1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Has Savage ever done anything to make people think he should be thought of more highly than he is?

red5rocket likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The opposite can be said towards ricky which most Texans fans believe is at fault, yet you still keep pushing the billy narrative.

3. donkeypunch

TBH, hes never really been given a full shot. So, no he hasnt, but he has shown glimpses of being at least decent to good.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So why is he's annoited the starting job? I mean I'm confused here. If he doesn't like him and the organization doesn't believe in him why is here? Not only that both Smith and O'Brien have been singing he's the starter when they first got questioned.
    Why not start Weeden then?

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Maybe not us but the coaching staff seen exactly what he could and couldn't bring. If he was in camp handling his business, he would've been in the mix when Hoyer and Mallett were battling for the number 1 spot. If he showed them that type of potential, they wouldn't have went after Brock.

Remember we are on the outside looking in. Therefore, we don't ever see exactly what they see.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well we'll see.

Remember he gives one guy the starting job and pulls him soon after.

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

This! Except I think he's been thought of too highly

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

His play against Jacksonville. Too bad he followed it up with a stinker.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but looking sort of okay against the Jags means nothing at all really. Sure Savage had 260 yards but the week before Brian Hoyer had over 300 yards against the Jags and Savage still never got into the end zone.

The next game the Texans NEVER got into the end zone with Savage playing but the defense stepped up and the team won with only 12 points. So far, that's really all we have to go on and it's not impressive at all. In fact, I'm not sure if the Texans even get past the Raiders in the first round of the playoffs if not for Savage being out due to his struggles getting into the end zone. Even without Carr the Raiders still scored 14 and it's not a given that the Texans could have scored that much with Savage.

Htownballer38 and red5rocket like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...ans-OTAs/e5821535-52e6-4bf5-8507-def847f08f95

From patdstat twitter:

*Deshaun Watson is progressing with the arrow pointing up. Every practice he has come out and gotten better. Today was clearly his best day.

*Watson has plenty to work on as a NFL quarterback but can see the vast improvement since rookie mini-camp. So much more to do.

*Also, Tom Savage threw the ball with purpose today. 1st team reps are helping his game as a player. Clearly the top option at this point.

red5rocket and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's had his opportunities. But, the guy always gets hurt. He's been hurt every single year hasn't he?

Does anyone really have confidence that Savage can make it through an entire season without getting hurt? I don't.

13. donkeypunch

I dont think anybody is worried about Savage finishing out the whole year. Hes had 1.5 games to show what hes capable of to the world. Thats not a whole lot of time, if you ask me or any sane person. Plus, if he doesnt finish the year, then fine, hes not our future. Itll just be an earlier reveal to see how much Watson can actually handle.

Savage will hold his own IMO and even put fans on notice of what hes capable of.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree with this part alone, I think most Texans fans are worried about Savage being able to finish the whole year. Watson isn't ready and no one wants to see Weeden. Things could get really dicey if QB injuries start early.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Eric Decker anyone?

CallMeTheDream and Fullcourt like this.
  16. donkeypunch

Everyone is going in assuming hes gonna play 2 games and end up on IR again.

Lets say he goes 8 games and looks like an average qb without injury, then on the 9th game goes out with a concussion. Is anybody really worried if Watson steps in that point?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. I don't see Watson being a legitimate option at any point this season. If Savage goes down in week 9, we'll most likely see Weeden and I'd think most people would be worried about that.

18. donkeypunch

A lot of learning can be done by week 9 or 10 considering bye week. Carson Wentz started the year and hes looked decent in most of his games and thats with only a training camp. Watsons supposed to be a born leader, fast learner and a great adaptor. With characteristics like that, I dont see why he wouldnt have most of the offense down and be mentally prepared to start a game? How would he do? Who knows, but a franchise that spent a future 1st and a 2nd to draft a qb is not going to sit on their hands with him if they need a qb midway through the season.

That also depends on where we are as a team record-wise. If we are in the mix for a playoff spot, I can see them putting in Weeden if they dont feel like Watson is ready. That being said Weeden would have the shortest leash in the world on him. If he messed up in any way, Watson would be in there in a heartbeat.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So Savage is clearly outplaying Watson

From his site on Watson:

"There are still some things to iron out, most importantly for him sit and trust his reads, but he can make things happen outside the pocket."

20. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

He should outperform him, he's in his 4th year. The Texans have mishandled Savage his entire career, and he will most likely be gone after this year, but he will be the better QB this year. If he gets injured again, 100% the ball will be in Watson's hand and won't leave till bob and rick do.