1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Chiefs 10/20/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2013.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Thanks for the information. I appreciate your input. I do know how the over under works, I was really just trying to find out what it is (40 atm, ty!), and where I could go to put a bet on it.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd take the over but it's a good number. The Texans will score a TD with the run game.

Now the line is at -6 1/2 in favor of the Chiefs. It was at 3 1/2 on Sunday night.

I'd take the Chiefs covering instead of the O/U. Chiefs have covered the spread 3 straight weeks.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I could be wrong, but I think the Texans are also 0-6 against the spread? Chiefs looks like a good bet to me...even though, usually, when something looks like a great bet, it tends to go the other way.

4. Marteen

Marteen Member

I hate to say it, but this is likely a game where it gets ugly from the first possession.

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

If you would have told me before the season began that we would currently be 2-4 going into week 7, I would have thought you were crazy. If you then would have told me we would be dreading a match up with the Chiefs, I really would have thought you were a lunatic.

Oh how the tides have turned.

:(:(:(:(

6. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

if you're going to tank, tank correctly.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Justin Houston will be a big problem for who ever is at QB. Hope this game doesn't become too embarrassing.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Just saying, unbeaten streaks almost always are snapped by big surprise upsets / unlikely candidates.

I'd be floored if Schaub gets the start. Yates is given this one, but another dreadful showing (45 QBR...yeek) opens the door for Keenum in the second half of the season.

Whomever starts, it would be dumb to force the pass. Chiefs only allow 52% completion (best in NFL), snuff out the long ball, and also sport a nasty 5 TD allowed : 10 INTs taken ratio. Flipside? 5.1 yards/carry allowed (2nd worst in the league) and #23 in rushing yards allowed per game....despite the fact that every team playing them has had to try and catch up via the pass late.

That said, the biggest reason KC is undefeated, despite run vulnerability, is that they are currently the best (with the Ravens) at Red Zone defense (25% end in TDs allowed). Houston, sadly, is on the other end of that ranking (76.5%, worst in the NFL). Both of us have been scoring a TD close to 50% of the time in the red zone, with KC doing a little better in that department.

Going to be a LOOOOOONG bye week for Kubiak if they get drummed out of KC 2-5.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I would have said the same about the Texans last week but this team is deplorable on the road against good defenses since the New England game.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

He had an average of 8.9 yards per attempt. Made long passes to Johnson and Hopkins. :eek: Why are you mad, though?

11. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Seen a lot of talk of "if we beat Chiefs and then Colts....."

What indications are there that this team can beat the Chiefs or the Colts? :confused:

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Seriously. The trendline here has us closer to 2-7 rather than 5-4.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Man don't be a p***y. Mine as well watch the game from home if you are not going to rep your team. :rolleyes:

14. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I think this is the game we bounce back.

Schaub plays and the defense is pumped up.

In the playoffs we'll look back at this as the game that got us here.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

losing to the Rams at home big...should be embarassing enough. The Texans really have zero dignity left. They should play with reckless abandon. Like a team who play's the proverbial spoiler role at the end of the season.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

One thing to note, while the Chiefs do sport a wonderful pass rush, the Texans can do a bit of damage against their OLine as well. They have to get a lot of pressure up front to force Alex Smith to be gun shy. The Chiefs gave up 3 sacks last week.

Also the defense really needs to play well...as one of the better teams at creating take aways to one of the worst, the Texans have to force the issue. And that means you Ed Reed. You have been terrible in a Texans uniform...

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Colts blew the door wide open last night; they get Denver next and could very well be 4-3 when they come to town in 3 weeks. If we beat the Chiefs... yeah, you're right - there's nothing to suggest we can. But IF........ then the Colt game could very well be for first place (the Titans get Seattle and the 49ers these next two weeks). You'd be 2-0 in the division, 4-1 in the conference with Arizona, Oakland and Jacksonville next up on the schedule.

That's why I argued the Ram game really wasn't that terribly important. Important that they, you know, show up and correct a few things.... but if they win these next two, the season is officially on.

(I'll again agree that no one should buy a single lick of stock in this scenario... just outlining a very plausible path to salvaging the season.......)

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I have a feeling like this could be a game the Chiefs could overlook. Being at home, 6-0, everything is going right and you have an opponent like the Texans coming in struggling having lost 4 straight games and potentially with a young QB starting. If the defense at least shows up, I think they can keep it close. The offense is really up in the air, and KC's defense is the best in the league right now according to Football Outsiders. The line is -7 at least which isn't too bad considering everything.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Remember when the 2-3 GB Packers came into Reliant and whooped our 5-0 Texans??? Hoping for something like that against the Chiefs...Who am I kidding...they had Aaron Rodgers!

20. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Want to know why we beat the Chiefs?

OK... I'll try to pump some sunshine.

1) Alex Smith is not good. In fact, he's so not good, his QBR is almost as bad as Matt Schaub this season. And that's while playing on a "good" team.

2) The Chiefs are decidedly average at running the ball. About 4 yards a carry, with very little ability to run in short yardage situations.

3) Brian Cushing loves to play against guys like Jamaal Charles. Just ask Chris Johnson, whom he regularly shuts down. Dude just eats those little burners alive. He's especially good at doing this when the opponent doesn't have a pass catching TE threat, which the Chiefs don't.

4) The Chiefs OL is not very good. Not only will rookie Eric Fisher have to deal with Watt all day, but their LT, Branden Albert, is questionable with a knee injury. Also, their best blocking TE, Anthony Fasano, has been out for some time and is questionable. The Texans front 7 will feast.

5) The Chiefs cannot stop the run. They give up a whopping 5 yards per carry, and that's even with teams *throwing* the ball on them to catch up late. Foster and Tate should carve them up something fierce.

6) The law of averages is simply on the Texans side, and not on the Chiefs. The Chiefs have played the 3rd softest schedule in the league so far (behind Chicago and Denver). The Texans have made a lot of uncharacteristic mental mistakes. This has to even out at some point, why not now?