1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One way car rentals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SmeggySmeg, Feb 18, 2012.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Looking at getting a car and driving from San Fran (or even Oakland or Sacramento if needed) to Los Angeles and San Diego and then returning it to LAX on the day we leave.

Getting a range of prices and mix stuff on one way rental drop off charges

Looked at Priceline, but no go, tried Hotwire seemed very cheap, so thinking I'll get hit a rental drop off charge by the company of choice at the end?

Anyone recommend a good or company to go with?

Help please

Smeg

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Personally I think they're all the same, but I assume Enterprise is a little more expensive because I think they try a little harder on customer service. The exception being when they ask you to return your car mid-rental; because, y'know, they freaking sold it.

3. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

so expesinve.. looked for one but it charges me 400 for drop off fee. yikes.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I believe 'National' car rental does not charge drop fees for one way

5. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Enterprise owns Alamo and National.

A one-way will always be expensive if you're going to another city. It's because you're taking away a car that the area paid for and giving it to another area.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Once in a while, major companies will waive one-way fees if they're short on cars in some regions. It's usually combo'd with a great deal, but the time and distance restrictions have sucked.

Straight up one way (no discount) fees are probably cheapest with Fox Rental. Since I'm looking into this myself, I will check out the National recommendation.

But yeah, one-way drop fees suck bad.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Fox certainly seems the cheapest

The Hotwire search is still bringing up a very cheap price but I think it is excluding a one way drop off fee, anyone else use Hotwire?

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

not sure what date you are going but National charges $260 for one day A to B SFO-LAX (not really what you want) but they charge about $180 per every day after that. Sounds high since guys are charging $30 a day but thought I would mention. They are just building in the drop fee by charging $1300 for a week A to B.

Fox might be your deal.

Btw I highly recommend jakes in del mar for dinner when you come to san diego http://www.jakesdelmar.com/ sunset table and you are the man