1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Matt Schaub to Raiders for late round pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DieHard Rocket, Mar 21, 2014.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

WTF :confused::confused:

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On one hand, I'm shocked(and elated) at what we got for Matt and his bloated contract. But if I had to guess who and what team would go for that, it would be Al Davis and the Raiders...same as it ever was. ;)

3. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it too late for Antonio Smith to change his mind now!!!!!

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Can someone contact Moes to make sure he's not hanging himself right now?

5. Remii

Remii Member

The Jags got a 6th round pick for Gabbert so what do you think the Texans will get for Schaub....??? I'm hoping for a 4th or 5th.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think this definitely means we are drafting a QB with our first pick. I do not want Fitzpatrick starting.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This was the thought all along. Releasing or trading him results in the same cap relief.

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I kind of feel it is the opposite. I think we pick Clowney then pick a QB with the 2nd pick... but who really knows..

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

We're keeping our options open, apparently. Which is smart. This is similar to the deal the Bills gave Kevin Kolb last year before they drafted EJ Manuel.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Does Gabbert make 14.5M per year? Take what you can get and be happy with it.

I don't place all the blame on Schaub. I wish the guy well; he's probably shot, but I wish him well. I hope he has a bounceback year and makes us all realize that this was 100% on Kubiak, and that an epically awful season from Schaub was the actual band-aid that we had to rip off in order to realize what it would take to yank that mediocre coach off of our team. If not for Schaub's pick sixes, we might have been hanging our hats on false hope for the next 20 years as Kubiak .500-ed his way towards job security.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I lean this way ever so slightly because I feel Fitzpatrick is a semi-capabale starter. If they had signed, say, Rex Grossman for 1 year and 900K, I'd be like.... oh crap, we're definitely going QB at 1st overall.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I think he'll be starting until another is groomed.(Case will be around too) I just hope that we trade down from #1 and load up....waste of value taking anyone besides Clowney there.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand and agree with the relief that he's moving on, but I do not understand the hate and disrespect. He never did anything to deserve that...

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

perfectly fine...take the hit this year, and then have everything cleared off the books next year.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Man, I wonder what the board will be like if he rips the Texans D when they play in Oakland.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well either Case or Fitz will be starting next year, which will be rough, but the Texans should be drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to eventually take over.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Good point... But aren't the Texans responsible for 10 million or so of that...? And I'm sure he will have to restructure his deal. At least Schaub has had success. Something is better than nothing but a 4th or 5th round pick could be valuable in this draft.

19. pocketrocket81

Matt Schaub will be fine...just like Jacoby Jones and Trindon Holliday before him. Most of our problems arose from Kubiak and his coaching staff. I am hoping that O Brien can change the mentality of this team and only time will tell.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

I hope not must take Clowney Case will start FP is the backup.