1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Offseason] Carlos Beltran Thread [1-3-05]

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Christopher

Christopher Member

Geez....thats incredible.

You'd think that the longer the bidding process is open to ALL teams, the more money a player is going to earn.

In this case one of the biggest bidders has been locked out of the process.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If he said from the start that money mattered the most, then I would have no problems with him.

He said he wanted to play for a winner and that thats the most important thing. He also listed other things, none of which centered around money.

The NY contract and the Houston contract are basically equal. Maybe he saves a few more bucks by going to NY. When you are talking about a 9 digit salary, thats weak. The Astros were nothing more than a tool.

Ive lost my respect for him.

3. Nero

Nero Member

Hey, you know what? Jason Varitek is not the commodity that Beltran was. Apples and oranges.

And, after seeing more details of what went down, Boras is 'claiming' that they were fine with the Astros' 108 mil offer, except they wanted a 'full' no-trade clause, instead of a 'limited' no-trade clause.. and that THAT is what caused them to go with the Mets. I assume this came from boras himself, in which case it's more lies. But if it was actually true that we lost this deal from quibbling over a no-trade clause, then Uncle Drayton is even less worthy of owning this team than I thought before.

Drama queen? Ok, Manny. How many games do YOU think we'll win this coming year?

60 is my number. Sure, I would love to be wrong. But we are going to have an old, slow, defenseless, punchless, and pitchless team to throw out there. 60 wins is pretty optimistic.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No way the "no-trade" clause was the reason.

Thats such an easy thing to "fix".

Boras is doing damage control. He wants to paint himself and his client as the good guys.

I will kick his ass.

5. catch&shoot

catch&shoot Member

Beltran's a greedy pig, just like the rest of them. Plays for money. F**k him, baseball sucks anyway.:D

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Bottom line is that if Carlos really wanted to stay in Houston, a no trade clause could have been dealt with afterwards...akll we had to do is tell MBL that we reached a deal....and we could have hammered out the details for the next week or so.

That being said, Drayton, Purpura and the rest of the Astros brass should absolutely walk away from baseball. I am nauseous when I hear how "they gave it their best shot" or "they offered all they could without jurting the franchise". While statements like those may in fact be true, YOU DO NOT GO INTO A SITUATION LIKE THAT WITHOUT A PLAN B. I understand the ecnomics of the offer and the long term effects of offering 100, 105, 120 or whatever. The issue here is that knowing full well that Carlos was going to get at least one other offer of over 100 million, we should have either been prepared to pay over market value OR, decided a month ago that we couldn't afford him. Now, we are stuck with one of the worst opening day lineups in the major leagues. I can't see Clemens coming back...and frankly , for his sake, I hope he doesn't bother. Who the hell in their right mind would want to pitch for a team that has Morgan Ensberg as their potential cleanup hitter?

This wasn't just a mistake...it was an absolute atrocity on the part of our front office.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

That's what you have to do if there are no other cars available and you need get to work...when we decided to make Beltran not only the focal point , but the ONLY point of our offseason, we should have been prepared to pay 75,000 for the 40,000 car.

Otherwise, take the bus from day 1

8. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

yes sir!:rolleyes:

#1148 isoman2kx, Jan 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  9. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

damn manny, you sox fans got nothing better to do than criticize people for quoting?

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

When it comes to physical tools, you are probably right. But I disagree strongly when it comes to leadership and intangibles. You do realize that Curt Schilling said, along with many others, that Varitek is the reason why the Red Sox won it all. No one prepares with his pitchers like he does and he arguably was the catalyst for them turning their season around when he threw his mitt into A-Fraud's mug. He must have been a good commodity to get an annual contract that was over $10M per year.

Er, Varitek wanted a no-trade clause to, did you not know that? But the difference between him and Beltran is that Varitek really wanted to STAY with Boston while Beltran's talk about staying in Houston was lip service.

Yea, drama queen. Re-read your post that I am talking about SLOWLY and from the view of a non-Astros fan. Look, if you think that your team is going to only win 60 games, that means the Stros are going to be worse than the Brewers, the Pirates, the Reds, the Diamondbacks, the Nationals (Expos), etc. I don't see that being the case. What I do see is overreaction.

Look it sucks that this happened. But a couple of things:

1) Beltran is the one to really blame for this - not Bor-ass (although he didn't help) or Drayton McLane or anyone else

2) The Astros have a good enough organization that dropping to 60 wins is NOT going to happen. They will do enough things to make sure they stay competitive. Hell, even if they don't do anything, they still have enough talent to win, I think, 75 games or so.

3) The Mets will NOT make the playoffs.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I agree. :D

12. Manny Ramirez

Roll your eyes all you want, but what you are doing wastes bandwidth. If you can't figure that out or want to take that personally, then you really aren't worth the time discussing things with.

Yes, it is something I really enjoy doing.:rolleyes:

If you have happened to read some of the threads in the hangout, you will notice that this thread is not the first time that iso quoted a long post to say something like "I agree!". RocketsPimp got onto him as well but I guess he didn't realize it since Pimp did it in a subtle way.

And I really don't understand the fact that I am a Red Sox fan has anything to do with this thread. I posted in this thread, mainly, to give my perspective on Bor-ass and to say that y'all got screwed by Beltran. If you think that I was posting to rub it in, then I am sorry that you see it like that because that is not the case.

13. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

F U BELTRAN
    PINCHE PUTO MARICON CHINGADO.

I hope he never ever plays as well as this past fluke season.

14. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

ahahahaha **** you.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Is there anyone else here who can't even comprehend 20 million dollars?

16. Manny Ramirez

I should have never proclaimed that ima was one of the best posters here!:D

17. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

*delete*

#1157 isoman2kx, Jan 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  18. GR8BFETT

GR8BFETT Member

management gambled with the wrong agent, period.
    Now, Plan B for Bullship. Beltran was A,B, and C.
    They knew the risk and were not prepared for the possibility of not getting Beltran. NOW WHAT!
    "Sorry, we ran out of time" Well, "My dog ate my homework"
    This was their entire off season move.

19. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

No one should be mad at Boras, be mad at Beltran, that sack. Boras did his job, that is what Beltran told him to do. Beltran is a b****.

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

so the Mets' deal is 119/7 + 11 signing bonus?