1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Melo Doubters Thread (not just another Melo thread, well sorta)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

day - I'm just talking about the ability to blend in/ subjugate one's game for the greater good of the team....,be made better...and make others better...not considering the length of season (which may be a good point, although he hasn't had major injuries, just dealing with slight age issues at this juncture, and our depth will help with his minutes big time)...I mean, at the end of the day, we all want his presence to make us a stronger, more efficient product...And in his case, even now, I submit..with CP3, Beard, and the rest of the as yet to be completed Rockets team (assuming health), along with MDAJeff ...that product will be more than sufficient to achieve our objective, a title. ie NewMath.

Melo's going to be allowed to just hoop in the flow.

#41 Plowman, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    j@amc and daywalker02 like this.
  2. dwhite

dwhite Member

Love the optimism, but by year end we will have half the site referring to the few remaining supporters as MOFs (Melo Only Fans)!

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's all good. The Olympics return in evey 4 years so I this term has been overused.

I am all for using him in a limited role.

The Rox season hinges on the healthy legs and arms of a certain Chris Paul. Harden is good but not as good of a leader.

The Rox made their bed with this 160 million Chris Paul deal for the next years. For better or worse.

cmlmel77 and Plowman like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Maloofs were semi horrible. Good name.

6. j@amc

j@amc Member

He's by no means a "perfect fit," and his defense has always been below his athletic talent, but Carmelo is a player.
    There will be stretches on offense that he can dictate play and that is only going to help Harden and CP3.

Even in the GS matchup, while he's not guarding anyone well, Carmelo will take either Durant or Iguodala off of Harden. And if Curry switches on to him, Carmelo can score or draw more defenders (which is more than we could say for Ariza or even Capela in these matchups).

I think on the whole this is a positive move.

Plowman, napalm06 and noppeper like this.
  7. rammo

rammo Member

Yeah, he’s ok...

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We need two more Melo threads at least if we do sign Melo:

The "I've grown to hate Carmelo Anthony" thread
    The "Sending positive vibes to Melo" thread

But we will also see:
    the "I love Carmelo Anthony, I'm serious" thread

At the end of the season, or when he gets dumped, there will be:
    the "Official Carmelo Anthony Appreciation" thread

Reeko, napalm06, Os Trigonum and 2 others like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

@Zboy @YOLO

@DreamShook

@Os Trigonum

@anyone

A_3PO, Easy, DreamShook and 3 others like this.
  10. JD88

JD88 Member

I cant imagine a scenario in the playoffs when Melo is asked to play defense and doesn't.

I just dont see it happening. Not if CP3 is doing the asking.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Melo doubters, how would you like your crow served?

;)

BoneYardDog and Plowman like this.
  12. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

If the Rockets are thinking efficiency on offense, then there will need to be some decently drastic changes in his game for that. At the least you want him at a TS% of 55% of higher, but ideally Rockets would want 57-58%+. That's not going to happen with Carmelo doing heavy mid-range.

The eFG% on 36% 3PT is good but that's still just getting you to 54%. Over his last 3 seasons with less explosiveness and lift, Carmelo has only managed 55% FG at the rim. So with just 3PT and at the rim , you're only about league average TS%. Add FTA, let's say a very generous 4-5 FTA, and now you're efficient, but that's assuming absolutely no mid-range which is unrealistic since he will be used in the post and he will use his turn-arounds, and some of those shots are what get him some of his FTA.

Carmelo generally shoots about 43-44% FG from mid-range, so how small of a percentage of his FGA is going to come from there?

Is he going to improve at the basket or from 3PT? Hard to tell, catch and shoot isn't his greatest strength he can do it but he's rhythm guy, so that's a factor for 3PT%. So just depends on how it all comes together.

TheFreak likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Some players put up stats only. Some players are winners only, with no stats. Some players give you both. Some players give you neither but fill out a bench better than g-leaguers.

I am NOT in the camp that Melo never contributed to winning. Earlier in his career, he was so good, that even though it was a stats first effect, it also contributed to winning.

I however AM in the camp that at this point in his career, you'll be lucky to get the stats, and that's it. He's now played with Chauncey, Kidd, AI, Porzingis, Amare, Westbrook and Paul George among others, and has won 3 playoff series across 16 seasons of NBA basketball... which is less than the likes of Clint Capela, Jaylen Brown, etc.

That's different than a Barkley, Stockton, Nash type. It's more of a TMac level. But he has gotten to the playoffs a lot.

The only way the Melo experiment works is if he mentally buys into playing a bench role, potentially as a guy of importance AFTER Harden, CP3, Clint, and Eric Gordon, and buys into switching defense, and otherwise focuses almost exclusively on shooting percentage. History has shown me that is unlikely to happen, but we shall see.

14. Chamillionaire

Man... if he works out and his production can be anywhere around Gordon's, we could really have another run at it.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The potential fatal flaw in DM's entire master plan is that he actually doesn't seem to care about traditional measures of efficiency in his quest to get efficiency through style.

Meaning... sure, the Rockets have had one of the best points per possession offenses in league history the last few years, but its been entirely stylistically driven, which has haunted them in the playoffs.

With opportunities to add even more dead-eye shooters in the past (JJ Redick being prime example) he's got hesitant for financial or other unknown reasons.

This year, as an example, Wayne Ellington signed a 1 year deal for $6.2 million. That would have fit just fine under the MLE. Sure, Ellington isn't a defender, and isn't a forward, and isn't a ballhandler ... so, still sign Ennis. Ellington has shot 37% or higher from 3 in 7 of his 9 years, 39% or higher in 5 of those years, and 39% on 7.5 threes a game last year.

Regarding Melo, he really only fills one hole/need, and that's the fact that he can play 3/4. He's not an efficient scorer, not a good defender, doesn't excel on the boards, doesn't play with pace, doesn't do the little things that go unaccounted for, etc. It's a head-scratcher.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Let's take a look at exactly what we'll be doing...

This isn't a bad coach (McHale) trying to fit a stubbornly square peg (Dwert) into a round hole.

This is one of the greatest offensive coaches the game has ever seen working one of the greatest offensive players the game has ever seen into an existing, established system with two respected elite players running the show.

I know, sounds soooooooooooooooo terrible.:rolleyes:;)

Make no mistake, Carmelo Anthony is a superstar-level talent and will make an already elite offense even better. Just imagine the vaunted Warriors defensive late in Q4 of a close game when they have to decide who to focus on: Harden, CP3, Melo, EG or Clint.

As for his famously lazy defense, Biglydick will work it out, and peer pressure will make a difference in Melo's effort. Guys like him and Harden put forth the effort on D when they are on contending, cohesive teams. The Thunder (and the Knicks) never fit that description. Our defense may give up another 3-5 ppg, but our offense will more than make up for it.

I told the doubters way back when that MDA was going to be a great fit here. I'm saying the same about Melo. No need to save this thread so you can serve me crow when I'm wrong, because I won't be. :p

TL;DR: Melo is a massive upgrade offensively over Ariza. Everything else is just pointless worrying.

#56 topfive, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    napalm06, Os Trigonum and Plowman like this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So is this the place where I can redeem my crow voucher?

bongman, napalm06, PigMiller and 3 others like this.
  18. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

He's yet to determine if the time is right or not.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1) He's been paid, and he wants to be here. Obviously, not for the money....So, one must assume he wants to play with his friends, and win titles. Now,.if that's the case, one would think the likelihood of problems is pretty darn low. Again, he should thrive here with Beard and James, playing in the flow on a true team. They've hooped together a bunch, and there's been plenty of time to plan/let this happen. He knows what it's going to be like already...and is all systems go.

2) Ryno will eventually be gone, so there's no reason to factor him in, on the court. Melo is more than capable of playing acceptable team defense, so no worries there. It's just a matter of buying in and, like I said, he's already done that. Plus there are/will be others too help on the defensive side of the ball.

3) Yes, there's only one rock, and the beauty of it is Melo can score in a myriad of ways....and it will all be in rhythm/in the flow. The guy's going to be getting the ball where and how he wants it...in space. He's going to be seeing wide open practice type 3's, easy flushes off silver platter jobs, cranking out the midrange game when needed, and of course abusing guys in the post. His versatility is going to make us that much better, than even when RA was hitting threes.

Plus, he's an excellent passer......and is going to rack up many more assists, and add to our beautiful offense. I expect more rebounds also. Look for more of an all around game. ala.."Olympic Melo"...

And, seriously...do you really think we have to worry about him not shooting? I would think that some might worry about just the opposite.

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm a doubter. Hell, I'm a bit of a doubter about the Beard's heart, and CP3's old body. But I'm a SERIOUS doubter about Melo. I'm also a bit of a homer too though, so I'll try to supress my doubts, and I'll root like hell for him.

Plowman likes this.