1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Once upon a time Beard was a 4th quarter ASSASSIN, Right?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 26, 2017.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think its the system holding him back... ;) lol

2. riko

riko Member

27 points 9 assists 5 boards so far this season and that is while he is held back?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Once upon a time......

tell me more about it.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The only thing that needs to change about harden is he needs to play less minutes. He looked tired during the end of the Memphis game. You will see a more consistent late game Harden when CP3 comes back. He will be more rested and the defense can't just focus on him.

HakeemOnlyFan and hakeem94 like this.
  5. s3ts

s3ts Member

Man, nobody here is saying "trade Harden", we're all just saying optimize the freaking offensive game.

Harden, to me, is the best player in the game today. I don't need to stare at the stats to find out how great he is. Especially this season he's really upping his defensive game.

The problem is with the coach managing the roster, rotation, and how Harden plays in the final minutes of games. Either find ways to optimize his game and adjust to the refs, constant hand-checking, and turning a blind eye, or just be prepared to lose more games. A nice suggestion that I saw here is bringing back the turn-around step-back.

I mean, I don't have any answers, but that Memphis loss was frustrating and we were close to losing to the Sixers too.

And yes, if Harden can get 2-3 more assists via a shooter on a 3pt line, in either of those games, we're basically blowing out our competition and we'd easily be 5-0 right now. For sure, we're not staying at that 3pt% all season. But we have one of the easiest first half of the season, and we really have to capitalize on wins here.

And if you're saying we need the players to keep shooting the 3s to get them adjusted and working in the offensive system we have in place, fine. Great. We can double-down on that. But it IS frustrating as a fan to see so many 3s missing the hole.

RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

same here

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

btw: thanks for being a good sport with my opening response. It's obvious you watch a ton of Rockets, and are a big fan. I agree; Harden definitely didn't give a **** in the year of Bickerstaff and Beasley.

Questions like yours in OP always lead to me wondering, how many players in the league can actually get to the rim so easily like Harden. What do you think? Has that number gone Up, Down or remained the same since Harden's first MVP year? He, WB, Lebron and now Giannis are the primary downhill players in the league still, and some have fallen off.

I think there is a lot to say that defenses were surprised by Harden in 2014-15, and he had it easier then. Plus, McHale being relentless with the 1 Out 4 Flat offense in the 4th Q helped focus the win on Harden or nothing. But I agree, he was lighter.

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. RCPM

RCPM Member

OP needs to stop watching espn.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weirdly, I don't. I can't even watch Chuck & Kenny anymore because it gets me so annoyed. What I have watched is damn near every minute of James Harden's career since he was at Artesia.

I would also suggest that maybe you haven't watched enough Houston Rockets basketball. We should know our guy's flaws WAY more than ESPN.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The best players nowadays have a major flaw or two.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

So, If we concede that this is James Harden's major flaw, what happened in 2015? (Where it was his major strength)

12. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

It's always been mind over matter for James. His two flaws right now are fairly clear...careless turnovers and the over-settling for isolation threes. Both of which he can control.

Neither have to do with him being clutch or not. He's a big-time player that's gonna come through in big moments more often than not.

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

% of FGA at 0-3 feet by Harden:

2014-15: 31% (similar to okc years)
    2015-16: 24%
    2016-17: 24%

LeBron set career highs in that metric last two years, above 43%. His career average is 35%

Westbrooks career average is 34% but only 29% last year.

Pre-Klhoe, Harden usually got to the rim on above 30% of his shots, except 2013-14 where he was 27%.

So there has been a significant drop off since he gained weight, but he's still very good at getting to the rim.

HakeemOnlyFan and RudyTBag like this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Khloe?

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

FG% at 0-3 feet by Harden

2014-15: 61.8% (worst in his career, since Rookie year)
    2015-16: 65.0%
    2016-17: 68.2% (2nd best in career, best on Rockets)
    2017-18: 87.5% :eek:

He also had most FTA/gm of his career last year.

He lost a lot of that Khloe weight. He's faster this year. He even admits to needing to get lighter, and agreed with you in camp interviews this year. I think the Bickerstaff debacle year is something that doesn't really apply anymore. The 24% of shots at rim, but at significantly higher FG% and significantly more assists, is a function of MDA's system vs McHale.

You are suffering from what @knote32 asks us to check: Do we watch Harden WAY too much, and critique him unfairly on this measure of downhill attacks.

#55 heypartner, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    RudyTBag likes this.
  16. RCPM

RCPM Member

Chuck and Kenny are not on espn.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

No, they are not. o_O

RCPM likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

So If you were going to diagnose Jimmy's greatest issue, what would it be? Are you saying the difference between now and the pre-2016 seasons is largely the system change and various league adjustments to his talent? (Probably add the rule changes to that at this point after watching these Refs)

19. Mr. Clutch

I think he is lighter but not as light as 2015.

The first 24% year was still McHale's system.

Also the turnovers have been elevated post Khloe as well. So far he is still above his pre-weight gain turnover rate.

But either way, yes he is a fantastic finisher and passer.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

He's settling for stupid 3's b/c he isn't getting calls when he drives. It's basically what happened to T-Mac.