1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Okay, I'll say it...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 11, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rockets and Texans in the same paragraph

YAWN

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, this is true. But, we haven't really had a team that could be considered a strong contender in all that time. The Francis teams were never all that good. The Yao/McGrady teams never won more than 55 games and usually flamed out in the playoffs. The 2014-15 team was probably the most overachieving team in Rockets history and was competitive against the Warriors in the conference finals, but was not considered to be a true contender by many. So, at this point in the season, this team does look to have the best chance to win a championship over all those previous Rockets team.

However, until the Rockets prove something in the playoffs, then I still see the Warriors and the Cavs as much stronger favorites at this point. But, at least we are in the hunt.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Im just gonna leave this here....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigMaloe likes this.
  4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Im a believer, but want to see how the momentum is in March/April. I dont doubt you though...

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought the '08-'09 Rockets had a better shot before getting cut down by injuries. Also the '14-'15 Rockets when Howard was still contributing. There's a lot of luck involved in these things. And, this team could end up doing better than those. But, I'm worried the defense isn't good enough for the playoffs, and then we have a lot of injury risk depending on a number of guys with shaky history.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think this is the most reasonable assessment.

7. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

[​IMG]

8. Garner

Garner Member

... wwe were all thinking it...

9. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Defense has been pretty good when needed so far this season. Might not be exactly what we as fans would prescribe, but if they can expend less energy over the course of games on defense and "get serious" and get the stops they need to get at critical junctures, then I can live with that.

This system is predicated on letting the offense be the primary defense. Let's just hope their 3's fall in the playoffs.

10. Know Your Role

On paper the 08-08 team was slightly deeper but they never reached their potential losing Tmac, Mutumbo, and Yao. My opinion at least, I hold the 08-09 team in very high regard.

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Only health can hold us back

12. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I do too. One can consider it a "freak accident" for both Yao and Mutombo to go down in the same playoffs. The highly improbable happened.

13. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I can guarantee you that no team will be as cocky as they have been in the past come playoff time. Including the Warriors. Other teams will still have to be able to defend the Rockets, and I don't see how they'll be able to do that. They are getting better & better. What's scary (for other teams) is Harden isn't even giving his all right now.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Speaking of the '09 season.... why does Golden State never experience significant injuries on their team? It seems like they don't face the adversity that other sports teams face.

That's the only thing that makes me suspicious about jinxes or black magic.

hakeem94 and rocketsfan611 like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

First season with a new coach and a new system, plus two new main cogs? And still only one star player? If we make a deep playoff run and show that we're ready to go toe-to-toe with the big boys now, I'll be happy. Anything else is gravy.

NEXT season, though, after Morey and Les go all-in this summer and open the vault to bring in Paul George? I'm ready to buy my finals tickets NOW.

16. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

Did any of those teams have 4 of the top 15 players in the world on their roster at once? :p

17. Buck Turgidson

Our upmost ceiling is through the roof.

Easy likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

GSW lost depth, their D got a tad worse, O stays same or tad better, star power increased, newly assembled team.

Cavs going to be tough with shooters, I think Lebron going to be an Allstar till he is 37.

19. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

See y'all in Cleveland.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

[​IMG]

BigMaloe likes this.