1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One-Way Mars Mission: Would You Boldly Go?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oldgunrules, Jan 14, 2011.

1. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Link

One-Way Mars Mission: Would You Boldly Go?
    Scientists Propose Mars Settlement With No Return; Hundreds Surprise Them and Volunteer

By KI MAE HEUSSNER
    Jan. 13, 2011
    Crisscrossing the galaxy a la Captain Kirk may sound heroic, but would you volunteer for a Star Trek-like voyage if you knew you could never come home?

In a special edition published in October, the Journal of Cosmology detailed how a human mission to Mars could be a reality in as little as 20 years. But the complexity, risk and cost of getting astronauts there and back have kept the idea firmly on the ground.

So a few scientists proposed an unconventional idea: send astronauts -- but simplify the flight by making it a one-way trip. The astronauts would be settlers as well as explorers. A return trip is massively more difficult than the voyage there, partly because the fuel and supplies to get home would have make the round trip from Earth.

It's just a fanciful idea for now -- but the editors say they were stunned when more than 500 e-mail messages came from people around the world, volunteering to be the first Mars colonists.

Students, soldiers, law enforcement officers, nurses, and space enthusiasts young and old wrote in, saying they'd be happy to leave their lives on Earth for the chance to be pioneers. (The response was so great, in fact, that the journal announced Thursday that it would actively seek volunteers and supporters for a Mars mission. It encouraged the public to sign up on the journal's home page or e-mail them.)

"It's going to happen some way or another sometime. It may as well happen now. I don't see any sense in delaying it," said R.J. Musat, a 56-year-old computer operator at Cuyahoga Community College in Cleveland, Ohio.

Musat, who was among the hundreds of volunteers to e-mail the journal, said he's been interested in exploring Mars since he read Robert Heinlein's sci-fi novel "Stranger in a Strange Land" in the 1960s.

Among his self-described credentials: a familiarity with computers, the ability to execute high-tech tasks and a genius-level I.Q.

When asked why he would be willing to leave his son, family and friends behind, he said, "Christopher Columbus did it. It's a pioneering thing. ...Because it's there."

Scientist: Part of the Human Spirit Seeks Exploration, Risk
    In an e-mail to the journal, an honorably discharged Navy veteran said he should be a crew member because, aside from his military background, he has never fathered a child and has no commitments on Earth he wouldn't be able to leave behind.

"Sign me up for the adventure of a lifetime!" he said.

Many who claimed no relevant training at all added their names to the list.

"I think I would be a great candidate because I could help people cope with the depression, I'm continuously optimistic and happy," wrote an 18-year-old man from Alaska.

The one-way mission proposal, titled "To Boldly Go: A One-Way Human Mission to Mars," is part of a book published by the journal that combines the work of more than 70 NASA scientists. "The Human Mission to Mars: Colonizing the Red Planet" is billed as a step-by-step "how-to" series on going to Mars.

"I do think there is still part of the human spirit that is willing to explore new places and take risks," said Dirk Schulze-Makuch, professor of earth sciences at Washington State University and co-author of the one-way mission proposal.

Not a Suicide Mission, but an Opportunity to Settle the Red Planet
    In the proposal, Schulze-Makuch and Paul Davies, a physicist and cosmologist at Arizona State University, suggest sending four astronauts to Mars to stake out the first human outpost there.

The scientists emphasized that it wouldn't be a "suicide mission." Instead, the volunteers would live out their lives on Mars, building the first hub for colonization.

"The people going would understand that they will be there until the end of their days," said Schulze-Makuch. "But we would not be abandoning them. The planners on Earth would have to supply them."

The astronauts would regularly be provided with basic necessities from Earth, but would have to become increasingly successful at harvesting and exploiting resources available on Mars, the scientists said.

Lana Tao, the editor of the Journal of Cosmology, said that when it first published the report, the journal did not solicit volunteers in any way, and never expected to receive a single message from a would-be explorer.

"When we first began receiving them, we thought they were not serious, that it was some type of joke," she told ABCNews.com in an e-mail. "Then they kept coming, and coming and it became clear that most of these men were extremely serious."

However, Tao did say that not all of the messages were written in earnest.

"Some were funny. We even received emails from women volunteering their husbands," she said.

ABC News' Ned Potter contributed to this report.

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Outsource the prison system to them

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems strangely akin to jumping off a very tall building. You may have wanted to do it in the beginning, and you're fine while you're still in the air, but you can't possibly change your mind now.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Absolutely...not even a hard decision.

And no, my life here on Earth does not suck.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The long term effects of lower gravity might make this a suicide mission. No one knows for sure.

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Umm, hell no.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Except for the fact that plenty of people have jumped off of buildings before, and that jumping off a building only lasts for a few seconds while going to Mars could last for years, or decades.

So really it's not the same thing at all.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Wouldn't this be similar to boldly getting on a wooden bucket and being blown by the wind across the Atlantic to a new land that hadn't really been explored, might very well kill you, and is basically a one way trip?

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't see the point of going to mars unless you plan to live there long term.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

How long would it take to post on ClutchFans from Mars? I guess the first generation could fail and/or lead boring lives interrupted by moments of unimaginable danger.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Will League Pass work on Mars?

12. SunsRocketsfan

If he's a genius why does he work as a computer operator at a no name community college in Cleveland... Cleveland? Cleveland.. we talking about Cleveland

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sell the rights to a major tv network as a reality show. There's a big chunk of funding.

Most prisons are already outsourced.

14. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

My beef with this one way trip is what if I'm sick? It's going to be a hell of a painful live out there.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think I would definitely consider it. It would be a pretty amazing thing to go down in history as the first human(s) to inhabit Mars. It definitely doesn't surprise me that there are so many volunteers. People have immigrated to unknown parts of the world throughout history with no guarantee of survival, obviously this is a bit different, but it involves similar ideas.

16. SunsRocketsfan

Will mars have the 3 boob alien from Total Recall?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Leave it to durvasa to find the nut of the dilemma! Seems like they could stream the games to you. Sure, you'd get them late, but you wouldn't know the scores, anyway. ;-)- I would be all over this Mars idea if I were a lot younger.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's hands down the gayest excuse to not do something. If you want to do it, do it.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

That would guarantee my name being in the history books. Send me there with a harem and access to Rocket, Longhorns, new movies and music and I'm first in line.

My Harem would looke like this on the Red Planet.

[​IMG]

#19 percicles, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

zero gravity = zero sagging

1 person likes this.