1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One's A Meal Closing Down

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Man, one of my favorite late-night hangs and the best grilled cheese in town, One's A Meal on Memorial closed down. The company that owned the land sold it to a developer who is putting in, get this, a strip mall with a Subway, Marble Slab, Starbucks (oh, joy) and a dry cleaners. Just what Houston needs, another strip mall! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the other location on Gray is still there but there was nothing like hanging in the atrium on a weekday morning watching all the guys on cellphones or in the empty main restaurant at 4am after a gig. I hope they manage to re-open in another location but I'm not hopeful considering they were auctioning off all the equipment.

Ms. Mable was da bomb fry cook and the waitresses knew my order by heart. All that was left today was a sign on the door reading: "CLOSED. Thanks Houston for all the years."

They will be sorely missed. :(

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

R.I.P

The Fusion Cafe got closed down by the rail this week, too! *sigh*

3. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Man, my friends and I used to go there all the time after long nights out on the town. I've got some good memories at least!

4. Fatty FatBastard

Jeff;

Try "Mama's cafe" on Westheimer. Not too bad for late night eateries.

('Course, ya gotta love "Ruchi's" anywhere! Now THAT is A great place to eat on a late night! (For anyone who isn't familiar, try a fajita Torta. Costs $3, and it will fill you up!)

:)

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I'm glad I at least got to try the place before it closed... I ate there once.

R.I.P. O.A.M. (One's A Meal)
    :(

rH

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

YOU KNOW!!
    I use to eat there all the time

D*MN YOU MONORAIL!!!!!

Rocket River

8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Damn! too bad...

Hey, we still got House of Guys on Kirby.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Monorail...monorail...monorail...monorail...

Marge: I hear those things are awfully loud
    Lyle Lanley: It rides as swiftly as a cloud

Apu: Is there a chance the track could bend?
    Lyle Lanley: Not on your life, my hindu friend

Barney: What about us braindead slobs?
    Lyle Lanley: You'll be given cushy jobs

Ned: Were you sent here by the devil?
    Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I'm on the level

Wiggim: The ring came off my pudding can
    Lyle Lanley: Take my pen knife, my good man...

Yes, Houston, you can be just like Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook!

Sorry, couldn't pass up a good Simpsons reference...

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I live right across the street from the One's-A-Meal, right across from Memorial behind the Diamond Shamrock. My opinion: there was nothing special about it. I know people like to attach "atmosphere" to a restaurant, which may be true, but I honestly thought the food was only on the same level as IHOP. Which isn't to say you don't need some of those restaurants around, but for someone who lives so close, I will make much better use of the Starbucks and the Subway and the Marble Slab and the Dry CLeaners, and I dont even like coffee (granted with at least 6 Starbucks within 2-3 miles and the infamous 2 right across the street from each other on the corner of Shepard and West Gray, they dont need another). Anyway, I'm sorry for your guys' loss, but cant wait for the conveince of a place to get a great Subway sandwhich right across the street.

Hey, at least it wasn't Otto's!

BTW Jeff, was there anywhere on-line you read about the strip mall. Just curious as to what else may eventually be in there.

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Subway definitely rocks!

MMMM...foot long cold cut trio with deli-style mustard...

and I do mean <b>DELI-STYLE</b> mustard!!

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!

It wasn't just a sentimental issue for me. The fact that they are erasing mom and pop establishments that make up the heart of any good city and putting a strip mall in its place irritates me.

There is a Blimpe on block from you and a Starbuck's about 5 blocks away. It isn't like you need another dry cleaner's either because there's a good one right next door to Blimpe! And the Marble Slab near there is right next door to the Startbuck's 5 blocks away!!!

You should search the Houston Business Journal for info on it.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

hmmm, Blimpee

14. JayZ750

I do use that Dry Cleaner :D, although I think everyone would agree Blimpie sucks in comparison to Subway, although there is a Subway just ten minutes away by car on Westheimer anyway.

Still, I've heard the mom&pop routine before. Why are mom&pop places better than strip malls? Why do mom&pop stores make up the heart of any good city? Granted, they add a good, down to earth kind of feel that you want to have some of, but innovation is innovation, change is change. I prefer the strip mall.

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Continued

Lyle Lanley: I swear its Houston's only choice! Throw up your hands and raise your voice!

All: Monoraaaiill

Lyle Lanley: What's it called?

All: Monoraaiill

Lyle Lanley: Once again

All: Monoraaaaiiiilllll!

Marge: But Beechnut's still all cracked and broken

Bart: Sorry mom, the mob has spoken.

All: Monoraaaaaiiiilllll, Monoraaaaiiiiilllll, Monorraaaaaaaaaiiiiillll!

All: MONORAIL!!!

Homer: Mono-DOH!

:D

#15 AstroRocket, Aug 30, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2001
  16. edc

edc Contributing Member

Strip malls are commercialization, not innovation. They exist because it is more "efficient" to have four stores which do four things adequately instead of one which excels in any given thing.

The perfect analogy: Music stations on the radio. Before the conglomerates snapped up everything, you used to be able to tell the "spirit" of a community by its radio. Not only the promotions, but the DJs...and even the music itself catered to what you and your friends wanted to hear...not what some programming giant ten states away told them to play.

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

edc said it perfectly, but I'll add to it.

How do you think most businesses got started? Bill Gates got going in a garage. People have to start somewhere. Subway began as a single family sandwich shop. Blockbuster was one tiny little video rental store in Florida.

Small community owned stores bring money directly back into the community and add to the character of neighborhoods. Big businesses tend to damage business opportunities for locals. Many of them bring in their own people to run the place from out of town.

The point is that communities aren't ultimately supported by outside businesses. They are here for profit and ONLY profit. When you are from here, you care more about what happens here. How many local business leaders have become influential in politics and fundraising? I guess you could just ask Matress Mac or Bob McNair if you're curious.

18. JayZ750

So is it innovation or not? Is starting in a garage or as a single family sandwhich shop and growing into something bigger entrepreneuership and innovation or isn't it? Did edc say it perfectly?

But why is a station like MTV so successful. They are basically a big programming giant telling the whole nation what to listen to, but you know what, kids listen, and they like it. They aren't crying for more music channels (there are tons of music channels out there now, yet MTV still holds all the cards). What about Barnes&Noble? You really don't think Barnes&Noble excels in the book business. They can get you any book you want. There prices are better than most mom&pop stores. Maybe they lack in certain areas, but a mom&pop book store will lack in many areas while excelling in only one; providing a homey atmosphere. Subway is another example. In my opinion Subway EXCELS at making sandwhichs. They make some of the best sandwhichs you can get for your money and at your convenience. The same can be said about Quizno's. But the same can not be said about every mom&pop sandwhich store. Some are good, some aren't even close to adequate, much less excelling.

Commercialization is innovation. It isn't the be all end all, but here and there it is necessary. We don't need to cut down every tree in the forest, but when and if you need wood, then you take out the axe and cut down the tree. As a consumer, you may not think another Subway or another Starbucks or a Kolache factory is necessary, but as a different consumer who passes and will make use of that strip mall much more, I think it will be great. Bring on the smoothies and the 6 inch clubs.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is sad!! I would never have guessed that Ones a Meal wasn't doing well. My parents used to eat there after church when they were dating...they took me all the time growing up as a kid. Can't tell you how many times we stopped there after Astros or Rockets games on weekend evenings. I suppose things must change...but I don't have to like it. So long Ones a Meal!!

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

JayZ: We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I like Subway too. I'm not arguing that we should destroy all of them. I'm just saying that preserving the history of our communities has tremendous value to all of us. Whether it's an old neighborhood, a landmark or a business, preservation of local landmarks are important. What would New York be without Radio City Music Hall? What would San Francisco be without the winding street? Are they the most efficient? Are they modern or innovative? Nope. Are they valuable? Damn right.

I would also venture a guess that memories made in a unique place in the community hold longer. I can't remember the last time I was at Subway or Starbucks or which one. But, I definitely remember late nights at One's A Meal and breakfasts at Java Java on 11th.