1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] White Sox @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 20, 2019.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

False alarm, game over.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I didn’t get to see it but my buddy Bailey’s wife sent me a video of my buddy throwing a bottle of JW through a glass window screaming that the umpire was a **** sucker... so I figured.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Now that’s a fan.

HTM, Houstunna, CheezeyBoy22 and 2 others like this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

Whatever. Can't win em all. Wanted a sweep so badly, but I'll take a series win (tomorrow). First time the White Sox beat us since September 2017 (when we still didn't have a ring). Good luck to Corbin tomorrow!

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

He is insane... loves fire and some how ended up with a spouse that doesn’t get pissed when he breaks things, blows things up or builds an “alligator sanctuary” in his 80 year old parents back yard.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

When is the last time we lost by so many runs?

7. conquistador#11

I hate 4 game series.
    MMP was so hyped after Marisnick makes the catch and relay throw to correa for the out. Oh well. can't win them all.
    Ump must have had sweat dripping into his eyes tonight.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Do you think what I want is unreasonable? Our star second baseman and center fielder back and up and coming Star third baseman to reach mid season form and add one more starting arm? I don’t think that is out there or greedy. Overall it is just another starting arm that I think we will need come October assuming health in all other areas. Miley peacock and whoever doesn’t match up with Kluber, Bauer and carrasco. Or beuhler, Kershaw and that new kid. Or sale and price and whoever else the red Sox May dig up. This time last year we had jv. A better Cole, CFM and Dallas. Dallas and Miley at this point are a wash. CFM hasn’t been replaced.

If I am wrong I am wrong. Admittedly running a baseball team is FAR from my expertise.

9. SemisolidSnake

This was just one of those nights that happens. No worries.

Well, except for all the DPs. I checked the other night, and the Astros are once again towards the top of the majors in GIDP. That was one of the absolute worst parts of last year.

Like, I don't know how you really deal with it short of taking very specific measures like sac bunts, and bunting's out of vogue and still not easy. At the same time, I don't know how a team just tends to gravitate towards hitting into so many. There's something there, but I really don't have an explanation or solution for it.

Boy, oh boy, though, does it suck when we've got a guy at third, one out, the guy at the plate walks, and this wave of apprehensive horror sweeps over you instead of being glad we've got another baserunner.

Marteen likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

The Astros are #1 in OBP and nearly last in strikeouts. Lots of baserunners and consistently putting the ball in play is going to result in lots of GIDP.

Last year, along with Houston, Boston, Oakland, and Milwaukee were all top 5 in GIDP - all good offenses. It's not necessarily a bad sign.

marks0223, mikol13, SWTsig and 2 others like this.
  11. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Kansas City beat us 12-2 a couple weeks ago at MMP. That loss along with Boston Game 3 and yesterday’s White Sox loss are the only L’s In I think our last 18.

12. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Why is this team so opposed to the sac bunt? That Marisnick triple play was completely unavoidable. If he moves those runners over, we’re looking at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and Reddick at the plate with Bregman to follow.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tough giving up a walk after throwing 4 strikes (one called) to start the first AB. Next one ended up a FC at home, but strike 3 was called a ball. Third batter was 3 swinging strikes and done. James was noticeably pissed.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros lost by 5. What percentage of plays end up as triple plays?

The Beard likes this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d like to be friends with this person.

Marteen and Nook like this.
  16. Major

Major Member

If your baseball strategy is "try to avoid the triple play", your team is doing something wrong.

bobrek likes this.
  17. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Looks like the Astros are trying to lose tonight: "Martin seeks series split for Astros"
    [​IMG]

Marteen and desihooper like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

More media disrespect. When will it ever end?

conquistador#11 and Roc Paint like this.
  19. AstrosRockets1818

We win tonight and take 3 of 4.

Did yall know if yall take 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 from every series it ends up being really good?

20. SemisolidSnake

You're exactly right. And they're slightly better than last year at not hitting into them. In fact, I was actually surprised they were up there this year considering I'd seen them hit into very few so far.

Last year, there were just a LOT of game-killing double plays. Times when they needed to put together a run somehow to take the lead or get back in a game. Again, I'm not really sure what you can do about it. If you're a good enough hitter, with men on first and third, I guess you can try to the loft the ball for a sac fly. I don't really expect that sort of batting nuance from guys facing MLB pitchers.

Traditionally, sac bunts and steals were your specific, coach-called tactics to try to start the manufacture of a run and avoid the double play. Bunts and steals aren't easy, especially with today's pitching, but it's a little unnerving to me how little we see them any more. Especially, with shifts nowadays, I'd think the bunt might have a chance to come back a bit. If you get good enough to bunt against the shift, you've pretty much got a single. And shifts also make traditionally good hits such as right up the center into...double plays.

I'm just kind of stream-of-consciousness writing here, because I really don't know what you do about this sort of problem, especially in today's age where there's less small ball. I do feel like there's still a place in today's baseball for a good base stealer. Someone like Tony Kemp's who's always kind of on the edge of being in the lineup could really help cement himself by sharpening that skill. Go work with Baggie. He's around, and he's quite open about how his 30-30 seasons are his most prized accomplishments while playing.

Major likes this.