1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Patients' Murders After Katrina Not 'Mercy Killings'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-ball freak, Jul 18, 2006.

1. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

This is pretty much uncharted territory. Should they be charged for murder? Were they mercy killings? Thoughts?

link

Official: Patients' Murders After Katrina Not 'Mercy Killings'
    Warrant Says Lethal Doses Of Morphine Were Given

POSTED: 6:30 am CDT July 18, 2006
    UPDATED: 11:45 am CDT July 18, 2006

Were some hospital patients put to death after Hurricane Katrina?

After a long investigation, the Louisiana State Attorney General's Office said a doctor and two nurses have been arrested in connection with the alleged killing of patients at a New Orleans hospital during Hurricane Katrina.

According to Kris Wartelle, a spokeswoman for the Office of Louisiana Attorney General Charles C. Foti, the doctor and two nurses have been charged with second-degree murder.

"We're not calling this euthanasia. We're not calling this mercy killings. This is second-degree murder," said Wartelle said.

Wartelle identified the three arrested as Dr. Anna Pou and nurses Cheri Landry and Laura Bubo. Orleans Parish Sheriff's Chief William Hunter said each was booked on four counts of "principal to second-degree murder."

The three were booked on four counts each after their arrests late Monday but not yet formally charged, officials said. Wartelle declined to elaborate on the allegations.

The arrest warrant for the doctor said lethal doses of morphine were administered. According to the arrest warrants, the trio also used large doses of a sedative to kill four patients at Memorial Medical Center.

The hospital -- Memorial Medical Center -- was cut off by floodwater after the storm hit. Power went out, and the temperature inside rose past 100 degrees, as patients waited four days to be evacuated.

During that time, at least 34 patients died there. Ten were patients of the hospital's owner, and the others were in a facility run by a separate company.

The charges will be formally announced at a 2 p.m. CDT news conference by Foti in Baton Rouge, La. CNN reported that the staff are accused of killing some of the patients so that the nurses and doctors could evacuate more quickly -- meaning the alleged slayings were not mercy killings at all.

Dr. Pou's lawyer said his client is innocent. He also objected to her being handcuffed at her house late Monday night. He accused authorities of wanting to, "Present her scalp to the media."

Shortly after Katrina, Foti issued subpoenas for 73 employees who were in Memorial Medical Center during and after the storm. The subpoenas came after continuing rumors of mercy killings -- workers killing patients they thought would not make it and were suffering.

A coroner said several months ago that samples were taken from dozens of patients who died at various hospitals and nursing homes, to test for potentially lethal doses of drugs such as morphine. After the bodies were recovered, Orleans Parish coroner Frank Minyard said they were so decomposed the deaths could only be listed as "Katrina-related."

Previously, Minyard told CNN that investigators told him they think some medical staff killed patients. "They thought someone was going around injecting people with some sort of lethal medication," Minyard said.

A nursing manager said that none of the hospital staff knew when rescuers would arrive and that the conditions at the hospital were miserable.

"It was battle conditions," Fran Butler told CNN. "It was as bad as being out in the field." She said the staff was desperate.

"My nurses wanted to know what was the plan? Did they say to put people out of their misery? Yes. ... They wanted to know how to get them out of their misery," she said to CNN.

Butler also told CNN that a doctor discussed the subject of euthanizing patients, saying that she “was totally against it and wouldn't do it."

Dr. Bryant King, who was working at Memorial during Katrina, told CNN that although he didn’t personally witness any killings, "most people know something happened that shouldn't have happened."

Military guard at Memorial Medical Center where more than 40 bodies were recovered after Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, La.

King said that one of the doctors who opposed euthanasia told him that a third doctor said she would be willing to "do it."

He said then, the floor where he was working was cleared of everyone except patients, a hospital administrator and two doctors -- doctors he said had first raised the issue of "mercy killing."

After a prayer, one of the doctors then produced a handful of syringes, King told CNN.

"I don't know what's in the syringes. ... The only thing I heard the physician say was, 'I'm going to give you something to make you feel better,' " King said.

"I don't know what the physician was going to give them, but we hadn't been given medications like that, to make people feel better, or any sort of palliative care," he said. "We hadn't been doing that up to this point."

After deciding he did not want to take part in what he thought was going to happen, King said he grabbed his bag, boarded a boat and left a hospital. He said he doesn’t know what happened after he left.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If they killed those people
    esp without telling them what they were doing
    they deserve a syringe of their own

Rocket River

3. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

If the patient didn't sign off on it, then those people had no right to play God and should be brought up on murder charges.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Man, that's rough.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

sad. can't imagine being stuck in a hostpital in that situation. some of you guys are so judgemental. paitients not signing off? I would put money on these paitients not even being able to communicate.

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

OK, if your unconscious lying in a hospital, do you want someone else deciding whether you live or die? Were not talking about a family member pulling the plug or a living will, we are talking hospital staff deciding who lives and dies.

The power went out in the Medical Center during tropical storm Allison. The staff in those hospitals didn't start terminating patients.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The story says they did it so they could evacuate the place faster. It is hard for me to be really judgemental knowing that they were in the middle of hell.

8. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Very true, which leads back to how the aftermath of the storm was handled. I wouldn't send these folks away to prison, but you have to look at the issue in order to prevent such a situation in the future.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that's the point, its not that they may or may not have gotten consent, I just can't imagine being in a situation like that.

this is a great debate topic by the way. the classic, benefit the individual vs. the greater good.

10. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Thank you, my thoughts exactly.

What they did was horrible but, in the situation they were in, I can see how their thought process came to be. I think once you really try to put yourself in their shoes, maybe murder is not the correct charge. I mean what about the guy that disagreed? He thought what they were doing was wrong so he just hops in a boat and abandons them all? I think that is worse than those indicted who stayed until the end worrying about the care for the greater number of patients. Just tragic. :(

11. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

Interesting topic.

Many times I have patients that I know are suffering and I hope that they do pass, just to ease the misery. Interestingly enough patients' families always pray for a miracle and many times I tell them that the miracle is the patient dying.

However, in this case I think that if the patients were euthanized (especially if the staff wanted to get out of the hospital faster) that this is wrong and the staff involved should be held accountable.
    Now if the staff was adminstering narcotics for palliative care, then that seems okay. The article implies that the staff was adminstering lethal doses, which is never okay.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It looks like everyone's covering his/her ass. It would've been much different if they witnessed some of their patients deaths and had to act immediately. They decided by themselves to euthanize their patients.

The details will reveal whether they'll get 5 years or 15.

Anyways, I feel for anyone who had to live and act through that ordeal.

#12 Invisible Fan, Jul 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  13. TracyMcCrazyeye

i'm surprised that the DAs are going for a full-fledged murder charge. if these doctors euthanized these patients just to get out asap then i think that the charge should stand. however, how do we not know that the doctors tried everything they could to help the patients and, when at a dead end, had no choice but to euthanize the patients? we already know that there was no way to rescue the patients out of new orleans. perhaps it was best for them to be euthanized rather than for them to wait and wait for death to come via drowning.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

So, what would you do? You are stuck in Jonah's hell and you can't get out because there are other people there that are helpless that you have to get out because they cannot get out themslves. And you fear that if you wait for them to have the ability to get out, they may have already died after suffering and you might die waiting for help to arrive so that they can be taken care of. So, what do you do? Just jump in a boat and paddle away and leave them to suffer a miserable death? Or do you just stay there without any knowledge of what is coming next and wait for the next wave to come and take you and them to your watery tomb?

This will be an interesting case to follow.

That doctor that jumped in the boat and just left should be brought up on charges. What a selfish, heartless act.

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I heard one of the doctors charged that those patients had Do Not Resucitate releases. In which case if a patient is dying because there is no power to the equipment keeping them alive and they've signed a DNR is that murder then to speed up the inevitable, especially if you can't make them comfortable with AC and clean water?

I have a hard time judging these people. Yes doctors should never kill patients but considering the situation where these patients might die anyway but torturously as they dehydrate in 100 degree plus temps surrounded by fetid water or suffocate because the oxygen isn't working I'm not sure making sure they pass on painlessly is the wrong call.

One more thought. Given that people were trapped for days and there is no clean water or refridgeration to maintain food and medicine do you then make sure to keep everyone alive, even though some patients are very likely going to die anyway or do you ration supplies for those who are most likely going to make it? In that case would it make sense to euthanize the worse off? I don't have a good answer to that but throwing that out there in regard to looking at the situation.

#15 Sishir Chang, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is why I'm not a donor
    I don't want to Dr deciding for me
    "OH WELL . . RR's quality of life. .or chances for life are slim
    let's gut him for parts now . .. . it is better for more people"

If it was my kin . . .. I'd be out for murder myself

These are the extreme opposite of heroes

Yea . . cover your *sses . . make sure it is easy on themselves
    If i'm alive. . I have a shot . .. to have my shot taken from me
    because someone *thinks* they know better is WRONG

I'm quite sure that those people are glad they died
    so that these folx could get out a little faster
    I mean . .I'm sure they did not want to be a burden

NO . .. not at all . .If the folx were like KILL ME . . kewl
    but
    To do it. . on there own . . no matter what it is WRONG

Rocket River
    . . guilty conscience . .no worries DR we got a syringe that will heal all your hurts

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

RR have you heard of the term "triage"? Medical personal make life and death decisions all the time based upon the probability of which patients have the best chance of survival. Would you rather doctors devote as much time on a patient that is likely not to survive and die in horrible agony as on a patient that could be saved?

As for not being a donor personally I think that's a very selfish and paranoid position. Doctors aren't just going to harvest someone's organs without consent. Even if you can't give consent the final decision goes to your family. Also considering that if you're dead why not use what's left of your body to help others? If you or a family members need an organ you better hope that someone else out there isn't as selfish or paranoid.

As someone who once needed a blood transfusion I'm more than happy to give my blood and when I die I hope that my organs and anything else left of my body can be used to help others.

Although I wouldn't recommend using my joints as I've done a lot of wear and tear on them.

18. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

I believe these mercy killings were warranted.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not enough evidence in this thread or the article to make any kind of guess as to guilt or innocence.

Doctors have to make life and death decisions all the time.

Wait and see.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member