1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Melo Doubters Thread (not just another Melo thread, well sorta)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I was picturing all day yesterday about coming home to a huge, thick and juicy eye fillet steak.

Literally all day, all I could think about was being united with this beautiful steak.

When I got home, I realised the expiry date was past, and I had to settle for sausages.

I was so unenthused whilst eating the sausages, honestly I was just not happy at all since I had my heart set on something else for so long. I was so deflated.

Now I'm stopping at the grocery store on the way home tonight and going to buy the fattest eye fillet I can find. And I'm going to enjoy every second of it.

There's an analogy in there somewhere.

2. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

LOL. Please define great.

I doubt the Rockets every year until they can deliver the championship.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Were we not "great" last year? 65 wins, the best record in the NBA.(with injuries).And, you know as well as I do (or should) that in spite of CP3's hammy, Luc's injury, and Ryno's wasted capspace we had beaten one of the "greatest teams of all time"...only to have it stolen by the League office. That title should have been ours.

Either you weren't paying attention (which I seriously doubt) ,didn't understand what you were watching, or dismissed all our accomplishments to confront me here without thinking it through. I think the latter.

You know why....Your post is confrontational...reactive, by the seat of your pants..
    But, it's the last statement that speaks volumes.." I doubt the Rockets every year until they can deliver the Championship."
    Of course, they have delivered titles, and had better teams before those titles...

But, I'm assuming that's not what you meant. That we start over every year...and you watch every year with doubt.....not ever believing.

That's a helluva perspective to view each season from....sounds miserable...and no this isn't about being a "realist"..It's something else all together.

And it's sure as heck no way to live life.

D-rock, clutchdabear and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Take it easy, cowboy. I live life to the fullest however when it comes to the Rockets I am entitled to my doubts every year. It doesn't make me any less of a fan than you. Sure, I can acknowledge the great 65 win feat last year and having an MVP but it doesn't take the bitterness away of still coming up short.

I will forever cherish the glory years but watching them come up short every year since is frustrating. Not every Rocket fan can have the same optimism as you. Hindsight.

kjayp and clutchdabear like this.
  5. Remlap

Remlap Member

We need MORE Melo threads because we haven't said all there is to be said.
    I wonder what Dmo is doing right now? Someone should start a thread

[​IMG]

K mf G likes this.
  6. Plowman

Supporting Member

You know what, I probably should have left that at the first paragraph, about great....Your post triggered something in me though...my apologies for getting carried away. We all want the same thing, and view things through our own lens.

kjayp and saleem like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am confused. Why is a non-doubter starting an official doubter thread?

It's like a Trump supporter starting an official Trump hater thread.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, I seriously doubt Melo will be "fantastic". That ship sailed for him awhile ago. Last season, it took OKC far too long to concede he's nothing more than a role player who can no longer consistently win one-on-one matchups. His shot selection was horrendous as he continued searching for the old magic. The way teams brutally attacked his defense late in the season and playoffs was the nail in the coffin for me. Even if Melo helps the offense (as a 5th wheel averaging ~13 ppg), he will be useless in the playoffs. Rockets already have that guy in Ryan Anderson.

If anyone believes "Olympic" Melo can last an entire 82-game season and playoffs, prepare to be disappointed.

One thing he can do early on to demonstrate his head is in the right place is to agree to come off the bench.
    He should have learned this lesson from last year (watching Jerami Grant): It's not who starts, it's who finishes. If he still doesn't understand that, oh well.

noppeper, TheFreak and Easy like this.
  9. Plowman

Supporting Member

Well, Easy ..I was reading through all the threads and I was struck by how many in here really have zero to little faith in Melo. Even at the minimum. This really surprised me. See, my best friend is dead set against having him on our team, but of course as a Rockets fan, he wants it to work out.We were talking earlier tonight. So, I told him, "I'm going to make a thread just for you." I figured.. get everyone together in one thread and get a closer look, and maybe have a little fun with the whole deal. Ergo..this.

Easy and A_3PO like this.
  10. Plowman

Supporting Member

I've said this a few times, but am happy to respond here.

To me, Melo is the biggest overlay in all the NBA. He's coming from a discombobulated mess in OKC with no flow,where his skills and talent were hidden. It was like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Before that he was the first option on rudderless ships. Melo is Rip Van Winkle about to awake from a long slumber. Now, he's coming to a real team, a well oiled 65 win machine with CP3 and Beard in the backcourt...a Rockets team that plays in a flow driven by those two guys. And, he's been paid. He WANTS to be HERE...playing for a title, with his friends. He's going to have so many wide open looks/finishes in rhythm ....He also will abuse the mismatches in the post and utilize the midrange game when needed. For those that worry so much about his D...It's overblown, as he's more than capable of playing good team defense. Plus you get so much on the offensive side...I expect something very close to Olympic Melo as the product here...Think about how good James and Chris make CC look. Also, consider how much easier he'll make the game for everyone else. We're about to see a show from our guys again every night.

And, Daryl's not even close to done yet. Might as well be playing "Sweet Georgia Brown" at just about every game.

#30 Plowman, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  11. munco

munco Member

Count me in the doubters group but don't blame them for taking the risk at the vet's minimum. Still think he's a net negative at this point though.

Easy and saleem like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think I will move to the Melo Optimism thread.

I am just a tad excited in terms to what he can bring with the 2nd unit, he is by far no Lebron but he has the tools to make the game interesting yet he is also nigh to self destruction.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

so he knows where to have the crow delivered?

It's just a thread for all the doubters to come to...Wait! It's a trap! SCATTER!

Easy and Plowman like this.
  14. Plowman

Supporting Member

LMAO, kjay! You're killin me, man!

kjayp likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I was too sober today. My bad. Coulda woulda shoulda...

Plowman, Os Trigonum and daywalker02 like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wish he didn't look so fat playing with the Thunder.

Enjoy life when you've retired.

Give the fans their money's worth.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Olympics are a 1-2 month tourney, I wish ppl would stop referring to it. We are talking 82 games plus 10 plus playoff games.

Virtually anyone in the league could go hot for 1 month. They also play lots of lesser competition during that tourney.

Jeezus. If you are talking Lebron, never heard anyone mentioning Olympic Lebron.

Only thing they do there, they scheme and form superteams there.

#37 daywalker02, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    YOLO likes this.
  18. smp

smp Member

Melo can and will score. Harden and CP3 are willing passers. They do it for the team. Westbrook passed just so he could get 10 assists. There's a huge difference there and I'm sure the players get that. I wouldn't want to be a tool for Westbrooks triple double if I had a career like Carmelo. I would want to be part of a winning TEAM.

I think Melo was being misunderstood too. My take on his comments is that he has always been a number 1 option guy and he still has more to give. He is still a starter in the NBA, not a bench scrub.

I hope he realises that he won't be an All star in Houston no matter how well he plays though. We only had 1 last year LOL- despite 65 wins and taking GS to the edge of elimination.

Plowman likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm just glad plowman delivered now everyone has to start eating crow.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. rammo

rammo Member

Feels a lot like when we picked up J-Smoov mid year a few seasons back. There was skepticism about even that...

Melo is a multi-gold medal winning hall of famer. Calm yo t*** everyone, it’ll work.