1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Okay, that's it, you're all...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bencollinsmavs, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choujie

choujie Member

Try to compare Dirk's rookie year and Yao's rookie year and you might get a better idea when you write an opinion next time.

2. bencollinsmavs

I think it's a different situation. Nellie wanted Dirk to be a star in 4 years. He was extremely patient... like, Nugget patient. Rudy wants Yao to be a star quicker, but I can see where you're coming from..

3. choujie

choujie Member

Again, you might want to do some research. The entire Rockets organization tried to bring Yao slowly, but Yao forced himself to the starting lineup by his good play(sorry to say at your team's expense). The reason he is being loved by all Rocekt's fans is he has meet or beat everybody's expectation so far. I mean reasonable expectation, not something like dominating Shaq right now.

#43 choujie, Jan 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2003
  4. verse

verse Contributing Member

no offense here, ben, but jeez is cuban's personality having a direct affect on maverick fans or what?! :eek:

dude, you have, hands down of of the top foreign, nah screw that, top NBA players on your squad. you have a problem because the mavs don't have yao ming as well? learn to accept victory, ben.

you're one of the upper echelon teams in the league. we'll be joining you soon...very soon. so learn to appreciate the race....don't hate on the other runners!!!

as for the lakers - i don't hate them at all. that said, i think people dislike the lakers because of the arrogance, ill-informed, bandwagon fans that follow them. that and the arrogant posturing kobe, shaq, and phil do on a regular basis. remember - no one really hated the lakers of the 80s. why? because there was a certain "class" that pervaded that team. these lakers lack that, so people are put off by them.

be careful. you're quickly beginning to resemble those lakers and lakers' fans...

5. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

What a lot of people don't understand is that Ben said all those things because thats what Maverick fans wanted to hear. Deep down inside, he knows Yao is worthy of the All Star team this year. He just won't admit it because of his bias for the Mavs and his love for Shawn Bradley.

I remember when Jordan was playing for the Bulls, I hated his guts. But I never disagreed with him being an outstanding player. I did disagree that he was the greatest at the time :D (everyone knows Hakeem was the geatest back then).

6. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

MAVS FANS SUCK BIG TIME!!!!!!!!

I am a Rockets fan, and my roommate is a Mavs fan. I finally realized how stupid, chilish, immature, inconsiderate, dumb, hateful the Mavs fans are when he told me "you suck, Jamal!"

Everyone, let's all realize the Mavs fans are the most brutal and beastial creatures on Earth!!!

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Ben,
    I don't have a problem with you expressing opinions. We are all entitled to an opinion. My problem is with your journalistic style. It's pathetic. Your thought development is immature, your reasoning is illogical, your humor is bland, and your objectivity is completely absent. If you are posting an article, be it on the web or elsewhere, it must be judged on the merits of its quality. You conveniently attempt to use your age as an excuse to mask deficiencies in your performance. I find this unacceptable. When you submit an article for public consumption, you should expect criticism. I challenge you to construct arguments that reflect quality research and critical thinking -- not hyperbole and outlandish, emotional opinions. I further challenge you to eliminate the use of tired cliches and platitudes. You are a long way from being considered even an average writer. A *very* long way.

Keep trying, rookie.

8. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

He's just a spotlight needing, egotistical sports fan from New England. I deal with them all the time. They'll never admit when they are blatantly wrong.

9. heech

heech Contributing Member

There are many 'interpretations' of events in your posts that I disagree with strongly... but you know what they say about opinions and *. You're certainly entitled to one of each!

But this post is simply factually incorrect. Rudy made it clear in every way possible that he wanted to bring Yao along slowly. Yao's camp was of the firm belief that he wouldn't play more than 20 minutes a game his entire rookie season, with the ultimate goal of starting near the end of the season.

But how, exactly, could Rudy justify benching Yao any further after he scores 30 off the bench against the Mavs? At that point, for the good of the franchise and not for the purposes of "making Yao a super-star" (as if that's possible), Yao received the playing-time he deserved.

10. bencollinsmavs

I didn't say they wanted to bring Yao Ming to start immediately. That situation fell into their lap when he started clearly outplaying Cato. Dirk played on a terrible team when he came in and had no real desire to play harder if they're not going anywhere. Yao, to start, has a great place to play, so he had motivation to play for something, and he motivated himself to help playoff hopes.

11. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

You have got to be kidding me. Yao was simply more polished coming in than Dirk was.

12. bencollinsmavs

You live near a Red Sox fan, don't you? For example, some still think Dustin Hermanson was a good pickup. Ughhh...

13. bencollinsmavs

Ya, and he was more developed that Dirk physically. He was put in a better position in China, as well, and probably had better coaching.

14. bencollinsmavs

I didn't say they wanted to bring Yao Ming to start immediately. That situation fell into their lap when he started clearly outplaying Cato. Dirk played on a terrible team when he came in and had no real desire to play harder if they're not going anywhere. Yao, to start, has a great place to play, so he had motivation to play for something, and he motivated himself to help playoff hopes.

15. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

judging by your comments on this thread here, you dont hate yao rite? i think if you wrote another article taking back that crap you said, people would forgive you.

im sorry that some d!cks did that to you, but that's life. take the good with the bad.

good luck with your journalism career...im not much older then you and thats what i hope to be doing in the future as well.

16. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

All I do is whisper 1918.

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

so, ben, is it safe to say you know that yao's proverbial ceiling is higher than dirks?

and if he reaches it, does this mean you'll change your username and become a rocket's fan?

18. choujie

choujie Member

Dirk didn't have desire to play harder? LOL. If that's the case, he wouldn't have survived his first year in NBA. I understand you are only 14 or 15 year old, but if you want to be successful as a columnist, you better make statements based on facts, not just on what you think it has to be. Also, be brave enough to admit when you are wrong doesn't hurt.

19. bencollinsmavs

Lol, it'll take a whole lot to resemble a Lakers fan. Cuban's personality does rub off, but I doubt he'd take this type of stance on this.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Are you jealous of the Rockets? Would you like Yao on your team?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.