Tourist
    Into The Wild
    All the Marvel films

Quite a resume....

Deckard and FrontRunner like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Kiss of the Spider Woman

Amazing movie that I will probably never watch again.

Deckard likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Altered States
    Eyewitness
    Body Heat
    The Big Chill
    Gorky Park
    Kiss of the Spider Woman
    Children of A Lesser God
    Broadcast News
    The Accidental Tourist
    History of Violence