1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Matt Schaub to Raiders for late round pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DieHard Rocket, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Does it? Like what?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well, what was the alternative? Being pigeonholed into starting a rookie?

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Stop thinking so short term. This clears up a lot of room following this next season. We aren't winning anything this year so who cares. At least next year we don't have that atrocious contract here anymore.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The alternative was keeping Schaub for another year while a rookie got groomed. All we did really was swap Schaub for Fitz which is a step down from a QB perspective and we didn't even open up any cap space this year by doing so. It's not that it really matters, but it is a downgrade.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only difference between trading him and cutting him with the appropriate designation is that we get a low draft pick....it's not like the Raiders did us some great favor.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I thought there was a small chance they held onto Schaub as a backup, but no way in hell were they going to trot him out there as a starter. That was never really an option. Reliant stadium would be ablaze.

Schaub to Fitz might be a lateral move in terms of skill, but in terms of actually having an option to insert someone into the lineup, it's a step forward.

7. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

It opened up cap space for next year, which is a lot more important than this year for FA anyways.

He'll just be serving as a backup for Johnny anyways.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It is 4.5 million off the books this year. Even if we used 3.75 to get Fitzpatrick you have to look at the deals separately. I agree that in either scenario, trade vs waive, we would be off the books by this year at least (I think there was an option with the waiver to spread out the bonus cap hit over the remainder of the contract, but yuck who would want that, the stench of Schaub on our cap all the way into 2016).

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'll agree that swapping Schaub out for Fitzpatrick isn't the greatest of moves but I think it's more of a mental thing and just to wash our hands of Schaub. If the fanbase and, more importantly, the players get on the field and start thinking "crap man...I hope he doesn't throw another pick 6" it does nothing for the confidence for the collective.

I guess the simple way of thinking is I rather say "Ryan Fitzpatrick...he hasn't thrown a lot of pick 6s in his career..." than to say "God I hope Schaub doesn't throw a pick 6 again"

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a lateral move in terms of skill, its a step backwards in terms of skill, but you are right, the unwashed masses would riot of Schaub started so the only thing you can do is trot a lesser QB out there and they'll cheer because they don't really know any better.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that it's mental, and honestly it doesn't really matter in the long run because neither Schaub or Fitz were/are going to be the long term solution, I was just saying that it's not really cause for celebration.

12. Bogey

Did you not see how horrible Schaub was last year? Fitz is just a backup any ways.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It was actually not a horrible contract...Schaub was terrible last season, but he was in the Cutler range the year before. Look at Cutler's contract...no way the Bears would be able to get out of that deal one year later. The Texans are very lucky to be able to get out so quickly.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he had a really bad season for him last year, he's still a better QB than Fitz....and unless Keenum or Yates is the starter, Fitz will be the guy. BOB isn't throwing a rookie to the wolves.

15. smr6

smr6 Member

Raiders fan forum had a thread titled "If the Shaub trade gets done then who will he throw to?".

I really wanted to just reply and say "whoever is about 9 yrds downfield".

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

More like whoever is playing corner for the opponent.

2 people like this.
  17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

You'll be back Eeyore!

[​IMG]

18. Bogey

Maybe D Allen will be smart enough not to call the out rout....ever. Schaub could not make that throw.

19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol that will be a fantastic game.

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This was beautifully maneuvered by Texans management. Leaked information to basically force the Raiders into giving up a pick for Schaub. Furthermore, 2015 is going to be the big offseason for us. $50MM in space, with some of it saved up for a Watt extension but also a lot of flexibility.

This is how you rebuild.