1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Old Skool BBS Games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Qball, Dec 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Was on the boards here when I saw an ad that reminded me of the old BBS game Barren Realms Elite. For you young'ns out there, this was how people used to play interactive online games in the early to mid 90's.

Instead of telnet, you can now connect using a website. See http://convolution.us/flashterm1.html
    I just created an account recently and tried a few of the games out. Give it a shot....Ahhh the good ol days :cool:

Anyone else used to get on BBS's? What games did you play?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to run a WildCat board waaaay back when. BRE, L.o.R.D. (Legend of the Red Dragon) and Trade Wars were some of the more popular ones from what I recall.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

This must be what it felt like when the supernintendo generation looked at the Atari generation with their Pong and... Pong.

4. Qball

Yep, ANSI graphics. Those authors were pretty damn creative.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Evidently posters on Clutch have been playing "Post the most r****ded topic" game as of late.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Somewhere I have a page with all my old BBS logins on it, on a modem that was probably 1200 baud, though I have upgraded since then. One of my favorites was Oceania, but honestly I barely remember what was on there at this point. Mind ya, these were 1984-85 bits and bytes.

7. Qball

Lol, is this topic really that bad or are you that young (or immature)?

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Played them both. Loved 'em!

9. famicom

famicom Member

I played a bunch but the only ones I can think off the top of my head was LORD and Excalibur.. trying to recruit friends from school to join your kingdom

10. Major

Major Member

Ha - how random! I wrote that game - it was my first foray into programming back in the early 1990's while in high school.

1 person likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I ran a BBS in 1989-1992 for my company and learned a lot about ASCII art. My BBS had sensational menus and navigation system built from ASCII!! I never played games though. I remember saying to myself around 1995...screw HTML...I will never do tag-based GUIs again. I also remember someone sitting me down at the Rice computer center and showing me the first internet browser...and thinking to myself...so what, I'm so bored with this stuff!

so sad.

I can't remember the software we bought for the BBS. Can anyone name off some for my own personal nostalgia? pre-internet?

12. heypartner

too awesome!

13. heypartner

btw: who else used to post at the rockets usenet page before coming here? I did for a year until someone posted a link here.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Holy crap. Really? lol. That's cool.

15. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I use to play LoRD.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

T.A.G., PCBoard, Wildcat!, Renegade, WWIV, Oblivion/2, and ProBoard were some of the more popular ones.

17. heypartner

After seeing nothing familiar in your list, and ironically wrt to the thread, I forgot that I now have google at my fingertips and can search wikipedia for the answer.

SuperBBS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BBS_software#MS-DOS_and_compatible

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

BRE...LORD... man that was the stuff back then. Good memories. I also used to play this game where you were like a gladiator and fought other players. Anyone know the name?

19. Major

Major Member

I have to say I'm really surprised that the game still exists - it almost seems kind of ridiculous! In the late 1990's, I basically recreated the concept on the internet and then sold BRE for peanuts to the guy who wrote Global War because I had lost interest and thought it was a dying market. I hadn't heard the name or thought about the BBS games in many years!

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Was it called The Pit?