1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2010.

1. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

You could say the exact same thing for the rest of the season but reverse. Minus a "few plays going differently" (missed FGs, fumbles at key times, not being able to punch it in at the end of games), we are talking about an even better record and probably playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You know, the "a few plays the other way" thing can go the other way. The Texans could have won another five games, if you think about it. If you told me that the Texans would lose their starting guards, Steve Slaton and that Dunta would have his worst season, I would have happily taken a 9-7 season.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Lol, a few plays the other way and we'd be sitting at 13 wins with a first round bye.

Dumb statement.

4. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Kris Brown tried to kill himself after yesterdays game. Unfortunetly he couldn't kick the chair out from under himself. Better luck next time Kris! :eek:

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The first two rounds should be cornerback runningback in any order. Beyond that, if they can make picks based on overall talent rather than need that should be the sign of a team that will make winning last over the long haul.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Lol, I got that text from my brother after I started the Kris Brown needs to go thread.... :grin:

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I disagree. I saw enough from Foster, that with a good work ethic, I'm fine with him and a (hopefully) healthy Slaton. We do need a change of pace-type back, be it in the fourth or fifth round, or through free agency. I've said it in another thread, and I don't know if other people have seen it, but Jackie Battle is a restricted free agent this off-season. Was put on IR with like two weeks to go because he needed surgery. Doubt the Chiefs bring them back. From what little I saw of him this season (and pre-season), and that was a little - the Chiefs hardly played him, I think he would be a perfect fit for our system. Plus, he's a Houston kid! I'll just say this number...Kansas City has not recently had a great history of evaluating talent....

In the first round, I think, unless Berry, Mays, Thomas, or an absolutely elite-tier corner prospect are available, you immediately go for the interior line. I like the game of Terrance Cody. I'm sure my opinion will change, but as of today, I would take him over most in the first round.

In the second round, I think you go with the best corner available, hoping you strike gold. I say this, because in my scheme, I'm also re-signing Dunta, and moving him to Safety opposite Pollard. Drafting a corner in the second round gives some good competition to Reeves and Quinn.

Third round, you go in looking for the best all-around talent, possibly looking hard at offensive line depth.

Fourth round, same type of deal, best all-around talent, maybe looking for more interior defensive line help.

Fifth through seventh, best all-around talent, hopefully finding a good, solid kicker in one of the last two rounds.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's just stupid. Every team can say that about nearly every game. The fact is the Texans won the game and won more than they lost for the first time.

9. msn

msn Member

No kidding. All season long most of us have argued that "you are what your record says you are," and that's spot-on.

Kudos to the Texans -- for the first time ever, they are winners -- by the very definition of the word. They have won more than they lost.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think the draft should go secondary, defensive tackle, offensive line and running back. I think with Foster's emergence and Slaton coming back, there is enough talent moving forward without investing a top pick. Obviously, you go with best player available at a need position. I'm curious what their free agency strategy will be. I think another veteran in the secondary wouldn't hurt, either. We've seen some defenses like New Orleans and Denver being really turned around by guys like Sharper and Dawkins.

11. RocketMania1991

Why are people set on Arian Foster?

Foster has had one good game, I'm not sure how you can be so set on him.

When Moats had a decent game against the Bills earlier this season people were declaring him our legit starting running back and we saw how that ended.

But we've seen what happens when defenses get them on video and when they can better game plan for them.

Not to mention Foster is already 24 I believe.
    Players don't suddenly become great at that age without him drawing interest from anyone else.
    There's a reason he cam off the practice squad.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Foster has earned at least a chance to compete and be given a spot on the roster that would be his to lose in training camp. You look at the Patiots last week and they were without their two best lineman and were basically daring us to run while trying to eliminate the pass. That helped Foster get some big gains...but he and the offensive line did manhandle them in the 4th, so they get credit for that.

I think you come in with Slaton, Foster, Moats, and a mid-round draft pick or free agent and have them all compete. That is, unless a stud falls in our lap in the 2nd or 3rd round.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

NONONONONONONONO

Portis stinks. Shaun Alexander type falloff started sometime LASt season

14. msn

msn Member

I thought we just drafted Foster and this was his first year?

15. RocketMania1991

He was an undrafted free agent when we signed him to the Practice Squad.

He seems decent, but I don't think he is much of an upgrade from Moats or Brown.

This team needs a legitimate threat at running back. I'd be more than happy if Slaton could come back and be productive for us.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Undrafted, and he will be 24 next season. He was draft eligible though. And to prove his point wrong. RYAN GRANT

17. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Texan fans should learn how to spell. ;)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F6WZ6kgorYE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F6WZ6kgorYE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

18. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

LOL stupid post

1 person likes this.
  19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's had 2 good games. Didn't you watch the MIA game?

I'll agree that you can't judge a RB by a couple of games but you can't deny that there is some really good upside to this kid.

Saying that though, I still expect the org to look at other options.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

LOL, I noticed that while watching the game.