1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On like Donkey Kong: Obama Said to Plan Moves to Shield 5 Million Immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Nov 13, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Looks like the red flag will indeed be waved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/us/obama-immigration.html?_r=0

[rquoter]WASHINGTON — President Obama will ignore angry protests from Republicans and announce as soon as next week a broad overhaul of the nation’s immigration enforcement system that will protect up to five million undocumented immigrants from the threat of deportation and provide many of them with work permits, according to administration officials who have direct knowledge of the plan.

Asserting his authority as president to enforce the nation’s laws with discretion, Mr. Obama intends to order changes that will significantly refocus the activities of the government’s 12,000 immigration agents. One key piece of the order, officials said, will allow many parents of children who are American citizens or legal residents to obtain legal work documents and no longer worry about being discovered, separated from their families and sent away.

That part of Mr. Obama’s plan alone could affect as many as 3.3 million people who have been living in the United States illegally for at least five years, according to an analysis by the Migration Policy Institute, an immigration research organization in Washington. But the White House is also considering a stricter policy that would limit the benefits to people who have lived in the country for at least 10 years, or about 2.5 million people.

Extending protections to more undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as children, and to their parents, could affect an additional one million or more if they are included in the final plan that the president announces.

Mr. Obama’s actions will also expand opportunities for immigrants who have high-tech skills, shift extra security resources to the nation’s southern border, revamp a controversial immigration enforcement program called Secure Communities, and provide clearer guidance to the agencies that enforce immigration laws about who should be a low priority for deportation, especially those with strong family ties and no serious criminal history.

A new enforcement memorandum, which will direct the actions of Border Patrol agents and judges at the Department of Homeland Security, the Justice Department and other federal law enforcement and judicial agencies, will make clear that deportations should still proceed for convicted criminals, foreigners who pose national security risks and recent border crossers, officials said.[/rquoter]

More at link.

2. Major

Major Member

I'm not a fan of this because it's not a long-term solution to anything, but I also think Republicans have zero room to complain. The House GOP several years ago asked the Senate to take the lead come up with an immigration bill. They spent months compromising and developing a bipartisan plan. The House GOP then said they would ignore it and come up with the own plans. They never came up with anything. So it's hard for me to have any sympathy with the idea that the GOP is being left out here. Immigration is a critical and time-sensitive problem - Dems tried to work with the other side on it, and the other side showed zero interest. As long as the Executive Orders are within Obama's authority, then so be it - this is the result of one party not participating in governing.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Shold have done it 3 months ago.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

How many of you liberals believe this is something that should be voted on in Congress? How many of you think this is something that should be decreed from king on high?

5. JuanValdez

I thought the GOP threat that they would be less compromising in their legislation if Obama went through with this was pretty weak. I'm sure they were not planning on being very compromising anyway. But, there should be some great fireworks now (so far as democratic politics have fireworks). Congress will send a bill Dems all vote against and Obama will veto it. GOP will say its his fault for issuing an executive action. Nothing will get done for 2 years while the GOP waits to capture all branches of government only to lose the presidential race because of a widespread perception of the GOP as the party for old, white men.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Does this mean the republican congress will pass immigration reform legislation?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So. Will this be a one time thing or an on going policy?

While people dislike the name . . . does this encourage one to have an 'anchor baby'?
    Will having children on American soil become a 'skip to the head of the line' gateway to citizenship? Or At least Legal Status?

Will this apply to all immigrants or just those with high skills?

I have my concerns. . . . .

Rocket River

8. JuanValdez

I don't think it's a good standing policy. I think it is meant to pull some punches on some of the worst side-effects of our dysfunctional immigration policy until an overhaul can be legislated. It might incent more illegal immigration in the meantime, which I don't think is good, but breaking families and displacing people is arguably worse. If nothing is ever legislated, everything changes in 2 years anyway. And, I do think it should be a good kick in the pants to Congress to actually try something. If they don't, they open themselves up to criticism as being soft on Obama.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

As major observed, Congress should have done something, the House asked the Senate to come up with a plan, which they did, then the House refused to take it up and also refused to come up with anything on their own.

Given that, something is much better than nothing and if the something has to be "decreed" because of Congressional inaction, so be it.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It will be a one time thing until the next time.

Not much else we can do. We're not going to deport 5 million people.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You asked for this.

12. tallanvor

that's completely irrational. We could kill them all, that would be something. Is it better than nothing?

Congress does not act because the electorate is split. This is not a excuse to skirt democracy.

asked for what ? no democracy?

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

What Sam said.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Once they are legal . . . .another 5 million takes their place
    then what?

2 years is a long time . . .alot of kids to be made and born in that time
    Our boarders seem pretty porous these days

While some lament jobs going over seas . .. . . importing folx to do the jobs is a similar thing . .. is it not?

Rocket River

15. GladiatoRowdy

I forgot, I'm talking to a Republican who is unable to understand context. I'll be very specific so that maybe you can grasp the concept...

Given that Republicans absolutely refused to do anything to improve the functioning of an immigration system which nearly everyone believes is broken in important ways, action from the Executive to clarify and codify how undocumented immigrants are treated in this country (the "something" to which I referred) is much better than the status quo (the "nothing" to which I referred).

No, the electorate are fully aware that the immigration system is broken (74% say the system needs either major changes or a complete rebuild). The problem is that the Republicans (specifically, House Republicans) refuse to compromise and work towards fixing the system, preferring to have an issue with which to grandstand and demagogue.

http://www.pewresearch.org/key-data-points/immigration-tip-sheet-on-u-s-public-opinion/

Issuing an executive order regarding how the executive with fulfill its duties with regards to immigration enforcement is well within the power of the President. Calling this perfectly reasonable exercise of executive power an attempt to "skirt democracy" shows that you have a poor grasp on how our system works. Congress passes laws, the executive branch enforces them. Congress has the power to spell out changes to the immigration system. They have refused to do so, resulting in the executive modifying its stance on the enforcement of the laws on the books.

For Obama to issue an executive order on the issue of immigration. The party you keep voting for continues to refuse to work towards reforming immigration law. As long as they do so and as long as the world and our country keep changing, the executive is forced to do what it can to limp around on a hobbled policy.

By continuing to elect people who refuse to compromise in any way, you have asked for Obama to take actions like this. This is the fault of the Republicans in Congress (specifically the House) and those who continue to vote for them. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but as REEKO observed, "you asked for it."

#15 GladiatoRowdy, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  16. GladiatoRowdy

Not really. Shipping jobs overseas is dramatically worse because the money goes overseas. Their salaries and benefits get shipped with the jobs, as do the economic benefits of those jobs. With immigrants, their salaries are paid here, they buy things here, they pay taxes here, they are a benefit to our economy.

The worst you could say is that illegal immigration drives down wages at the extreme low end of the pay scale (there isn't evidence that it does so in other income quintiles), but that could be corrected by having strong enforcement of employment law, which will likely only happen if combined with a more expansive guest worker or work visa program.

17. Classic

Classic Member

Social security bail out.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that executive orders are perfectly legit ways to temporary solve issues that congress has failed to do anything about.

When Republicans can come up with a plan maybe congress can lead like they are suppose to.

19. tallanvor

Yea and as previously stated, that statement is completely irrational. Something is not necessarily better than nothing. Also all polling on the issue shows that Americans want the border secured before any action is taken to deal with illegals in the country.

And the electorate is split on how to act. Again this is not an excuse to skirt democracy (why not take the time to read what i wrote before responding?).

I never spoke to whether it was legal or illegal under the constitution.

All polling shows that Americans want the border secured before addressing illegals in the country. Republicans are acting on what Americans want. Obama is not. This is why Republicans favorable ratings are going up and Obama's are going down.

If Congress is split then here is the proper course of action from Obama: Speak to the American people and convince them that your plan is best. Upon gathering enough support, the American people then apply pressure on their Congressional leaders to support Obama's plan. These Congressional leaders can either pass Obama's plan or get voted out. This is how a democracy-loving president would behave. It's not how Obama behaves.

#19 tallanvor, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  20. rudan

rudan Member

Will this be something the democrats do after they lose elections, nice way to dumb down the voters (am I right Gruber?).