1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Raiders @Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I assumed it was because of his slow release and accuracy but not sure

2. Fantasma Negro

Good because he gets picked on every slant route...he gets picked on all routes smh

#102 Fantasma Negro, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Mr. Clutch likes this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

that's one thing I always wondered with brock. you can fix slow release and accuracy issues by throwing the exact same throw on a specific time or #-step drop by throwing it hundreds of times in practice. it becomes muscle memory throwing to a spot. BUT... if you have to read anything that split second could throw off the timing and make the throw off target or late. also bad wr routes could fack it up. basically what i'm saying is that if you have a qb with a slow release or accuracy issues you can't have them run a read the defense system post snap. a timing system that is practiced all week helps to hide those issues.

it doesn't matter no excuses really. the Texans know Brock and Brock knows himself. Only a fool would ask or try to do things they can't and we probably have an offensive coaching staff full of fools.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I can't wait to lose & regain BOB and Rick Smith for another year. This drama is just fun to watch. Cleveland Browns of the South.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, what football team are you a fan of?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's been on the team for 3 years... helluva lot more practice time and training camp under BOB than any other QB in this era.

Yes, Osweiler LOST the job... and Savage did lead them to 2 come from behind wins against better than average defenses, in large part by playing mistake-free football.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I definitely think that's part of it. Brock is at his best when he doesn't have to think about anything which is why he's better in hurry up and why he was better in Denver where the QBs in Kubiak's system had less control.

Brock is a bad QB, but if OB was a better coach, he'd simplify the offense by taking some of the decision making out of the QBs hands a la Kubes. I think OB's system can work great with the right QB, but it's not a good fit for Osweiler.

Yaosthirdleg, I am a Donut and ipaman like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That was based on the defense playing some of the best football they've played this year. Savage was never a threat to pass for a TD and all we really saw was the team stalling in the red zone time and time again. The only TD that happened was due to a 20+ yard run play. Again, why not just run the ball every down as opposed to starting Savage? Pretty much the same result.

Also, it's interesting you want to give him all the credit in the world for those wins but you fail to acknowledge that the ONLY reason the Texans beat the Bengals was because of a missed FG due to the Texans pathetic showing by the offense. I mean, I know some want to think of Savage as a "savior" but, 12 points in his first start and the team failed to get past the 50 with him on the field during his second start.....and once he was out, the Texans started moving the ball all over the place.

The narrative just falls apart under scrutiny.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Osweiler was terrible. Savage was less terrible, and didn't lose the game for them.

That's the only narrative that really has any sort of bearing in this "debate".

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Savage was the one who threw for the most yards by any single QB for the Texans this season in 3 quarters against the Jaguars. Without Savage coming in and saving us, we would have lost to the pitiful Jaguars.

Savage moved the ball nicely against the Bengals when O'Brien didn't script his plays. As soon as he opened up the playbook, Savage made some incredible throws under pressure.

Savage is better than Osweiler. Period.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There is one person on earth who thinks Brock is better than Savage. Even Brock doesn't believe that.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, Savage was less terrible while never moving the ball past the 50.....sorry man, while he looked okay in the first partial game he played, he was downright worthless in the 2 starts. I know you probably made your mind up well before Savage stepped foot on the field, but he didn't do much.

Ah, so when Savage did a terrible job it was BOB's fault, gotcha.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I could probably pull up 10 of your posts in that game complaining about BoB's playcalling. It was abysmal. Run on 1st/2nd down, pass on 3rd down. Scripted as hell.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I am no so excite for this game anymore.

ramotadab and Mr. Clutch like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lighten up Francis... I've given Brock every benefit of the doubt along the way.

He was terrible... and was actively getting worse. He got 14 games worth of starts... most guys with his sort of performance get a fraction of that.

Is Savage the long term answer? Far from it. But he did represent a QB who could not only protect the ball (and not make the most egregious of mistakes), but showed more poise in 2+ games than Brock has shown the entire time he was here. Certainly, that may have continued to get worse behind this awful O-Line... but till then, he represents the best QB the Texans currently have.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His play calling has been abysmal all season long.....but it's only an excuse for Savage looking like garbage apparently. I know some of you guys REALLY wanted to believe that he was the savior, but it just isn't the case. I liked his performance against the Jags too, but he did nothing positive after that and then got hurt again. He'll get a shot in camp, but as of right now, he's not better than going with Osweiler who came in the game and actually moved the ball after Savage was hurt.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, so long as you don't care about ever moving the ball and only protecting the ball, why not just run the ball every down? That's the same as having Savage at QB. He looked good in the Jags game when he came in the game, but he's gotten actively worse since then......and he's hurt. You really don't want to have either QB in the game, but if you are needing to actually score at some point, Osweiler gives you the best chance to do that currently. It certainly comes with some risk, but everything does. Hell Savage failing to hold onto the ball and fumbling back into the end zone is the margin the Titans won by.....which would have been a lot larger if Savage had stayed in the game because the offense simply wasn't moving at all with him in there.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No, the playcalling was decent to begin the year. It was only after a few games did O'Brien realize that Osweiler is a liability so he had to tone down his playcalling. He had to eliminate slate routes because Osweiler can't complete the throws.

Savage can make all the throws and had better knowledge of the playbook therefore, O'Brien inexplicably chose not to let him loose against the Bengals save for a few drives.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd say the odds of Savage getting a TD pass and being able to move the ball consistently (which he has done in the 2nd half of both games he played in)... far outweigh the chances of Osweiler not turning the ball over.

And yes... 14 games of Osweiler starting and getting actively worse is more than enough of what I need to see to make those determinations... as opposed to 7 quarters of play from Savage, with 4 of those being effective.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so the bad play calling was Osweiler's fault even when Savage was in the game. Basically everything good was Savage, anything bad was Osweiler or BOB. Gotcha. That's some fun mental gymnastics you are doing to keep hope alive.