1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olowokandi?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rimbaud, Sep 19, 2002.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All of this Rashard circus has overshadowed the other circus - Olowokandi. Supposedly, Wednesday was the deadline for the Clippers to make him an offer. Anyone know what happened there? I have not been able to fin anything.

I guess it was not dramatic enough since he will be a Clipper next year no matter what.

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

The Clippers didn't offer him an acceptible deal, so he's going to take the 1 year tender for $6 million and become an unrestricted FA next year.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

For once, Donald Sterling did the RIGHT thing by not giving a player a big contract.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Serioulsy, how good is Kandi? I only saw him during Rocket games. He beat the crap out of Cato, but thats nothing to brag about. Anyone see him play alot care to explain his "potential"? Does he have any, or is basically a richer man's Cato?

5. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Kandi is good because of his size...the guy is a big kid, and he's got some great moves inside. Solid rebounder and solid center. But not worth what he wants.

6. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

That's the exact same think I heard.

I would say that's a fair assesment.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kandi isn't worth the max, but not making him a decent offer will begin the exodus from the Clips of this talented young bunch. Brand was also low-balled. Odom and the rest are next.

8. bajabill

bajabill Member

Many LAC fans think we have the 2nd best 5 in the L. He was a 3-4 year project coming out of UOP. His 1st year at UOP he had never before played any organized BB. So, he just played garbage time. His 2nd year he was hurt and missed 14 games. The only full year of organized BB was his last at UOP. He finally began to blossom only after the all-star game last year. If you did not see him in the 2nd half of last year you are in for a big surprise. If he signs the q sheet, has a big year and walks to SA, well I don't see them being beaten for a long time. I think the following quote is from an ESPN article;

"By combining a respectable jump-hook and baseline move to his leaner body and recycled desire, Olowokandi became a force in the pivot last season. The results: 27 and 15 at Boston, 15 and 15 against Portland, 30 and 16 at Chicago, 26 and 17 against San Antonio. He finished with career-best averages of 11.1 and 8.9 per, and most of his best numbers came after the All-Star break; hefinished March averaging 17 and 11 for the month."

9. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

I would agree with that, mostly based on potential. Presently Divac and Mutombo are maybe a litle bit better, but both are way old. Kandi is an enigma. He did have a strong second half, but incidently it was contract year... What I really don't understand is, if they KNEW they we drafting him on potential, why on Earth are they not giving him the money now? Makes no sense at all. "We'll draft this guy who will really suck for 3-4 years and then when he becomes really good we'll let him go"???

10. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Don't follow the Clipps much do you. That's been their motto for at very least the last 15 years.

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

January - .442 FG%, 11 shots per
    February - .392, 13.5
    March (when he got 17 & 11) - .439, 17
    April - .477, 13.9

Is this really improving or just getting more shots/minutes (previously he had averaged about 5 shots per)? I am not sure.

Shouldn't the second best center shoot at a better percentage as well?

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I remember those games as well R03, he made Cato his Biatch...but who didn't? Kandi has some good games from time to time, but he's still pretty inconsistent. I saw many Clipper games on League pass(I love Walton's commentary), and Kandi would totally disappear from games at times. If he didn't start the game well, then he'd just say the heck with it and half-ass the rest of the game. His court sense is horrible (1.1 assist per), his freethrow percentage isn't good 62%, and is overall fg% is HORRIBLE for a center 43.3%. Still he has had some great games whenever he is motivated, as bajabill has shown.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hell, Severe Rockets Fan, from your description his clone is on the Rocks already. Who needs him?? ;)

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Lol, I think rockhead said it best:

[​IMG]

15. coke

coke Member

Lmao!!!!!! at the KT wallpaper:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

16. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

sorry this is off-topic, but what's happened with Brand? Did the Clips offer him an extension and he refused?

17. because24

because24 Member

He's definitly not worth the max or even close but, I expect him to have a selfish season trying to Improve his stats. He might end up hurting the team more than helping them; for he can get a huge contract from another NBA team next season.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

About a month or so ago, maybe six weeks, apparently, Sterling said he wouldn't give Elton Brand the max. I don't know if he actually made an offer. David Beezelbub Falk, Brand's agent, was of course incensed, as all his players deserve the max, or else why make a deal with the devil?

Sterling also won't give big money to Kandi. Now, that's his prerogative; it's all a matter now (as a Rockets fan) that neither of those big guys takes San Antonio's offers next year (the Spurs will have the cap space). I kinda want San Antonio to fade away, y'know? I respect'em, but hell man, the West is tough.

Note to Kandi and Brand: Think Miami Heat.

19. knucklehead3321

they need to resign brand and if kandi wants max i say go for brad miller,duncan, or j.o'neal and let kandi walk noone else is gonn give him the max especially not with all the free agents next year