1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Klobuchar fuels speculation she's the chosen one

Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Michelle is great but I fear it would just be seen as a pandering move to re-create an Obama/Biden ticket

Corrosion likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Oh it would.

And I think 75% of the country would gladly go back to that at this point.

noppeper, Deckard, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Is Tim Kaine busy?

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What was with that pick FYI? Of all the boring dudes to pick from.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I just don’t really understand the vitriol around Kamala but I know you aren’t alone here so I would hope that Biden’s camp takes note of the deep hatred some have for her online and explore if there’s something to it that is worth caring about.

I don’t get it, is it because she was a prosecutor? Is it cause you think she screwed her way to the top?

I personally thought she had the highest ceiling of anyone running and was surprised when she couldn’t quite take off with such a crowded field. It’s kind of proof that the DNC really doesn’t rig elections because if they did I 100% believe she’d be the nominee by now.

7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I think that's due to Kamala being a prosecutor during the "tough on crime" 90's and then trying to appeal to progressive Democrats now. Kamala, and Klobuchar (who has a similar record), both had trouble connecting to certain segments of the Democratic party that see them as part of the problem and don't like how they rose to the position that they are in while expressing views that tend to go against how they rose to power.

Kamala gets a little harsher treatment because she's black and "turned" on her own race by prosecuting many black and minority individuals, sentencing them to hard time, and then trying to appeal to the black citizenship by saying she's one of them while running. She really needed to address that part of her rise to this position, but she never did during her campaign. Then again, her campaign was a mess as her campaign team was full of unqualified family members, friends and hangers-on before it eventually died...which probably was good for her as her staying in would only raise more questions towards her past.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Why do people want Michelle Obama? Since when has being the President's wife ever been a reason to vote for someone? Even Booker is better than that.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya I think there are more experienced people but let's not pretend Michelle is Melania or something. She's a self made woman with a Harvard Law degree who married Obama before he was famous.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

In his interview on MSNBC last night, Biden said that experience on the presidential debate stage would be a factor. He quickly added that other experience mattered too, but then closed by admitting again that it was important.

I think Kamala, Warren and Klobuchar are heavy favorites now.

baller4life315 likes this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There's nothing that says he has to be President should something happen to Biden. He could serve as VP and then immediately resign if Biden can't perform the duties, allowing the Speaker to become President.

I hope so.

Early on, I had thoughts of Joaquin (or Julio) Castro as VP. Latino, younger, experienced, and possibly puts Texas in play (latest RCP numbers have trump up by 2.6%).

#31 leroy, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  12. Major

Major Member

Bernie might consider Fidel?

On a serious note, I think "credible President" matters here due to Biden's age. I think that takes Castro out of the mix. Abrams too, probably, given her highest elected position is State Rep.

Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  13. justtxyank

Julian Castro is the worst "hot name" to be created in this cycle by the internet.

Not a fan and I doubt Biden would pick him after he tried to take him down with the dementia implication in the debate.

Deckard, jcf, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Booker or Klobuchar. Let's go

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think her first name probably scares the hell out of your average Trump supporter................

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If he said that, it's gonna be Klobes.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think the electoral math will make the decision for him. It has to be someone who plays well in the Midwest.

Nobody hanging out there screams "I will flip Florida, Arizona, North Carolina".

Major likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

If we're looking at debate stage people, I'm not sure what Kamala brings to the table. Black voters like Biden more than her, and she doesn't bring anything in competitive states. Amy makes a lot of sense, if Biden's OK with an all-white ticket. Warren brings over progressives, though apparently many Bernie people are pissed at her for not endorsing, and the more rational progressives will vote for Biden regardless.

If he goes off the debate stage, I think a governor or former governor would be a good option to give more diversity of experience than just the Senate. Or if he goes after demographics, I think targeting the Latino crowd would be smart.

19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I read somewhere recently that Biden stated he would choose someone whose views on policy align with his own. I would think that rules out Warren, sadly.

At this point, I think Michigan's Governor Whitmer makes a lot of sense. She's a moderate Dem from the Midwest, a she, and she would bring executive and legislative branch experience.

There's this too: "During the gubernatorial election, she was the only Democratic candidate not to support a single-payer healthcare system.[27] As governor, she has focused on women's healthcare and Medicaid expansion." (Wiki)

And I could totally see Joe giving her a shoulder rub while discretely whiffing her hair.

I couldn't find the article where Biden said that about Warren, but I did find this one where Jill Biden comments on Kamala:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...kamala-harris-as-joe-biden-veepstakes-pick-up

Deckard and Major like this.
  20. justtxyank

It was his interview last night. He was clear that any VP would have to be "simpatico" with him on major issues because he believes in the Obama model of giving the VP a chunk of the portfolio and letting them go handle it, knowing they share your policy visions. He said too much comes across the desk for the president to do it alone and so he absolutely had to have a VP who shared his vision that he could trust to carry out his policy agenda without him managing them.

FrontRunner and RayRay10 like this.