1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Once upon a time Beard was a 4th quarter ASSASSIN, Right?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 26, 2017.

1. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

That's the reason we got CP3. To give the Rockets a additional primary ball handler so Harden can play off ball for a bit. Right now because of the offense and CP3's injury, he's asked to do it all.

RyanB and RudyTBag like this.
  2. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

One big problem that rarely gets mentioned is how Harden went from a respectable shooter to a below average one. I watch OKC games time to time, and I hate to say this but in terms of overall shooting ability Westbrook is not that far behind anymore, especially when you take into account mid-range game and clutch performance. This was not the case just a few years ago when there was a considerable gap between the two.

Because Harden is not that athletic he needs to have an edge in other areas in order to be effective, but outside the fact that he's led the league in free throw attempts via sometimes controversial methods (which the league has finally cracked down on), I just don't see a 'superstar' level talent. Obviously he's still very good, but there's a difference between being good and great. I would argue 14-15 Harden was a top 3 player, and last year despite the raw numbers he wasn't as impressive overall. This year's Harden seems even worse; but that being said, he's more aware and willing to participate on team defense and I just hope it doesn't fizzle out towards the end like it always has.

#22 brewer's goat, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    RudyTBag likes this.
  3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

He was in better shape, that's one of the two contributing reasons. The other is that he wanted to, and should have, won MVP. That was the driving goal each game, after this past year with Westbrook winning it I bet his enthusiasm has left. You don't see him late in games padding his stats, etc.

SIL

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

James Harden is still top 3

Out here acting like he is a scrub or something now jeez

JamalP. and BigMaloe like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True, but does Westbrook wilt away quite like our guy does? (Or am I just imagining that?)

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

No one said that. I love James.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Players performance go up and down every year, So far am really not likening the body language of his and the many TO that he committed throughout, definitely still early in this season and maybe he can pickup his rhythm later on, but for sure I cant wait for CP3 to come in and start orchestrating the floor.

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

What do you mean by wilt away though?

The problem with all this "killer mentality" thing that Westbrook is supposedly so known for is just another way of saying "take all the shots, good and bad". That's not the mentality James Harden has.

Harden is a playmaker more than a pure scorer. He is an all-around package on offense that influences the game in many different ways. There is a reason why, as long as we surround Harden with guys willing to work to his strengths, we can practically expect a 50+ win season. That's not even something you can say about Lebron James anymore considering how many more games Harden puts in throughout the season.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

don't blame him for that, he just plays to the coaches game plan

RyanB likes this.
  10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Shooting his best percentage in 5 years....Westbrook shot his worst percentage last season since his second season in the comp. you need to remember the teams game plan doesn't allow harden to shoot many mid range shots.

Harden is a Superstar no doubt about it

hakeem94 and BigMaloe like this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Did you watch the 4th quarter of the Playoff games last season....Westbrook was woeful in them, Harden outplayed him easily

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I laid it out pretty well in the opening post.

There is a point in far too many 4th quarters where he runs out of gas. His handle loosens, he starts falling down and you can basically predict that everything is going to fall apart, because we go as he goes. SAS game 6 was just one instance, he has done similar things consistently for a couple years, and I just don't remember James doing that in 2015. Understand that my expectations for James are very high. The only thing stopping him from being one of the all time greats is himself.

brewer's goat likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Who cares about Westbrook? I am talking about James Harden.

Westbrook has all kinds of flaws as well. Totally different conversation.

14. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

I wouldn't say that. I think James was his most explosive going to the basket last year. He's shown it in flashes this year (like 1st half last night), but he doesn't appear to be conditioned to do it all game yet.

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Harden is a gun, this is the problem with some fans....they can't enjoy something until it is gone.

Harden is one of a few players in the league that you could build nearly any game style around and be a success with it.

Also people forget that Harden usually had the game won in the third quarter, so he doesn't have to do much in the 4th quarter in most games. Most players that are high scorers in the 4th quarter are from teams that have a lot of close tight games.

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Every player has flaws

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Not Hakeem.

Houstunna, BigMaloe and RudyTBag like this.
  18. riko

riko Member

Lin was not on that team. Probaly the reason why we improved was getting rid of lin . to the fakers

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he did but he added the "H" later in life to correct that flaw

BigMaloe and RasaqBoi like this.
  20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

:D