1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Michael Bloomberg for President 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 7, 2019.

1. foh

foh Member

Looked pretty weak there. And there is little he could've said. But with women voting for a p*ssy grabber, stripper goer, Bloomberg won't suffer too much for it in general election. He should be so thankful to Trump for desensitizing the population about these things. No one can effectively attack Trump on that, since I assume Hillary tried and failed. The stop and frisk defense, he definitely needs to brush up on though.

2. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

No they are not. Bernie will start the argument at Single Payer. He'll fight hard as nails for it. He'll use enormous political capital and exercise the bully pulpit to the fullest extent of his power. But at some point, the equation will depend on how much actual public-pressure there is and what the perceived political consequences of opposing M4All are for each individual lawmaker. That last bit is the unpredictable part of this equation. Bernie can and will do everything he can to fight for single-payer, but once public-pressure/involvement dries up he will be out of political capital, it is at that point that he may have to compromise if the goal of single-payer isn't in sight.

And if there is not a legitimate, substantive compromise option on the table then he will have to start organizing another campaign for 2022 midterms to get all the useless hacks unwilling to negotiate out of office.

Obama started negotiations at the public option, but couldn't even get that. Bernie will start and hold onto the gold standard of M4All as long as he has the political-capital/public-support to do so.

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

To be fair, he said it 3 1/2 years ago when he wasn't running for president. Not that it matters. He's not pulling voters away from Bernie.

And after tonight, he's essentially done. The other candidates successfully made him out to be another Trump. Some might say that people don't care about "p*ssy grabber" comments after Trump. But that doesn't apply to Democratic primary voters.

B-Bob, RocketWalta and tmoney1101 like this.
  5. foh

foh Member

Kinda hard to make someone out to be "another Trump". POTUS is pretty unique. If anything, I thought Bernie was more Trump like - especially with all the Bernie-bros attacks directed at him.

Still, I'll vote for Bernie in a heartbeat if he wins.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We'll see.

I think you are right, but, things are so partisan now I could see even Democrat viewers not caring.

If he wins the nomination then I bet he wins the presidency, these next few weeks will be a test to see if Democrat voters have just as low standards as republican voters.

7. foh

foh Member

Um, if you are comparing Bloomberg to Trump and saying "just as low standards", then may I ask how much money Trump is donating to philanthropy? I think just that might be enough to differentiate the two without delving too deeply...

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But this is comparing Bloomberg to the other 5 candidates, not Trump. If Democrat voters choose him over any of these other 5 than they are basically saying they don't care about the sexual harassment, the racist policies, they don't care.

They could pick Biden or Pete or Klobuchar if they want a moderate, why Bloomberg? It almost makes it worse than Trump because Trump's competition weren't as radical as him, so policy wise, GOP voters ONLY had Trump. Only Trump was going to go as far as building walls and insulting Mexicans. Only Trump was willing to go that far with his nationalism and buy the time slimy Cruz and others could pick up that that's what the party wanted it was far too late. That was Trump's lane.

Bloomberg isn't really offering anything you won't get from Biden/Pete/Amy...only that he has a lot more money than them and "I'm from New York, I know how to deal with this guy, trust me," talk. So yes, for me, if Bloomberg wins it tells me Democrat voters have low standards too.

9. foh

foh Member

Policy wise, Biden is the only alternative to Bloomberg now that Yang has gone defunct. Biden has his own skeletons. Not a whole lot of choice. I guess I'll have to read up on this whole harassment stuff. Pete is a racist too, as well as Klobuchar according to the way media portrays them. Biden had the whole busing issue if I remember right. Warren is racist against native americans I hear.. I jest to a degree.

As long as it's old news and apologized for, I can stomach it in the hopes of higher electability (highly subjective thing, I admit).

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The thing is Bloomberg's indecision really screwed him in this race. I remember the whole "Will he or won't he" period and he should have just jumped in at the start.

If he had, this would have been old hat by now. Eventually, people would eye roll at these attacks and it would feel like they were just teaming up on him and he likely would have more time to twist his negatives into 'not so bads' or the media could have at least. Now though, with the actual voting right around the corner, this hurts him a lot more now than it would have months ago. Had this very same thing happened months ago he could have almost built up an immunity from it and it would have been so much in the past.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Michael Bloomberg, even if you ignore his horrible practices of Stop and Frisk and his issues with women, at least to me epitomises what is wrong with our modern massive publicly traded companies and the instant algorithmic trading that happens in WallStreet that made businesses "lose their soul" to the point where modern publicly traded companies have literally no insentive to care about sustainability of their company 10 or 20 years in the future along with the long term impact they have on the planet and incessantly care only about short-term growth for the sake of growth.

It's probably why so many people have so much endearment over "small businesses" because small businesses were prone to caring about the long term future of their local community.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Bloomberg portrayed a very Trump-lite persona last night. He shamelessly flaunted his wealth and status. Was arrogant. Didn’t pretend to be friends with the people on stage. Has a ton of baggage. Doesn’t mind being the villain. Still, though, knows they’re a political force. Doesn’t seem to care about optics.

I doubt he can defy political gravity the way Trump could (and still can), but it’ll be interesting to see his post-debate polling.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Prepare to be amazed.

JayGoogle likes this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

What a complete shock you post a video by alt-right scumbag Carl Benjamin.

RocketsLegend and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Today I saw a Bloomberg yard sign :)

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He's not alt-right. This video is the anti-thesis of an alt-right view.... you've confirmed to me how out of touch you are.

Here is his video about the alt right... I skipped to the ending where he gives his overall take on them if you'd care to at least listen to the man for one minute in order to get a grasp of his actual position. You don't have to like him or agree with him, but here is his take on the alt right. Spoiler... he thinks they are fanatics.

#518 dachuda86, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Can I make money if I display one?

20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Yeah my bad total stand up guy.

Here is another
    A member of his party rated him out. Such a stand up guy

#520 AleksandarN, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020