1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You keep repeating that crap about Pete without a scintilla of evidence. That makes you a liar, dude. Hope the suit fits you well.

joshuaao likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, we didn’t early vote. I suspected that he might drop out after South Carolina. I couldn’t see an avenue that could give him a win. Still, we enjoyed supporting him. He’s very young and has a political future, in my opinion. I’m for intelligent people in politics who break boundaries. It’s one of the reasons I liked Obama. I heard for decades that, “Oh, a Black candidate will be president some day, but not in our lifetime.” Well, that idea got exploded.

What Pete did was a step in the right direction.

cml750, joshuaao, Jayzers_100 and 2 others like this.
  3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I like Pete a lot, if Democrat wins in Nov, I hope he get one of the cabinet posts. I hope one day he can be the governor or senator for Indiana.

Jayzers_100 and Deckard like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

He seems destined for Sec of State.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Paid off? Then he must be endorsing Trump today.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think he would be excellent in that role, but it would surprise me if it was offered by Biden (who I hope wins now, although he looks a hundred years old). Pete doesn’t have a large number of delegates in the grand scheme of things, but I expect him to make a speech at the convention. His campaign was very well funded, mostly by small contributions, regardless of what glynch would have you believe. A strong endorsement and speech at the convention could really help whoever the candidate turns out to be, in my opinion.

Pete might get offered Deputy Secretary of State, and eventually move up to the office, or a similar position on the Defense side, although I don’t think he would want that. We’ll see. It’s really getting ahead of ourselves. ;-)

No telling what Bloomberg might do. I seriously have no idea what sort of cabinet he would have. Same with Bernie. Who knows?

7. Major

Major Member

I don't think there's any way Pete ends up Deputy-anything. Those tend not to be political figures and it's not really a stepping stone for future political office. No one else that's running in this race is particularly suited for the SoS role, so if it's not Pete, it would probably be someone outside of this whole thing.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You bring up something that I need to get off my chest and I'm sure some will label me a zany conspiracy theorist for.

I realized that the reason the mainstream cable news outlets like MSNBC that is chalk full of DNC/Clinton establishment officials along with the DNC party leaders are deathly afraid of Bernie has really little to do with policy or being in fear of his ability to win against Trump.

The two parties have a current dual monopoly in our electoral process.

Loyalist party leaders of two parties shouldn't dictate our electoral process. When we resort to elite party leaders being the only entities that get to select who our presidents and legislators are, then those party leaders become complacent and drunk with power and want to keep that power. Therefore they aren't going to chose the best candidates for the average American, but rather chose the best candidate to maintain their power. That is their motivation for chosing someone like Biden over Bernie. When they chose Biden, they know they will still be the leaders in the party and will be well represented in high offices in a potential Biden adminstration. It's nothing more than selfish desires. It's all about access to the power you carefully carved out through networking.

9. Major

Major Member

Or maybe instead of it being this giant conspiracy, the American people just don't like Bernie as much as you want to believe. Just sayin'...

Jayzers_100 and Nook like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen some folks suggest U.S. Ambassador to the U.N., a la Nikki Haley, as a way of starting to fill out his political resume. that seems about right to me.

RayRay10, King1, Major and 1 other person like this.
  11. fchowd0311

I'm counting on human nature here. Human propensity to hold on to the power they accumulated is an intrinsic desire in human nature and hence why elite party leaders in a 2 party monopoly system of our represtives Democracy process being the arbiters of who are our legislators, judges and presidents are, are going to chose candidates based on self interests of knowing which candidates will allow them to keep that power or move up the totem poll.

Joe Biden is a candidate that the Clinton/DNC establishment knows they will be well represented in a potential potential Biden presidency. It's all about access. Access to power comes first. Appeasing the electorate comes second.

Trump's administration just makes the whole "bootlicking for access to power" concept flagrantly out in the open with zero shame in it.

#871 fchowd0311, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  12. Nook

Nook Member

In general anytime you have some form of an establishment or organization there will be some degree of favoritism if for no reason other than familiarity.

Having said that, the top concern for the DNC is to win elections. It is the same for the RNC.

As far as appeasing the electorate in regards to Sanders, he hasn’t broken 40% just in the democratic polls. If a majority of the electorate wants Sanders, he will be the nominee.

joshuaao and Deckard like this.
  13. fchowd0311

The high stakes nature where rewards for bootlicking is serving in the adminstration of the executive branch of the most powerful country in the world means it goes far beyond familiarity and rather just desiring access to power, especially when we essentially have two monopolies in our electoral process that filter all the candidates who they deem are worthy of being a legislator, judge or president.

Biden isn't only familiar with the DNC establishment, he's their ticket to the members of the DNC establishment having access to immense clout and power. That is a far more graver concern for them than appeasing the electorate. The DNC establishment tolerates Bloomberg even though they know the Democrat electorate doesn't really like him because they know he will grant similar access as Biden would.

If Bernie wins the nomination, they will still flock to support Bernie in the general because they understand some power is better than none at all and Bernie is going to be a better option for them having some access than Trump. Magically all those concerns about "communism" will be thrown out the window. These people have zero principles. In pretty sure having no principles is a trait that enhances one's chances of being party leaders of one of the two parties.

#873 fchowd0311, Mar 2, 2020
  14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I think you're reading a little too much into this. I don't think people generally congregate in back allies to hatch evil plots or even get direct commands from their superiors to bash certain candidates and prop up others. I think most americans are skeptical of Bernie and this bleeds into the mainstream media as well. The media, much like myself, are cautious with Bernie because he proposes (relatively) radical ideas. We're all comfortable with the familiar and want to beat Trump. Biden makes the least objectionable proposals so he is more likely to beat Trump. Simple as that. We will all support Bernie if the time comes, but until then it makes sense for a million reasons why Biden would be the logical choice

baller4life315 and Major like this.
  15. Major

Major Member

Joe Biden could be the favorite of the establishment. Regular people could also really, really not like Bernie Sanders that much. Both things can be true.

joshuaao and Deckard like this.
  16. fchowd0311

Back alleys? You are trying to discredit my premise by making it sound extremely conspiratorial with your diction there. This is purely human nature.

Do you think Richard Grennel went to a back alley when he bootlicked for Trump and for the position of Directors of National intelligence with zero qualifications for the job? Trump makes the corruption very obvious and in your face as if he's daring the opposition party to even try to check on his powers. But this type of crap happens routinely with party leaders on both sides.

Establishment leaders are far more discrete. Your motivations and the motivations of the party leaders are very different. The stakes they are playing for is to hold significant clout. Those are not the stakes of the general electorate. Understand that.

#876 fchowd0311, Mar 2, 2020
  17. fchowd0311

https://morningconsult.com/2018/01/23/senator-rankings-jan-2018/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...crats-trump-likability-ipsos-poll/4754500002/

A lot of people I'm sure don't like Sanders. But a lot of people also do like him. They like his principled nature. To many people it's a very unique trait amongst politicians.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You must fail at math ....

The more the gubmint takes , the less you have.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That largely depends upon Congress and lets be honest here - with Trump as unpopular as they come , the chances of the Dems walking away from the election with the House , Senate and POTUS are as good as they have ever been.

Under those circumstances - you can count on Bernie getting a lot of his agenda pushed thru , particularly with AOC as his mouthpiece.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Says the guy who cry's about Trump's 984B deficit but is perfectly content with Bernie adding another 10T in spending.