1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opinions On Various Laptop Brands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CJLarson, Oct 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Hey CF, I'm looking to get a new laptop very soon and would like to know your experiences with a few brands, good and bad.

I myself have been satisfied with Toshiba laptops over the years.

I'd like opinions on Acer, Asus, Dell, HP and Sony. Even other opinions on Toshibas.

Thanks in advance!

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Macbook Pro. /thread

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Everybody loves Macbook Pro's. That's the way to go.

4. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

love my lenovo

5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I really like Asus for its gaming laptops and ultrabooks.

I love Lenovo for their ThinkPad line (I've been a ThinkPad fan since the IBM days).

Dell and HP also make good notebooks for their professional line. HP consumer line is very good for the value as is Dell (at college, everyone had HP, Dell, or Gateway computers).

My friends has Toshibas and they liked them a lot. Acer I dislike because I had poor customer support versus their competitors. I recommend you check out the Notebookreview forum for "which laptop should I buy?" section. It will be 100x more helpful than just CF.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not thrilled with the current Asus, weird issues with the mouse. Though every book I've ever had crapped out after a year or two and my HP hard drive crashed after two months: it was the one with the big screen and designs on the ase, that they heavily advertised for graphics and stuff. I had a Toshiba Satellite that lost its video inverter, at least that's what CompUSA said after keeping it in storage for two months.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Lenovo Thinkpad.

8. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

What are you going to be using it for is my first question.

9. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I've had 2 ASUS laptops. Both solid and reliable.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad which I'm happy with, but its a bit pricey.

Is this going to be your primary or sole computer? Do you have a desktop? Will you be doing compute-intensive stuff with it? If you have a desktop, and you just want something for when you're traveling out of the home, you should go for something very light weight. My thinkpad is very bulky (its my only computer), which makes it kind of uncomfortable to lug around.

11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I'm about to get the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Dell has improved a lot in the last 2years. They currently have some great touch screen ultrabooks.

13. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I've had HPs in the past that were absolute trash so I've soured on the brand for personal use, although, the HP notebook I have for work has been very reliable. I have a MacBook Pro for personal use that I love, but I wish I had the portability of the Air now that they're more powerful and power efficient with the Haswell chips.

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've been a pc guy my whole life so iffy about switching to mac. I'll mostly be using it for school stuff and personal entertainment. Not a gamer at all. Downloading and burning movies from time to time. Truth is in looking on craigslist for my next laptop at a cheaper price since that's what I can afford. Will be trying everything I can before I buy. I'd really like something lighter than the current Toshiba Satellite I have with an extended battery sticking out.

15. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

What's your price range?

16. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Not looking to spend more than about 500. I've got a list of about 20 on my Craigslist favorites that grabbed my attention. A big thing for me is a fast boot time so would really like one with an SSD.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not everyone. I have one from work and would trade it in for a Lenovo in a heartbeat.

Aluminum chassis is slippery
    Not enough USB ports
    sharp edges
    douchy looking glowing apple

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yep. I used a Macbook Pro for work for a period of about 3 months earlier this year. I couldn't get used to it. The cold, metallic, sharp exterior was not comfortable to me, too many new keyboard shortcuts to learn for doing basic things, and I'm not a fan of the UI (probably just not used to it).

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Acer - okay
    Asus - above okay
    Dell - hate
    HP - okay, bad history
    Sony - okay-to-good but bloatware loaded sometimes
    Toshibas - okay but feels cheap, but they are cheap

I like the high end Samsungs. And Lenovo is better than a lot of those above.

20. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Find a really cheap laptop you like with a regular HDD, take out said HDD, install (Preferbably Samsung 840/Pro, etc) SSD, reinstall fresh Windoze, install drivers and updates, GG.