1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's possible and probably probable. But who knows what momentum can do. That being said, momentum favors Bernie right now.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

That's not really a problem as long as Bernie's not getting anywhere close to 50% of the delegates. If Biden becomes the only credible moderate, he'll win plenty of delegates the rest of the way. He may not cobble together a majority, but as long as him + Pete + Amy + Bloomberg have a majority, he'd almost certainly be the nominee. He just needs Pete/Amy/Bloomberg to drop out / fall after Super Tuesday to blunt Bernie's momentum. 60%+ of the delegates will still be available a week from now.

Nook, SamFisher and jiggyfly like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I agree that if Bloomy/Pete/Amy dropped out, Biden would have a chance at competing with Bernie, but saying Biden would certainly be the nominee is a big stretch.

I'd like Bernie's chances against Joe in a 1v1 with a 100+ delegate head start. I think the more people hear Bernie speak, the more people hear Joe attempt to speak, the more they will like Bernie, the less they will like Joe.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

Sorry - I meant he'd be the near certain nominee only if him + Pete + Amy + Bloomberg have a majority. Obviously, Bernie can still win if he wins this thing outright, or realistically, even if he get close and there's a big gap with whoever's 2nd.. But I don't see any of Pete/Amy/Bloomberg outperforming Biden, so if the "moderates" have a majority, it seems like Biden would be the most likely guy.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The question will be what happens to Biden's candidacy at that point if Bernie berns the place down.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So your talking about through the convention Joe would be picked, sure I could see that happening, but if Bernie has the most delegates of any candidate, and he doesn't get the nomination, it's going to be a problem.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's the more like if the DNC demolishes the party, if you don't give the candidate with the most delegates the nomination, it's no longer a democratic process, which would make a lot of people who are voting for the democratic party upset.

8. Major

Major Member

It'll be a big test of Bernie's claim that "the most important thing is to beat Trump".

If the moderates have 55-60% of the delegates, but Bernie has a plurality around 35%, I don't think there's any way Bernie ends up the nominee even if he threatens to burn it all down. If he's closer to 45% and the best individual moderate is maybe 25%, then Bernie probably rightly gets it, I assume?

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Of course it's a democratic process. They are the rules that everyone agreed to and the party voted on, and that have been in place for generations. Even Bernie didn't ask for that to be changed. They are even the rules in the Constitution for the electoral college - a plurality doesn't win you the Presidency. If no one gets a majority in the EC, superdelegates (the House) decide.

The only thing non-democratic would be to change the rules after the game has started.

joshuaao, jiggyfly and justtxyank like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is a ridiculous argument.

There are runoffs all over the country in every state every year for various elections up and down the ballot because nobody got a majority.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Biden just wins.

AleksandarN, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For real? These guys are both known commodities. Bernie has hit his ceiling. Biden has hit his floor.

What matters more is where the not Joe not Bernie voters will break. Draw your own conclusion on that.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who you think has not heard Bernie speak?

He just ran for president in 2016 and is not really saying anything new.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not how democratic processes work.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That is how a democratic process works, and I'd take it a step further, I believe in 1 person 1 vote.

It's just not how the process for the democratic party works.

17. Major

Major Member

Neither party's nomination process, nor the federal election process, is built around 1 person/1 vote, or plurality wins.

AleksandarN, Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yup.

19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Joe looked VERY solid in his victory speech tonight. I’m fully behind him at this point. Wasted my vote on Amy the other day but that’s okay

Nook, Major and justtxyank like this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is Joe senile? No
    Has Joe had some typical loss due to age? Yes
    Is it a problem? No. He's still sharper and knows more about the country, government, and running it successfully than Trump on his worst day.
    Also, Joe knows enough to appoint people and surround himself with folks that actually know how to the jobs for which they are assigned.