1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Brown is hoping the line struggles and the Texans come crawling back to him. If that doesn't happen, he will either A. come in as soon as he realizes that the Texans can survive without him or B. waiting til week 9 when service time vest for Veterans.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He's going to be hated by his teammates and the fan base by then.

He's guaranteed his salary for this year. Come on bro. Show up to work.

deb4rockets and Bobbythegreat like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Probably hated by the fans but not his teammates.

Players always take each other's sides especially when it comes to money.

Nimo likes this.
  4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

F Kennard McGuire. This is the 2nd time he's taken one of my favorite Texans and made him look like a douche to the fanbase.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

He moved to LA to be with his wife. I'm sure he's probably thinking about the possibility of signing with a team there

6. tmacfor35

Once you start losing games due to T play.... you won't have many friends left on the team.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

And my job has the freedom to fire me with no pay starting that day... I have to deal with it. Play better, be a better employee, etc. Goodness, it's still a JOB.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Some will take it out on the team and not him. If you want to give the team the best chance to win, you find a way to put the best players on the field. Playing Kendall Lamm when you can have Duane Brown is not doing what's best for the team.

It really can go both ways. Remember when the seahawks weren't the same when Kam sat out for two regular season games? No one had a problem with him rejoining the team after that.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Because no good employees have ever lost their job :rolleyes:

You can walk out of your job today and go play for the competition. Football players can't do that so it's not an apples to apples comparison here. The team has to cut them or trade them or just keep them hostage on the roster.

red5rocket and Mr. Clutch like this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If you think what Duane Brown is doing is wrong, call 911.

11. csj

csj Member

How terrible it would be to be held "hostage" for 10+ million a year. How can I get that kind of mistreatment?

Sorry, but this is BS on so many levels. A player under contract has a team to play for; if they don't want him on the roster, he is not frozen out of the league, he is free to play "for the competition". If Duane Brown wanted to play for "the competition" he shouldn't have signed a 6 year deal to not do so. People act like Brown is the victim here, he's not. He is among the very most privileged, and least deserving, of the ultra-wealthy in the world today and now he's whining for a bigger piece and not honoring the commitment he made.

Many people cannot walk out of their jobs and work for the competition, they are subject to no-compete clauses. Perhaps not for work in which you are accustomed, but it's not at all uncommon for skilled workers, many of which have invested far more to earn far less and do without the incredible benefits afforded pro athletes for playing a game.

The tears shed for a multimillionaire athlete complaining after receiving 40+ million in guaranteed income already is quite remarkable.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He is not getting $9.5 million a year from another team at 33.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

maybe he'll get it for 2 years. He'll take the discount to play in LA and be close to his wife.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Duane Brown can go play for the CFL if he wants.....that's the competition.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Everybody has a price. Duane Brown is obviously in a higher tax bracket than you are. Mo Money Mo Problems.

Really? How is he free to play for the competition? How can he just walk into the Seahawks facility and hand in his resume. How? The team has to cut him first. And they haven't. That should tell you something. If what he is doing was so wrong, he would have been cut before training camp. This is the NFL. This is what they do. He's not the first. He won't be the last. I'm not making him out to be the victim. I don't feel sorry for him. I'm not sad when I think about him. I'm just not angry either. He's not a victim and he's not a villain. This is negotiation. The only "victims" (I know, 3rd world problems) here are the ticket-buying fans. They should get better quality players on the field.

If you say the player should play for the contract he signed for; would you also say the team should keep the player for the duration of the contract? Serious question. If the team can cut the player with no consequences after the guaranteed money is up (breaking the contract), why can't the player do the same? The only thing the player can do outside of retiring is to hold out. It sucks but this is how the NFL has been for a while. Teams owners (who billionaires, not just multi millionaires) are going to be cheap, and players are going to hold out.

red5rocket likes this.
  16. csj

csj Member

Bobbythegreat and deb4rockets like this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's probably true. They can't give in now though, or those same teammates will pull this next year.

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

csj is right when saying, "The choice a player has is when he negotiates a contract, just like the rest of us (who are privileged enough to receive them in the first place). Crying when you are unhappy four years later is just entitlement. Players are among the most privileged people on earth, they are not the victims of evil owners."

I couldn't agree more!

19. tmacfor35

http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/31/former-agent-joel-corry-weighs-in-on-duane-browns-holdout/

"The ex-agent then relayed a story about one of his old clients, wideout Keenan McCardell. The wide receiver held out from Tampa Bay in 2004 and it went into the season. Locker room support for the respected veteran faded quickly when his presence was missed and the team started losing on the field because of his absence. Corry believes that could be an issue in Houston if Brown’s holdout does extend into the regular season."

Not when it affects Wins and losses.

Deandre Hopkins

On why he chose not to hold out after doing so (briefly) last year:

"Because I know I have a great team," Hopkins said when asked why. "My teammates, those guys count on me to come out here and make this team better. Guys like Lamar Miller, like J.J. Watt that want to win a championship. And I know, for them to be able to do that, I have to be able to come out here and help those guys do it. So you know, the other 52 players on the team, they depend on me. That's why I'm here."

One of the leaders of the team with a nice little subtle shot at Brown. Whether it was meant or not it hit its mark.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

But what is it that Brown wants...just the final year of his contract guaranteed? I mean, seems like he's risking quite a bit just to make that happen.