1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I had a thought that if we had a contested convention, you'd see Cuomo show up on ballots on the 2nd vote. That's obviously not going to happen now.

I've heard Tammy Duckworth has at least been looked at. I, personally, think she would be a fantastic candidate. Woman, minority, vet who literally gave up a piece of her body in battle and received the Purple Heart, extremely intelligent and well spoken. Thought she would've been a great presidential candidate and was a little disappointed she didn't run.

2. Major

Major Member

Cuomo is getting a lot of positive attention for his Covid response, but he has largely been an enemy of progressives prior to that on a number of issues, including hot-button topics like health care and police. He's been in a massive fight to cut state health budgets, which he quietly pushed through during this mess. His early response to Covid was also a disaster - basically, it was very Trumpian and claimed NY would be fine while others were sounding the alarms. He handled it very well after he realized the gravity of the situation, but he also fought DeBlasio and others on shutdowns every step of the way and made the situation far worse than it could have been.

jiggyfly and Deckard like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then it's a good thing Joe ruled out a guy!

;-)

Astrodome and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Anyone but Kamala.

Nook and King1 like this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I wont 100% rule out Kamala, but there is a very high chance I'd stay home.

Biden really needs to get off the race thing. He has already secured the black vote. If the party is hell bent on identity politics, pick a woman based on accomplishments, not something she was born with that is completely out of her control.

King1 and Corrosion like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've said multiple times , I won't vote for a ticket that has Kamala on it. She's evil , part of the problem , not the solution.

King1 likes this.
  7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The topic of racial injustice, and all of the emotion and tension surrounding it aren’t going away between now and November. As such with life, timing is going to play a critical role in Biden’s decision making.

He’s picking a Black female. It’s very obvious, at least to me. Warren is the the wildcard, but I sense she’s maybe #3 or 4 on his shortlist at this point.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

His vocal base does not want to "get off the race thing". Maybe it's because of Trump rolling back time and progress, but police brutality and namely racial inequality by law enforcement is a must fix issue while people vent and air out their cabin fever and anxiety over dwindling fortunes.

Covid and our broken economy should be the top issues, but those require painful sacrifice in its real answers.

I personally think this is a legit issue that should be acted upon now after a decade of full of video taped snuff films and injustices, but I'm sure suburban or rural homeowners who have something to lose will think of five other priorities that are higher.

P.S. Kamala would be a bad choice imo. Reeks too much of flyover establishment types who typically marginalize the people's voices and opinions for $$$$ and power.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im not referring racial inequality. I am referring to the black female vice president. The identity politics is going to keep disenchanted people home. Harris and Abrams reek of it. The other candidates could be promising but they will need to be strong. IMO, if Biden is more interested in playing identity politics, he is best to go with a white woman. That will sway many of the females from that middle right camp.

We are still several months out and sadly at this point, I feel Trump has a better chance this election than he did 2016.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I love Warren, but you cannot have 2 - 70+ year olds on the ticket.

TexasTofu likes this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You can't vote for Harris, I guess you are staying home. Klobuchar is done because of her history in not going after Police misconduct. Warren would be my choice, if she wasn't 70 (you cant have that old of a ticket). Really, the only choice is Harris.

12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Still don’t fully understand your hatred for her...but you know good and well Trump has to be defeated. Not voting for Biden is a vote for trump.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Honestly I think Kamala is worse than Trump.

Add in Biden's age and the fact that he can't complete a thought or a sentence , what I see is he's removed via the 25th in very short order and we have Kamala as President , Pelosi as VP and who knows who ends up the new speaker ..... all with the extreme likelihood that the Dems increase their majority in the House and take the Senate .... and we have Kamala at the head of the table ?

Sorry .... No.

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Agree to disagree I guess. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that Biden won’t make it through his term. He does well in debates. I could make highlight reels on YouTube of many politicians that would make us question their sanity. I do think Harris would be groomed to be the 2024 nominee, but there’s no guarantee she would win the presidency or even survive the primaries

RayRay10 and Corrosion like this.
  15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You didn’t answer his question and you’re rambling.

Night night :)

joshuaao and jiggyfly like this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yep. I think it's going to be Kamala. Barring a longshot.

I think Klobuchar is done, because of the police. I'm sure they love the idea of Val Demmings because of her police background, but while she was chief in Orlando, they were sued a couple times for excessive force, IIRC, so I think that rules her out. To me, those are the other two top choices outside of Kamala.

Not a fan of Warren, but I guess it could be her. Lance Bottoms is a longshot, to me, but could be an interesting choice. I think she goes against what he's said, though, about having someone ready to step in from day one.

I don't think Whitmer is it. I don't think the governor from New Mexico is either.

That leaves Kamala.

It's time to accept it. She's at least tough, In a Trump kind of way (although seems to be a decent person). She's more of a man than Pence, so those debates would be interesting.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If the liberal rage mob cancels Klobuchar because of the Floyd ordeal, and then picks Kneepads Harris, they will be making a colossal mistake. I'd love to see it! Harris is the epitome of an identity-politics candidate. She sucks as a candidate in every way possible, but hey, she checks some boxes!

As you recall, the media attempted to anoint her very early on in the primary process. It proved too heavy of a lift - yes, she was that bad.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's hard to take you seriously when you say bizarre crap like this.

Trump currently is putting a case in front of the Supreme Court to claim that he has "Absolute Immunity" as President and cannot even be investigated and that Congress has no power of oversight. Not to mention having questionable mental stability, and filled with hate on top of his insistence on becoming a dictator.

Trump is a threat to our democracy and constitution.... but Kamala Harris.... um.....is worse... as VP???..... Come on man. Then you go on about Biden's age blah blah blah... honestly you come off as just another Trump supporter who just wants to bait liberals into arguments when you say crap like this.

DVauthrin, joshuaao, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How is Biden on a "race thing"? He's only mentioned a woman and when pressed about picking a woman of color in interviews Biden has said clearly that it's best fit, and about a working relationship like the one he and Barrack had that is most important. So he's obviously setting expectations HIMSELF that you shouldn't rule out people like Warren, etc. just because they aren't black or brown.

I think folks often conflate MSNBC, and CNN as mouthpieces for the Democratic Party and their nominee, and I admit that if you tuned into Don Lemon or Lawrence O'Donnell it would be easy to believe that Biden is only looking at Kamala, Stacy Abrams, and Susan Rice, but if you actually follow Biden's interviews and his camp, I think you'll see a campaign that has been pretty upfront that they are just in the interview process with quite a few options, and haven't even started the vetting process yet. They are targeting August/September to announce a VP.

So I don't think there's a "Race Thing" going on with Biden's camp. With CNN and MSNBC maybe it would seem that way, but I would encourage you and others to stop conflating those two networks with The Democratic Party. They do not serve the interests of the party and often work against it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

FEAR. That means she is the right choice.