1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

So tell me, you want character and moral fiber to be a central issue in a Trump v. Biden election? Is the Donald gonna run as a devoted husband, doting father? Are those women in the swing states gonna all of a sudden vote for trump over Biden?

2. TheresTheDagger

The assertion made above is misguided.

No serious political observer thinks Biden's troubles here will funnel votes towards Trump. Rather, a credible sexual assault accusation most assuredly can and probably will cost Biden votes. Some people will be turned off enough by this to either vote 3rd party or refuse to vote for President. The only question is how many voters will react this way?

Astrodome likes this.
  3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Interesting observation. I know a couple of people who say they won’t vote for Biden based on this allegation. They’re certainly not voting for trump. There will be no net gain for trump from this because he has far more accusations against him. Suburban women are gonna overwhelmingly vote Biden this time around. He appears to have the edge with elderly voters as well. As is, Biden appears to have this election wrapped up. Long time till November though

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Shining a light on Biden's sexual assualt(s) will cause many voters to simply not vote for Biden. Whether they vote for Trump is immaterial. As long as they don't vote for Biden. The greatest form of voter suppression is negative campaigning... making a voter's alternative less compelling... and giving that voter a reason to just sit it out... The other way to persuade traditional Democrats to sit it out is to literally stroke them a check for $1200 per person... like what just happened... Biden's in trouble, ya'll.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Upload the whitey tape!!!!

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

All I'm going to say is that we could have chosen the principled man rather than the reactionary hindsight candidate who likes sniffing hair.

But universal public health insurance is scary so let's select the dude who's opponents can dish out similar attacks that we dish out at Trump.

Obviously the posters here who are trying to equivocate Trump's 25+ allegations to Biden's one or two allegations are coming from a place of bad faith. But we could have chosen someone where the only debate would be in the realm of policy rather than gutter level character assassinations.

This upcoming election campaign will have little do with policy. It's going to be pure character attacks from here on out with no genuine substantive discussion to help American people. That's the sad reality of having these two people as our choices.

#1846 fchowd0311, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If I were Biden, I'd choose Tammy Duckworth, but I probably value military experience more than others. If he chose Abrams, it would be the first major party presidential ticket of two out-of-office politicians in forty years ('80 Reagan/Bush).

Just have to avoid duds like Lieberman, Edwards, and Kaine. People say running mates don't really matter and to choose who you'd want to work with in the White House, but in these super close elections, even a marginal change could make the difference. Maybe Bob Graham helps Gore win Graham's home state of Florida. Maybe Dick Gephardt helps Kerry win Ohio. Maybe Cory Booker would've helped energize voters in Detroit, Milwaukee, and Philadelphia.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I’ve yet to see a person (even the dumbest people on Facebook) suggest that the stimulus checks came from Trump’s personal bank account instead of a joint measure by the Senate. Clueless as to how the $1200 relates to voting in November. There will be like 12 people who don’t vote for Biden because of the Tara Reade story. Everyone else is on board with voting for Trump’s opponent. Will you admit that you don’t know much about the American public when Trump loses? Or will you double down and say the election was rigged? Curious

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't think that's true. When you have 137 candidates, name recognition and historical whimsy are going to win out every time. It's a shame, but that's where we are.

I'm not worried anymore, honestly. Two Scoops and his vast empire of media enablers like CNN were always going to make the 2020 election all about him. It almost doesn't matter who you run against the PrimaDonald as long as you pick someone not named Clinton.

RayRay10, ElPigto and Jayzers_100 like this.
  10. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

...literally what the Democrats attribute their 2016 loss to... and have been doing for going on 4 years now... without a shred of evidence...

11. fchowd0311

Democrats actually readily admit that Clinton was a bad candidate.

The problem with your talking points and right wing talking points is there is no grey area or nuance. It's either we completely blame the election on Russia or they had nothing to do with it. There is no in between.

Here is the reality. Clinton was a relatively tarnished candidate. DNC had better options but they treated Hillary and the Clinton family as the anointed ones. But the slow trickle of private correspondences that had little context in them where the leakers we're adding their own context and assumptions and timing it perfectly right after the Trump "grab em by the p***y tapes" showed clear motivated agenda to help Trump. Seeing as how our own intelligence agencies have linked the hacking of DNC private correspondences to the state of Russia means they had some influence. Seeing as how they also have massive troll farms that spam social media sites also made an impression on the American public as the American public really relies on social media memes and posts for their knowledge on politics.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Yet another Sanders operative/supporter.

ElPigto likes this.
  13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

1. I respect the will of the voters.

2. But

[​IMG]

14. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Bingo. As much as I disagree with Bernie's philosophy, he is a principled man and he is free of the problems that plague Biden: corruption, sexual assault, plagiarism, and groping/sniffing of young girls. Why wasn't he nominated?? If the answer is Biden's name recognition, which it appears to be, then that's really an indictment of Democratic primary voters for not doing their homework and vetting the candidates...

15. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed.

The problem is the the accuser has serious credibility issues at this point concerning what actually happened.

For years her version of the story was relatively mild and now suddenly Biden was digits deep inside her.

joshuaao, jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  16. fchowd0311

Ya I understand it's an issue but I have a bigger problem with GOP primary voters out of a field of 17 chose the dude who doesn't understand the difference between life and health insurance.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Wether she embellished the story over time or didn't, we do know SOMETHING happened unless you believe she was a Bernie operative in 1993.

Again, this is no where near what it would take for someone like me to decide it isn't worth chosing Biden over Trump.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, in today's world-leading US of America response to the pandemic, the two types of insurance are closer than ever. :D

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

No, Clinton won the popular vote and Trump won the electoral college. Rational, everyday humans realize this. We know there was potentially some type of Russian influence one way or another, but everyone realizes Clinton was a weak candidate and Trump had the element of unknown going for him. I realize you spend all your time on the internet so I can forgive you for believing everyone is gullible

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As someone who can speak from experience as a Democrat primary voter (you are obviously not one so you do not know), I can say that you are wrong that Biden was nominated based on name recognition alone.

There's a really good reason why Dem voters who were not Bernie diehards, kept on flopping from Kamala, to Warren, to Pete, etc. They did so because they were shopping for the best candidate, and they ultimately saw too many flaws in Bernies platform (and mostly M4A as the primary issue in Nov) so they all ultimately thought that Biden's candidacy was the most relevant right now to beat Trump.

I fought long and hard myself as did my wife and everyone I know that isn't a Trumper. My wife voted for Bernie, and I voted for Biden, and my wife shortly after said she probably should have voted for Biden, but voted for Bernie because of the high schoolers she taught were all about him.

And the fact is that far more people believe those things on its face about Trump (Sexual assault, corrupt, etc) than believe that about Biden. Going after Biden on corruption for stupid made up nonsense and innuendo will only give light to Trump's own flagrant corruption. Unless Trump has real legit evidence to support the theories, the Trump campaign is better off running on traditional Republican nonsense (like race baiting immigration, the debt, etc.) The rule of thumb is don't bring something up about someone else that you know you are worse off on than the person you are accusing.

I'm not saying that Biden will for sure win given how difficult it is for a Democrat to win the electoral college in general, but I do think that Trumpers really have no real grasp of how to deal with Joe Biden, and he is the biggest threat to both get Trump out of office, AND lose the Senate. Don't take my word for it... take the word of the Trump campaign who obviously wanted anyone else but Biden to win the nomination. I know YOU don't believe it (you are a ring winger for godsake) but the fact is RIGHT NOW alot of Americans believe Biden is a good decent man, and has a policy platform that is widely acceptable & progressive when it needs to be. Yes, he is flawed, and yes he could lose. Nobody is saying he's for sure going to win, but the fact is, you obviously do not understand the reality of the two candidates who will be judged by voters in the fall.

Rashmon, No Worries, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.