1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...bout-possible-vice-presidential-pick-n1166231

Biden has talked with Obama about possible vice presidential pick
    Biden told Georgia donors his nominee would have to be prepared to step into the top job immediately.

Democratic presidential front-runner Joe Biden said Sunday that he has talked with former President Barack Obama about a potential vice presidential pick.

Speaking to over 70 Georgia donors on a fundraising call, Biden said he and Obama recently agreed that his vice presidential nominee must have the political experience to step in as president if he were unable to serve.

"The most important thing — and I've actually talked to Barack about this — the most important thing is that there has to be someone who, the day after they're picked, is prepared to be president of the United States of America if something happened," Biden said.

Without mentioning names, Biden told donors his team is considering at least seven women. The vetting process, which a campaign official described to NBC News as "vigorous," will begin in a "matter of weeks," he said.

During a CNN debate with Sen. Bernie Sanders last week, Biden said he planned to select a woman as his vice presidential candidate should be become the Democratic nominee.

"They have to be prepared," Biden said. "Once I pick someone, God willing, if I'm the nominee, that there's not going to be any snafu."

Biden has said repeatedly that he would prefer to pick a woman as his vice president, but he disclosed only recently that he is taking his age — he is 77 — into consideration as he makes his choice.

"I have to pick someone if, God forbid, tomorrow, if I contracted what my son had or something like that, that the person is ready on day one to be president of the United States," Biden said in February at a CNN town hall in Manchester, New Hampshire.

He then added, "But the second criteria is I would very much like my administration to look like the country, like Barack and our administration looked like."

Obama has said he will not endorse during the Democratic primary, but Biden has said the two have spoken regularly during the campaign, with Obama as an informal adviser. Obama has also advised other former Democratic presidential candidates.

Biden has said he would like to have the kind of respectful and trust-filled relationship with his running mate that he and Obama enjoyed, calling it "simpatico."

Among the women Biden has mentioned as potential vice presidential picks are former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams and Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and Kamala Harris of California, the latter three once candidates themselves for the presidential nomination.

Former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates, whom Biden has mentioned as a possibility, was on the donor call Sunday, and he described her as "incredible person."

Biden also told the donors he did not think the general election should be postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak.

"We voted in the middle of a Civil War," he said. "We voted in the middle of World War I and II. And so the idea of postponing the electoral process is just, seems to me, out of the question."

Sunday's fundraiser had originally been scheduled to take place in Atlanta, but all of Biden's in-person events were suspended two weeks ago as the virus began to spread across the United States. The fundraiser was his second virtual event in the past week.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Let me help you with your VP pick, Dentures McShaky.

• Abrams: Doesn't have the depth of experience needed, kind of got crazy after losing the gubernatorial race, looks horribly out of shape
    • Warren: Lied about her race to advance her career, fake as hell, hasn't endorsed Biden
    • Yates: Part of the coup, partisan to the core, untested as a politician; the definition of Swamp creature.
    • Harris: Flopped when put on the national stage, not authentic, history as a prosecutor didn't help her. Slept her way to the top; could secure role by allowing Biden to sniff her hair and maybe allowing some limited touchey feeley.
    • Klobuchar: The best of a sorry lot, but milquetoast and boring, apparently has a rage problem with her staff, so many rage-filled liberals may relate well to her

GOOD DAY

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It will be someone capable of running should he tap out. Dude isn't lookin good.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

She didn't lie about ****. You look out of shape. Either Warren or Abrams would be inspired picks. I don't really know what Yates, Harris or Klobuchar get you. And that's a royal you, not you specifically dipshit.

Yates be would be a great add to the new DOJ. She can be part of the party that arrests Trump, lol.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This deserves a bump.

I wonder who he'll pick as a running mate? He's painted himself in a corner a bit by declaring that it will be a woman. I was surprised that he said that. Not because I'm against a woman being the VP, or president, for that matter. Just that he said it. Saying it wasn't going to make an appreciable difference in the outcome of the primaries, in my opinion, and I don't think it did. Speaking in the past tense because Bernie has essentially dropped out. "Suspending" your campaign is political speak for "I give up." So a nod to Bernie for a strong effort, and on to who Joe is going to have running with him.

Since we have to look at women, Biden's declared preference, who will it be? The Democratic governor of New Mexico mentioned in the OP is an intriguing idea, so I spent a few minutes finding out more about her. Almost exactly a year ago, she signed bills instituting mandatory background checks for gun purchases between individuals and a "red flag" law. That's a moderate stance approved by a large majority of Americans, as well as political figures including Lindsay Graham and Marco Rubio after the mass shootings this country has experienced far too many times. Mr trump was for it until the NRA asked him to be against it. His opinions change by the day, of course, so that wasn't a surprise to me.

She is a strong supporter of improving the welfare of Native Americans and is very concerned about the lack of attention given to them by the federal government during the pandemic. Lack of attention pretty much summing up the relationship between Native Americans with their unique status and their treatment at the hands of Washington.

That's a couple of the positions taken by Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham. She would provide some balance for the ticket coming from a Western state, Biden hailing from Delaware. She's best described as a moderate, but on the progressive side, in my opinion. She was the first Democratic Latina elected governor in the history of the United States and a 12th generation New Mexico native. Serving 3 terms in Congress, she served as chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, where "she became a vocal, national leader in the battle against reactionary federal anti-immigrant policies."

Relatively unknown nationally, but a pretty appealing choice, should Biden go that way. I'll look into one of the other possibilities sometime tomorrow.

#65 Deckard, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm fine with most of the candidates listed provided they're under 60 and are properly vetted.

Call me ageist or whatever.

Ideally it should be a good pairing to help attract folksy middle american wi folk. Joe is warmest among the Dem candidates with that demo (Bernie draws attention there though), but not hot. Someone like Amy, if she isn't revealed to be a "scary liberated feminist" or "Hillary-like" would probably help attract voters who want the opposite of Trump.

I dunno how she'd match up against corn-fed potato head among the Belters, but that's months off.

imo, Dems are better off winning with an steady open hand than a shaky closed fist.

I dunno for sure though. Great Devastation is coming.

Even if we cure/handle this shitstorm in a couple months, it'll depend on whether people are looking for comfort or looking for blood.

#66 Invisible Fan, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Anyone but Kamala.

Andre0087 likes this.
  8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

That senator from Nevada, Masto-Cortez, I really like her. Exceedingly bright and she’s been in the senate since 2016 after serving as Attorney General of NV. Fairly young, Hispanic roots, steady hand. I think she would be a solid choice if not Klobuchar

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

A great read for those curious about what Abrams could bring to the table as a running mate.

Also, I suck at posting articles. Apologies.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yeah, pick the ONLY one of the people who LOST their state-wide race....because she had Good exit polling in various demographics.....LOL>

Astrodome and Severe Rockets Fan like this.
  11. baller4life315

Do yourself a favor and read about the circumstances surrounding that election. Read about the lengths then GA SOS (person in charge of overseeing the election in which he was competing in), Brian Kemp, went to in order to narrowly defeat her in a very Red state.

Her story is what will resonate and endear her to the country (especially the Black community) once it’s front-and-center on a larger scale.

Plus, aren’t you from the state that created Beto?

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's going to be Michelle Obama. Only way to get the dems excited and out to vote for Biden.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It DOESN'T matter. She has not held a Governorship, US Senate, not a Congressional seat. If you are VP, imho, you need to come from that pool.

And I'm black.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  14. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This would be a late season twist greater than any WWE plotline. Would like and subscribe to that channel.

Nook, Deckard, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  16. baller4life315

That’s your opinion, and IMHO, the trap you’re falling into. Placing aside the fact that many being considered are first-term Senators, Governors and Congresswomen thus completely undercutting the experience argument you and others are making. You’re making the mistake of thinking, in the era of Donald Trump, you can follow a script and beat this guy. That you have to pick someone that fits a specific mold.

I don’t buy it. I say ditch the arbitrary standards and go with someone with will generate excitement. Finding the picture perfect VP candidate that checks off every little box isn’t going to matter much if you don’t win in November.

Biden needs somebody that will create excitement and interest. We can’t put another Tim Kaine on the ballot.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

The flipside is that you might be making the mistake of overreacting to one fluke election, where Trump lost by millions of votes but eeked out a win through a fluke of circumstances where he won a whole slew of states by less than 1%. And based on that, you're saying the party that has won the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 elections needs to basically throw a Hail Mary and go way outside the box. I'd argue that ignores the endless series of elections since 2016 that the Dems have won, often with less-than-exciting candidates and less-than-exciting messages. My guess is this election ultimately is about two things:

1. Do people want Donald Trump as their next President?
    2. If not, do they feel comfortable with the alternative?

That's it - excitement and all that is way overrated, because this election is going to have record turnout simply based on Trump. The GOP playbook is going to be similar to 2004 - "we know you don't like us, but these other guys are worse". Biden is the perfect candidate for this situation because people don't particularly hate him or have a reason to vote against him in #2. The VP candidate also won't change the answer to Q1 - it's all about Q2. This is why Bernie and Warren were less-than-ideal candidates. Don't give anyone a reason to go back to Trump. If the Dems do that, every election the last 3 years shows that Dems will win, and win big.

Deckard, Jayzers_100 and adoo like this.
  18. baller4life315

Palin was a Hail Mary. Abrams is just different in the sense that, no, she’s not your typical running mate. She isn’t a white dude that’s been a Senator for 30 years. I’m making the point let’s stop being so boring and predictable. There’s no stronger argument than to simply choose somebody that’s strong in areas where Biden is not.

The problem with your analysis, as reasonable as it is, is it hinges upon this public health crisis being resolved by Election Day. We’re heading into such unknown and unprecedented territory. Nobody knows what the landscape will look like. Nobody knows what type of legislation might get passed.

All I know is this: if this virus is still around and coming around in waves — voting is going to be extremely difficult, confusing and potentially dangerous. There goes your high voter turnout. Your options will be to either risk being infected voting in person the traditional way or some form of an alternative (i.e. legislation passed, mail-in ballot, etc). The latter requires people to pay attention. People aren’t good at that. They need a reason to be engaged.

Minority communities are getting hit especially hard during this crisis. I think the best way to keep them energized and informed is to make a bold choice like Abrams. Plus, Trump has made no secret his plans to make inroads with the Black community, specifically. Abrams helps with that as well.

RayRay10, Nook and Major like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Abrams wouldn't work - just that it's risky and I think this is an election where Dems don't need to take a risk. I agree with everything you say about her strengths, but I think do think national credibility is an issue for her. And I would point to Beto as a comparison - similar star-power rise, energized the base, lost a close election in a red state in his first campaign at the state level, everyone projected him as the next Democratic star. He'd have been a force if he ran for Senate this cycle, but when he went on the national stage, proved to be a total dud and now is a bit of a joke. Abrams just hasn't been on this stage before - we have no idea what her appeal will be when she has to talk bigger issues or appeal beyond Georgia. I think her path should have been Senate 2020 to capitalize on her star power, but once she declined that, it's Governor 2022 (which is a better stepping stone than Senate anyway).

If Biden was running against Rubio, for example (or any other GOPer with more traditional appeal), I think Biden would be in a weak position, and an Abrams type as VP could be a big boost. But he's designed for a race against Trump - he's the perfect antitode to 4 years of this mess. I think in that scenario, you don't want to do anything that risks backfiring.

That said, my particular choice is a governor (if and only if this virus settles down by June - otherwise, a governor really can't resign their job to campaign) and both of the ones mentioned a lot (Michigan and New Mexico) have limited experience too. But I feel they are being tested in a real-time with this issue (and Michigan's governor, in particular, on the national stage to a degree given Trump's focus on her). If not a governor, I think Klobuchar is probably the pick. Solidify the midwest and it's virtually impossible for Trump to win.

For this, I again point to Wisconsin. Voters *hate* Trump, and in a low turnout election, that's going to count more than Trump's base liking him. And that was with Dems telling people it's crazy to vote and Trump begging people to vote.

20. biina

biina Member

Do you need to make every thread about Trump and his 'female molester' tendencies?

Deckard likes this.