1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: TEA PARTY'S --CONTRACT FROM AMERICA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BrotherFish, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

Here you go. This link will provide you with all the information you want about the Republican early 1990s health care reform plan:

Everything you ever wanted to know about health care reform

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...rtiers-make-up-4-percent-of-population/38971/

Poll: Tea Partiers Make Up 4 Percent of Population

In case you're wondering how many Americans are actually Tea Partiers, CBS and The New York Times have an answer for you: four percent of the general public.

There has been some confusing discussion of the Tea Partiers' numbers lately. A Gallup poll, released earlier this month, found that 28 percent of Americans count themselves as "supporter of the Tea Party movement."

But that's not the same as actually being a Tea Partier, insofar as Tea Party activism can be defined. Signs of identity, as opposed to support, would include whether or not one has attended a Tea Party rally or meeting, participated in a conference call with a Tea Party group, or whether one subscribes to and actively reads an e-mail newsletter from a Tea Party group. Mental engagement is just as important, probably, as physically going somewhere, since not everyone has time to attend a rally in the middle of a workday, for instance, or to meet up with other activists on a weeknight.

A new poll from CBS and the Times, however, finds that 20 percent of those who support the Tea Party movement (18 percent of Americans support it, they find) say they have either given money or attended a Tea Party event, or both.

A total four percent of all respondents, accordingly, had either attended an event or given money.

That figure is based on an April 5-12 telephone survey including results from 1,580 adults nationwide and an oversampled portion of 881 self-identified Tea Party supporters (oversampled to find more info on their preferences, but scaled back down to avoid corrupting the 18-percent figure).

It's the best answer yet (to my knowledge) of how many people are actually engaged with the Tea Party movement.

3. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

4. Steve_Francis_rules

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

6. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

What they are not telling us is that this 4%, about 12 million voters, of the US population just keeps re-registering in different states.

First, these 12 million voters, registered in Virginia, New Jersey and finally Massachusetts--where they are now taking a much needed rest to get ready for November.

Of course, they have already preregistered in the other 47 states and are just getting ready for a very busy travel schedule in November. :grin:

I mean, what else could explain the election upsets and the highly contested primaries? Surely, not that there are more than 4%? :rolleyes:

7. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

Why are you assuming that every person that voted for Christie, Brown, or McConnell was a Tea Bagger? You are of course aware that Virginia and New Jersey both voted for a Democratic Governor over the GOP incumbent in 2001? Note: it wasn't exactly a harbringer for the Dem's chances in 2004.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

You forgot to mention how the Tea Baggers also registered in New York and helped split the conservative vote, giving the Dems a win in a Congressional district that had gone Republican every election for more than a century.

9. BrotherFish

They saw Hoffman as a carpetbagger -- he didn't even live in the district.

As for Owens:

http://www.observer.com/4850/meet-bill-owens-dccc-approved-non-democrat-house

“In choosing Owens, Democrats seem to be acknowledging a need to get away from the Democratic brand in order to replace McHugh, a moderate Republican. Owens, a Plattsburgh attorney, is currently an enrolled independent. His name and face are not widely known. He has never held elected office. His stances on issues are moderate, and his personality is formal.

Owens took a decidedly moderate line on health care restructuring, saying he does not support a public option available to anyone--the crux of the restructuring put forward by President Obama. He said some health plans in Congress not longer include the idea of a public option. This stance is gaining some traction in the Senate.

"It changes every day, the various iterations," Owens told me. "The bill that I would vote for would have a couple of elements to it. It would cover the uninsured, it would eliminate the ability to exclude for a pre-existing condition, and also that focuses on cost-reduction."

Of the final three prospective Democratic candidates--a dozen were interviewed at the Minnowbrook Conference Center--Owens is the only one who does not support a public option.

McGrath was visibly upset with some of the county party chairs after he was passed over in favor of Owens, and told me that "there needs to be some soul-searching among the Democratic Party because it says something that they had to look outside the Democratic Party to find someone who can represent the Democratic, progressive agenda." He said he supports Democrats, but needs to talk to Owens before he could get behind him.

"While we interviewed many qualified applicants, we believe that Bill Owens best shares the values of the communities across our district, and will be an effective independent voice for our priorities," the 11 chairs said in a statement. After the selection, holding a stuffed donkey as she wobbled with sleep deprivation, Essex County Chairwoman Sue Montgomery-Corey told me that the decision was unanimous, and reached after one round of voting.

"I think in the end, this was a consensus by the chairs," she said. "I think DCCC had talked extensively with him, but they talked extensively with other candidates, too."

Hell, I would have voted for him also! :grin:

#109 BrotherFish, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Yes, that's right! The sane republicans of upstate New York saw Hoffman for what he was. A tea bagging freakazoid.

11. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

Actually it's been much longer than that. NY23 hadn't voted for a Democrat since pre Civil War -- before there was even a Republican Party. They voted for Whigs before they voted for Dems. Till the Tea Baggers showed up.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

brotherfish, are you really the former poster pryuen?

13. BrotherFish

lol, too much red? That's for the peole that only skim through the posts. :p

I'm afraid Clutch will remove the features, if someone doesn't use it. :cool:

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's an easy way to find out.

I hear Yao Ming is washed up and will be a drag on the Rockets' offense.

15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3EEw6Ijz0Aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3EEw6Ijz0Aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This interview sums up my suspicions regarding the tea parties. (It's a great interview btw, recommend everyone watch it.) The tea partiers have a lot of very legitimate concerns, but it looks like their anger is deliberately being stoked by their leaders and misdirected towards "Government Everything Bad!!! :mad: " Looking at the way Wayne Allyn Root repeatedly dodge Cenk's simple questions, gives me little confidence that this guy will be any different from the opportunist politicians he says he is against if he gets into power. And this guy looks like he reps the more rational segment of the tea party, never mind people like Palin.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

You are truly delusional. That's the most bizarrely blatant piece of revisionist history I've seen since the Bush administration.

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

To be fair...that isn't a very long time ago. :)

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

What do you expect? This cat thinks Bush was a liberal.

19. BrotherFish

He was 100% conservative on National Security and tax cuts, just like a conservative. However, he did not balance the budget like a conservative is supposed to.

I am not saying he was a liberal; only that, he foolishly thought pushing some liberal agenda's in the end of his second term would appease some of the anger from the liberals. But, this only resulted in alienating both sides.

This added to all the War debt and 9/11 cost impact to the economy put us on a road to economic ruin. When Wall Street stared to fail, we did not have a margin of safety in the economic system.

Also, McCain was not a true conservative Republican either during his campaign, like he has changed into now, due to the TEA Party influence.

The TEA Party is upset with both Republicans and Liberals—we need to balance the budget.

No conflict here in my arguments.

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You must hate Reagan and love Clinton, right?