1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OKC choosing their team name

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by white lightning, Jul 25, 2008.

1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

...not a winner in the bunch...

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The NBA has filed for trademark rights to six nicknames for the league's new Oklahoma City franchise: Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind.
    An attorney for the league made the filing Monday with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Marshal is usually spelled with one l. It's not clear why the league used a variant spelling.

The filing is listed on the patent office's Web site.

The NBA and the team have refused to discuss possible new names for the team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics ahead of an official announcement, which has not yet been scheduled.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/07/25/okc.names.ap/index.html

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Oklahoma Energy? That sounds like a new power company, like Direct Energy, Reliant Energy, etc. Oklahoma Wind sounds like a renewable energy company.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

LOL @ Oklahoma Energy and Oklahoma Wind

Their logo could be a giant Wind Generator and they could hire Al Gore as a spokesman.

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

thunder for sure.

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Three of those sound like a re-made band like "Energy, Wind and Thunder" instead of "Earth, Wind & Fire".

Of any of those Bison and Marshalls are best.

Though I still think the team would sound better as the OKlahoma _____, in stead of the Oklahoma City ________.

Though th Uni of Okl would scream bloody murder if they tried that...

6. hubie_30

hubie_30 Member

in my opinion all those names suck

7. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Ugh what's with these teams choosing non-plural names. Out of those only the Barons sound decent.

8. Emelim03

Emelim03 Member

I like the Thunder and all the marketing that can go with it...

Or I like the Marshalls.... and The Ford Center could be called the OK(C) Corral

Those are the two with the most potential...

9. MexAmercnMoose

lol, i just pictured an entire team of Baron Davis's shooting threes anytime possible

10. tigereye

tigereye Member

According to the The Sporting News, KOCO-TV in Oklahoma City is reporting the new team name will be the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Websites are already registered with the NBA. But nothing on TESS yet....stay tuned

11. Landlord Landry

hahahaha.

+1

12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Thunder sounds like an Arena League or WNBA team.

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Don't even bother asking my opinion since I'm an Oklahoman (or Okie for those who likes stereotypes)......

....cause I think any name we get will probably be gay.....

14. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Oklahoma City Twisters is what it should be.

[​IMG] for their logo

15. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/07/21/okc.thunder.ap/index.html

The "Thunder," formerly the Seattle SuperSonics, are in the middle of a full-scale move from the Northwest to Oklahoma. According to KOCO.com, the NBA's Internet division -- through CSC Corporate Domains -- secured the domain names of "okcthunderbasketball.com" and "okcthunderbasketball.net" on July 10.

The "Thunder" were officially granted permission to leave Seattle last month, the result of an out-of-court settlement between Sonics majority owner Clay Bennett and the city of Seattle. In return, Seattle gets to retain the "Sonics" name, logo and team colors (green and gold) and could receive up to $45 million in the next several years, as penalty for Bennett breaking the lease agreement with KeyArena, the Sonics' home for nearly two decades.

The city of Seattle originally wanted to keep the Sonics at KeyArena for two more years. The Sonics' season-ticket holding base even filed a class-action lawsuit against Bennett and the other team owners at one point.

16. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I'm not a big fan of non-plural names, but nba fans don't make fun of the Orlando or Miami team names anymore.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OKC Dustbowlers
    OKC Panhandlers
    OKC Indian Removers

Eh, that's all I got.

18. csux

csux Rookie

LoL might as well call it OKC natual resources, man sounded like a stock name.

19. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Barons isn't bad. Bison though? Reminds me of the "tatanka" scene in Dances With Wolves.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMOQORiWn80&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMOQORiWn80&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. Breaker

Breaker Member

HAHAHAHA. Lame *** names. Who the heck is picking these crap.

The only one I would pick, out of that horid group of names, is Marshalls. Even though it always remind, and probably most of everyone else, of that one movie.